300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DOAcop38 View Post
    Not trying to knock SD or its hard working coppers( good guys)- but i went on a ride along back in '05 ( my then girlfriend was a naval nurse stationed on Coronado) -San Dawg is alot NICER than L.A- a recent transport of a warrant suspect just to down town L.A. mini pursuit and arrest of two add'l armed felons -this is on a tuesday nite when nothing is supposed to be going on,and there were NO LAPD units in that whole div available to back me up-a passing L.A. School Pd unit had to help me transport the other arrestees! what I did see in SD was that ctzns literally think you guys should wipe their butts( a bum came up to our unit of G" st and wanted a ride to his motel,and later we ran across a female motorist in a audi that wanted the officers to change her tire-literally demanded it).
    You took a ride in the Central 20's area. Those are some of the hardest working officers on the department (especially on weekends), but it's night and day to the 10's, Mid-City and Southeast in respect to violent crime. There is no comparisson to LA, it's just not possible with the population difference. I am sure that there are plenty of stories out of the west side of LA about strange requests like your tire changing story . I have huge respect for LAPD. I grew up in LA and know areas you will never see me at. To do the job with a political history against you and a chief that disrespects his own men on television could not be easy.

Comment

Originally posted by DOAcop38 View Post
      Not trying to knock SD or its hard working coppers( good guys)- but i went on a ride along back in '05 ( my then girlfriend was a naval nurse stationed on Coronado) -San Dawg is alot NICER than L.A- a recent transport of a warrant suspect just to down town L.A. mini pursuit and arrest of two add'l armed felons -this is on a tuesday nite when nothing is supposed to be going on,and there were NO LAPD units in that whole div available to back me up-a passing L.A. School Pd unit had to help me transport the other arrestees! what I did see in SD was that ctzns literally think you guys should wipe their butts( a bum came up to our unit of G" st and wanted a ride to his motel,and later we ran across a female motorist in a audi that wanted the officers to change her tire-literally demanded it).In Sd ,people don't even regard the police-some will wave and walk by,but in LA- most citzens are "nervous" when you appear,as even the honest ones tend avoid police contact here.Most of the action on the ride along I saw were warrants,dUIs and 415 fights near downtown.The only time people are bold enough to yell pigs and throw things here ( in L.A.) is when there are several thousand of them,and then-as you see from local papers,60-100 coppers can still scare that crowd off.One thing that apparently hasn't changed - the short # you guys put out on patrol and the unhappiness with you paper chief ,money issues,and screwed up civie mgm't- you guys are really in a worse situation than LAPD on that one........
      I would say that's pretty accurate. I worked in the IE, and it was much worse than the heights or SE, which I've worked in too. We still do get to be a little more old school than LAPD... we can use the carotid still, carry 45's, deport illegals, use tear gas, get into car chases based on traffic violations, etc etc. Mid city, SE, and Central (heights) are all hopping during the summer.. and this year it looks like the hispanic gangs are gearing up for a gang war. From what I have been told, and experienced.. SD people are just more historically laid back, and that's reflected in the PD. We also don't have any projects, or extremely large section 8 only apartment complexes, like LA and the IE have. The housing authority spreads them all out. I think that makes a huge difference.

Though from what I understand while we have significantly less crime, we have more OIS's and assaults on officers than LA. That may have changed, but I think it might be because of the reasons people react differently to each agency as you stated above.
      Get low, get ground, get tactical! Sprawl! Sprawl! Sprawl!

Comment

Quickest way to end a riot in San Diego, is yell "surf's up!"

You know what's funny about San Diego? We've had some of the biggest newsworthy events happen here, but everyone forgets.

Brenda "I Don't Like Monday's" Spencer

James "Human Hunter" Huberty

Santana and Granite Hills school shooting

Craig Peyer (unworthy of the uniform)

Danielle Van Damm

Andrew Cunanan (from San Diego)

Brandon Wilson (from Wisconsin - committed murder in San Diego area)

Cedar Fire

PSA crash
        Last edited by willowdared; 05-08-2007, 08:21 PM. Reason: to clarify Brandon Wilson
        Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Stretch it to SD County, and you can add the "Hale-Bopp Cult" suicides....

Comment

Now you are bringing up memories:

Teenage cook shot by gunman Huberty in 1984 now a San Diego police officer

By Janine Zúñiga
            STAFF WRITER

July 18, 2004

Howard Lipin / Union-Tribune

The shots fired at point-blank range pierced both arms, his right leg, stomach and chest, and Alberto Leos crumpled to the kitchen floor next to three co-workers at a San Ysidro McDonald's.

Even with his injuries, the 17-year-old cook, three weeks into his first job, knew the others were dead. He could tell by the lifeless positions of their bodies.

During a harrowing 77 minutes 20 years ago today, Leos, a high school football star, watched in helpless horror as a heavily armed James Oliver Huberty "executed, killed families, babies, my manager."

In all, 21 people were killed and 19 wounded in what was, up to that time, the worst one-day massacre by a single gunman in U.S. history.

"All I remember is saying a prayer," Leos said. "I prayed to see my family one more time . . . before I died."

The McDonald's Massacre, as it came to be called, has faded for many San Diegans during the past two decades, but for those such as Leos who survived, it became the defining moment of their lives.
            link

San Diego police Sgt. Alberto Leos, preparing to go out on patrol recently, overcame five surgeries and two years of painful therapy after the McDonald's Massacre to fulfill his childhood dream of becoming a police officer.
            McDonald's Massacre

Al Leos used to be at CVPD when I was an Explorer. I didn't know he lateralled to SDPD.

Comment

Originally posted by IMachU View Post
              Stretch it to SD County, and you can add the "Hale-Bopp Cult" suicides....
              Thanks for the reminder!

There's more....

I think his last name was Harris?? Big death penalty case. Famous for killing two teenage boys and eating their food.

Scott Erskine...finally brought to justice thru DNA evidence. Two young boys raped, tortured and murdered. One of them was duct taped to a tree. The case was unsolved for decades.

The last one was especially hard for me. I lived in Imperial Beach at the time. There was a local transient who made it his life's mission to make sure no one forgot. While most had cardboard signs asking for money/work. His said "Let No One Forget."
              Last edited by willowdared; 05-08-2007, 08:19 PM.
              Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Dont forget Sagan Penn who is thankfully taking a dirt nap now.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzz View Post
                  Dont forget Sagan Penn who is thankfully taking a dirt nap now.
                  And a coal fire to keep him"warm"- but all in all,I love san Dawg! nice place and when I hit the fringes of Oceanside going south and see San diego coming up- I feel safe,at peace and happy-even in West L.A. ( Wet "latte") I sometimes have to look around and check my pocket for that.38 snubbie I carry.And every SD area copper I run into is cool ( if I'm going south to TJI've locked up my weapons in the SD Count central jail or even at Chula vista station ,without a gripe)-there used to be a sign on the 405 fwy going south thru carson -"a day in sand diego is like a week out of L.A."....
                  "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Originally posted by knecht View Post
                    Market st, Imperial, Logan Heights, Encanto, Euclid, etc are all bad areas, but Id much rather live there than Lynwood. Having lived in San Diego for years, and now LA for only a few months, San Diego is a much better fit for me.
                    Hey, I grew up in Lynwood during my teenage years!! But in all reality, it's getting better than it was in the mid 80's. I have done a few ride alongs with deputies in Lynwood, and they like the beat. I would rather be in San Diego than LA, just because of living conditions after work. The bad stuff comes with the job. I would asume any department has its share. Some more than others. Big population= more issues. I'm not a LEO, but hope to be someday. I will apply to as many departments as i can and hopefully get in somewhere. I would rather work somewhere that offers better living conditons without having a long commute to and from work.
                    Thank you to all that serve.

Comment

commuting

I think a large majority of LEO's like to commute due to not being in the same area where they bust criminals.

" Something about not eating in the same area where you poop."

Semper Fi
                      USMC Ret.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2050 users online. 141 members and 1909 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X