300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oceanside... how do they do it?

I was just looking at their PD website, and it stated they had something like 180 police officers. I live next to a city half the size, a lot less crime, and they have 140 officers and still can't keep up with what crime that have. How does Oceanside survive on such small amount of cops?

Heck, my agency covers 150,000 or so people spread over 420 square miles, with 165 sworn (from the Sheriff on down), and 20 of those are in Court Security, so realistically, it's 145. We are running very short right now, so we never have more than eight out on one shift, and often six or seven.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Superior training Matto, superior training.
      "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel View Post
        Superior training Matto, superior training.
        Obviously. I've just heard Oceanside is rough, and that small amount of cops seems dangerous.

Comment

Usually when departments start to run low on shifts, they are set to reactive only. Meaning they aren't proactively looking when they aren't on calls and just reacting to calls that come out. (unless they see something major going down)

Comment

By size, do you mean area, or population?

Oceanside is small in area, and it's a military town.

They have a gang problem, but they have a community that supports law enforcement efforts to contain the gangs. You didn't hear many people making excuses for the kid that shot Officer Bessant, but you sure saw a whole lot of everyday people line the streets for his funeral procession.
            Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

They have just over 200 officers for a town with just under 200k in population. That's pretty standard on the west coast. 1 officer to 1000 residents is, I believe, the national average staffing ratio. There are some cities out here that contract with sheriff departments and have a worse staffing ratio than 1:2k people.

That's how we roll on in CA. We can thank prop 13 for that. Prop 13 limited property taxes in the 70's and killed local budgets. California might be a "blue" state, but for the most part it is still rabidly anti tax.
              Get low, get ground, get tactical! Sprawl! Sprawl! Sprawl!

Comment

Thanks for the reply, guys. Yes I was talking about population.
                Glad to see they're supported. Wasn't there an officer killed a while back who was a marine? (maybe thats who you're talking about).

Comment

O'side has lost two officers in the last couple of years. Both in very senseless acts of violence.

Officer Tony Zeppetella

http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=16892

Officer Dan Bessant

http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=18641
                  Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nobody33 View Post

That's how we roll on in CA. We can thank prop 13 for that. Prop 13 limited property taxes in the 70's and killed local budgets. California might be a "blue" state, but for the most part it is still rabidly anti tax.
                    The prop is a two-edged sword - be thankful it's there though, because otherwise, assuming you bought a house in 2000 for $200K at a tax rate of 1.5% and the value now (thanks to the market boom) is $750K, your annual taxes would've increased from $3,000 to $11,250 over a six year period. There are many areas of the country that don't have home value assessment increase protection like California does, and over the last few years some people have really struggled to pay their property tax bills since the market values have shot up so much.

Eh, the market does what it does though. People are getting flushed out of their homes thanks to subprime mortgages and high tax bills, increasing the supply, and lowering the market values again.

END HIJACK.

Comment

Oceanside has done a lot towards cleaning up their town here in the last few years also. It's good to see since it's such a great location otherwise.
                      "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by willowdared View Post
                        O'side has lost two officers in the last couple of years. Both in very senseless acts of violence.

Officer Tony Zeppetella

http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=16892

Officer Dan Bessant

http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=18641
                        Hmm... where am I thinking of that this guy was a marine, had just started with a police department, and was proactive in dealing with gangs. I could have swore it was oceanside. He got shot by someone driving by I believe.

Comment

Nice Area

I've lived here in Oceanside for the past 10 years, retiring from the Marine Corps, it's a nice area.

We do have our share of problems that have gotten out of control:

Gangs
                          Prices of homes
                          Traffic
                          Illegal people

It seems Vista, which borders Oceanside has become more violent.

I'm currently in the process of joining the San Diego Sheriff's Dept.
                          I would like to join Oceanside PD, but they only hire a small number per year. The odds are not good.

Comment

The officer per 1000 population for Oceanside is about the average for most cities in the county. The general public usually has no idea how few of us there are out there on the streets. Most agencies nowadays dont have a lot of time for proactive work because of the sheer volume of radio calls.....thats just a side effect of low budgets/lack of manpower/etc. When I was working swing shift it wasnt uncommon to respond to 15-20 calls....kind of hard to be proactive when dispatch is clearing you from one call to respond to another priority call all night long. Its gotten a little better for us as we have hired more, but its still busy.

Oceanside and Vista both have a lot of gang problems......Vista is the busiest contract city with the SO (at least it was two years ago).

Comment

Gangs

What type of gangs is more prevalent in Oceanside/Vista?

Hispanic, Samoan, etc.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3868 users online. 266 members and 3602 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X