300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHP now does a 5/8 schedule?

I was at a jail with a Chippie and he was telling me they switched to a 5/8 schedule for the entire agency statewide. Any merit to this? I feel like that would majorly suck for their officers. I work 3/12s and I can’t imagine working 5/8s in law enforcement...

5/8 is the way it used to be. When I applied almost 20 years ago, they told us all 5/8s. My ride-a-long was the full 8 hr shift. If you think it sucks, you don’t bleed Blue and Gold!

Personally, the biggest problem is the constant shift changes. Pick one and stick to it.
    semper destravit

Comment

Our guys do 10hrs. It station by station. It goes to a vote.
      I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

• SunDevil
        SunDevil commented
        Editing a comment
        Did you lateral to chp bro?

• moparfan
        moparfan commented
        Editing a comment
        No, I mean the guys out of my local office.

Oh its true. The chippies I work with can't stand it. Especially the ones who get days off on weekdays. They end up working their 5/8's and then spend their two days off in traffic court. They can't ever leave town unless they put in a request with their office and the court way in advance. I heard its causing a serious morale issue and CHP is starting to lose officers to local agencies.

Comment

I believe they are having a contract dispute. My understanding is they were due a fairly decent raise as SDPD got big money this last two years (and that was the lower of the five agencies they average for their pay scale), the state didn't want to pay it, and they have been out of contact for a year. As a result they lost the alternate work schedules to ensure they got the raises. I was offered a spot at the CHP academy back in 06, and the main reason I declined was I got a job with an agency that works ten hour shifts. It was a wise choice. 3 day weekends are awesome. If someone is more in the know and that's not fully accurate feel free to drop some knowledge.
        Last edited by nobodyjr; 07-09-2019, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nobodyjr View Post
          I believe they are having a contract dispute. My understanding is they were due a fairly decent raise as SDPD got big money this last two years (and that was the lower of the five agencies they average for their pay scale), the state didn't want to pay it, and they have been out of contact for a year. As a result they lost the alternate work schedules to ensure they got the raises. I was offered a spot at the CHP academy back in 06, and they main reason I declined was I got a job with an agency that works ten hour shifts. It was a wise choice. 3 day weekends are awesome. If someone is more in the know and that's not fully accurate feel free to drop some knowledge.
          That makes sense. The chippie I talked to was like their brass decided to make everyone 5/8s. I’ve seen some bone headed decisions but the majority of admin all started out as cops. I can’t imagine admin making a decision like that.

Comment

I'm on the road and typing from a hotel computer with a crappy keyboard, so I can't put a lot of effort into this response.

There is an agency within California State Government that deals with labor issues for all state agencies. They keep changing their name so I don't know if It's sttill the Department of Personnal Administration (DPA) of Cal HR. In any case, at one point several years ago, they granted permission for CHP and its employees to experiment with alternate work weeks, insluding the 3/12, for a limited periopd of time. CHP then went to the 3/12s. As with many large government agencies, no one kept track of the agreement and the 3/12 experimant went well beyond the agreend upon time limit. When it was discovered, DPA/Cal HR, or whatever they called themselves (and not the Brass) put a halt to it and said if it were to continue, it must be a "meet and confer" item and negotiated into the next contract. B ear in mind, contracts are negotoated between Unit 5 (the CHP Union) and DPA/Cal HR, not the Brass. The Brass may have some inpuit, but Cal HR/DPA is the final authority as they set policy for all agencies and what they do with CHP sets precident for all other agencies.

With respect to the contract, as a matter of law, CHP's compensation is to be the average of the five largest agencies in the state. There is a fixed formula for deteming the average so there is never any fighting overt how much it is. San Diego has always been low on their pay, so that has always held the average down. I believe that may change this time around. Because the figure is already determined, the question is how it will be spread out - in other words, how much will go to pay, how much will go to visible benefits (vacation, specialty pay, unitofmr allowance), how much will go to invisible benefits (employer's share/contribution to health insurance, etc.). CHP contracts are traditionally the last to be negotiated, because they are the most generous of all the state unions. If they are negotiated first, other unions will use what CHP got as a basis for crying "me too" and demanding the same as CHP got. Out of courtesy to the state, CHP goes last. Some Chipies don't understand that and attribute the delay to nefarious reasons when such is not ther case. If the contract is late, whet they get is retroactive.

With resp[ect to the 3/12, it did become a nightmare in some CHP Area offices. Because officers had more days off that they were working, their main priority became their personal lives than their jobs. There were a lot of unexcused no shows in court, because court fell on the middle of an officer's four days off and they did not want to interrupt their personal plans to testify. Because of high cost of living in metro areas, some officers lived as far as 400 miles away and joined together to rent a crash pad to say at in town when they worked their three days. No one would come back 400 miles for court on their days off. Because there were two, 12 hour shifts, court interfered with sleeping time for graveyard officers. By the time they got off, douibled back for court, and then doubled back for their next shift, they didn't have enogh sleep to pull another 12 hours and had to call in sick. This shorted their shift and screwed up their sleeping cycle. In the LA Metro area, Chippies average 100 to 120 duckets per month. Thats a lot of court time and a lot of disrupted sleep.

While a lot of guys loved 3/12s, just as many hated them and productivity within the organization dropped. with all the headached 3/12s created in the past, I will be surprised if they are brought back, but that's just me. I wouldn't be surprised if CHP Areas continue with 5/9 or 4/10, depending ion the needs of that Area Office.

Sorry for the crappy typing, but this hotel keyboard keeps addding letters I did not type.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

For my entire career with LASD I worked 8 hours a day 5 days per week.
              Retired LASD

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11915 users online. 447 members and 11468 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X