300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calif. Dept. Of Corrections BCOA Expectations

This question is for anyone that has attended BCOA in the last few years.
    I have been cleared to attend BCOA and was wondering what to expect. Is it a high stress academy just like any police academy ? make you run alot ? etc. etc. ? any help and hints to get by smoothly is appreciated. I will be living at BCOA so anything to do with that to.
    Thanks, E-DOG
    Last edited by E-DOG; 05-12-2007, 04:31 PM. Reason: editing typos

CDCr Academy

The academy is lower stress than a Sherriff's academy. The worst part about it is the food. When I went, you couldn't leave at night, but I heard that has changed. The farthest we ran was 1.5 miles, which is pathetic. You will do some sprints and circuit training. You will either live in a 4 man room or an open dorm with about 20 (pray for 4 man room). The academics are not too hard as long as you pay attention. I'm sure it's changed some since I went through. Make sure you can run a half way decent pace for 2.5-3 miles and you will be safe either way. Make sure you can do atleast 30 push ups. Good luck. What institution are you going to?

Comment

Thanks for the 411. That sounds way to easy and if it is then Common sense should guide the way. I been assigned to Chino. What year did you attend ? I have read up on the traineee manual and it does state that you can leave at night as long as you back before lights out 11 pm. If theres anyone esle that recently graduated from BCOA, would like to hear from you.

Comment

Cim

I was class 3/99. Graduated May 99'. Left the department almost a year ago for a Police Dept. Started at Soledad, finished at Chino.

Comment

Ok, so was it your choice to transfer down to chino ? or do they like to move CO's around ? I live kinda close to chino and dont wish to move anywhere far.

Comment

e-dog,

for great info about the cdcr check out www.pacovilla.com

in order to see the cdc forum you have to be a registered member. register and it will appear. in the forum there is a thread tilted "i just finished the first week of the academy and..." you'll dig it. it is a great read and written very recently.
            "Hell is other people."
            - Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

Thanks alot. It is very interesting what they are all saying and how easy it is at the BCOA.

Comment

Originally posted by E-DOG View Post
                Ok, so was it your choice to transfer down to chino ? or do they like to move CO's around ? I live kinda close to chino and dont wish to move anywhere far.

Once you are there you don't leave unless you decide to transfer. The only exception is emergency forced transfers and they haven't done that for 10 years.

Comment

Hello,

I just put in an application over the internet with you department. How long did it take for you to get a test date? Also, how is the whole process? Any info would be helpful.
                  Thanks

Comment

It took me about a month before they sent over the date of exam. If you pass the exam then that same day you take the written pope with all 5,000 questions jk , about 700 questions to be real. Then they tell you to come back next week to do the PAT which is easy. Then I waited 5 weeks or so to find out who my BI was, then I was assigned a differnt BI then it took well over 100 days before I found out I passed the backgrounds, then a week after they set up my medical exam and 3 weeks later my psyc. after that it took another 3 weeks before I received my offer. So all in all it took 6 months to get a go but I heard of other candidates waiting 6 months to 1 1/2 yrs. All depends how difficult your background is. Be sure to give them accurate info on your PHS keep them informed on any changes. I wrote 3 letters to inform them of a change of address and they never seemed to have got it but on the 3rd try they did because I called them to confirm they got my info.

Comment

E-DOG,
                      Thank you for your response. Are they a more forgiving in the background process compared to any other agencies? Have you started training yet?

Comment

I wouldnt say they are more forgiving. If you have a record it depends what and when it happened.If it happened within the last 5 yrs I think there would be a problem. Your prior drug use is in question also but more forgiving then other agencies. I dont go until July 30th.

Comment

Do they let you choose which facility you want to work out of? I applied last week online, wanted to know if they just send you where ever there is an opening or If you can choose??
                          My LAPD Process
                          PQE - 7/07 - PASSED
                          PAT 1 - 7/24 - PASSED
                          Prelim BI - 7/25 - PASSED
                          Poly - 7/26 - PASSED
                          Oral - 09/15 - PASSED
                          Medical/Written Psych - 09/27 PASSED
                          Backgrounds - In Progress
                          Oral Psych - TBD
                          Cert. & Appointment - TBD

Comment

Where there are openings is where your going. But like my B.I. said they try to get you close to home cause every institution needs help. What I know is they give you three tries on locations if you say no to the third offer you are done with, no more chance no more offers ever.

Comment

Originally posted by E-DOG View Post
                              Where there are openings is where your going. But like my B.I. said they try to get you close to home cause every institution needs help. What I know is they give you three tries on locations if you say no to the third offer you are done with, no more chance no more offers ever.
                              thanks for the info. I applied last week online but they havent responded yet.
                              My LAPD Process
                              PQE - 7/07 - PASSED
                              PAT 1 - 7/24 - PASSED
                              Prelim BI - 7/25 - PASSED
                              Poly - 7/26 - PASSED
                              Oral - 09/15 - PASSED
                              Medical/Written Psych - 09/27 PASSED
                              Backgrounds - In Progress
                              Oral Psych - TBD
                              Cert. & Appointment - TBD

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3550 users online. 223 members and 3327 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X