300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sd Sheriff's Help

Are there any SD Sheriff's out there that can explain what happens when a new Deputy finishes his/her court duty?

1. The Deputy graduates the academy with all the required training, then does a stint with the court, does he/she get remedial training for patrol duty when he/she arrives at their patrol station. All that time spent in the court, some training may go out the window
    2. Do they (SDSD), encourage a court Deputy to do some patrol time on the weekends so he/she can know something about patrol?

Thanks

i'm assuming you are talking about the law enforcement deputy and not court/detention deputy.

1. a LE SDSO deputy might goto jails, but most likely courts. you get orientation once your at your station. it's not like LASO, where they have patrol school. so if you're in court for 3 or 4 years and get sent to patrol, you better start studying on your own

2. you can go on "ride a longs" with the approval of command.

even better when you're in court (for example downtown courts), put in a transfer ASAP to field division. many deputies go that route before going to patrol. the field division of courts is where you serve papers and other stuff. iti's a good intro to patrol, the units. MDT, streets,etc. you can also do some law enforcement type stuff, although not encouraged. veteran deputies i know loved field division because you don't have to answer the radio and do paper calls. you're basically on your own.

in the meanwhile enjoy the courts, the 9-5 mon-fri schedule, meeting and talkin with normal peoples, meeting hot clerks and lawyers and jurors

Comment

Thank you

Thanks for the sound advice.

Comment

Get the job first toots....worry about the rest later.
        Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Are there any SD Sheriff's out there that can explain what happens when a new Deputy finishes his/her court duty?

1. The Deputy graduates the academy with all the required training, then does a stint with the court, does he/she get remedial training for patrol duty when he/she arrives at their patrol station. All that time spent in the court, some training may go out the window
          We used to have a 2 week patrol school prior to starting FTO. Now they have cancelled the patrol school and everyone goes straight to FTO with no refresher training.

2. Do they (SDSD), encourage a court Deputy to do some patrol time on the weekends so he/she can know something about patrol?
          IIRC the only way you can “do some patrol time” is on the clock. Which means you have to do it during your court shift. The court will have to work shorthanded that day so good luck with the request.

Lately the wait time for patrol has been under one year if you are willing to go to the north county stations. The latest 3 new deputies at my station each did less than a year in courts.

Comment

North County

That sounds great, North County is where I want to go.

Any idea what the chances are of going to the Vista Courts?

Comment

most if not all recruits goto downtown courts. at least you can ride the Coaster for free

Comment

Downtown courts it is.

I think Vista Court has experienced deputies waiting to go there. Downtown is not as desirable due to distance, traffic and parking issues. It seems a majority of the department lives in northern San Diego and Riverside Counties.

Comment

Coaster for free

Do LEO's ride the Coaster fro free?

If hired, I might just do that. It beats driving Northbound during rush hour.

Comment

Do LEO's ride the Coaster for free?
                    Yes.

Be forewarned, we just received an e-mail: George Bailey is short handed and wanting deputies to transfer. If they are that short, you may wind up there.

Really, you could wind up anywhere. Make sure you have a fuel-efficient vehicle!

Also don’t believe anything they say before you are hired regarding your first assignment. There are plenty of “broken promises” made regarding work assignments. Some people downtown only tell you what you want to hear.

Comment

Broken Promises

That sounds like the Marine Corps from my early days as Cpl/Sgt.

What is George Baily? Where is it?

If all goes as planned, I will not see the Academy until October.

Thanks

Comment

yep LEOs ride coasters and trolley's for free.
                        GB is the largest of the sheriff's detention center to house maximum security prisoners. It is in the middle of no where way south and east. it's hell of a commute on the 905. close to donnovan state prison.

Comment

no jail

We are being told that once graduated, Law Enforcement Sheriff's will not do jail time any more. They only do Court duty.

Is GB a jail only? I take it there is no Court there?

Comment

who told you that? i wouldn't trust the recruiters or anyone. by the time you're in the academy, things could change. the assistant sheriff might change their minds since there is a shortage of jail deputies.

definitely no courts close to GB. GB is way in the middle of no where. but i guess it ain't too bad if you live in chula vista.

Comment

George Bailey is down by Donovan State and East Mesa Detention.

It's pretty new, as far as jails go, and higher tech.

George Bailey also houses the Food Services Department for the Sheriff's, and it is a thing of wonder to see!!! They make all the food for the jails.

You will have yummy jail cookies at orientation.
                              Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3045 users online. 144 members and 2901 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X