300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of state applicant looking for departments to apply to

Good afternoon everybody, I am currently living in Colorado and recently graduated from a University with a Bachelors Degree and I am pursuing a career in law enforcement, I am also looking to move to California and apply to some departments. I have done research on some departments and have talked to recruiters but I was wondering if anyone could tell me about departments in the Southern California area that would be worth researching and applying to, or departments in California that have a out of state applicant process, any information is greatly appreciated.

Question is why do you want to come to CA? Many if not all of us here will STRONGLY advise against it. The taxes, laws and everything else in this state suck. The pensions now are very similar to that of Colorado. life would.be much better in Colorado in my opinion
    I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

giphy.gif

Comment

San Diego PD

Comment

LAPD. We put an academy class through every month.

Comment

• NolaT
            NolaT commented
            Editing a comment
            How big are the classes?

That sounds like a large turn over rate.

LASD has an out of state process(if im not mistaken)

LVMPD(Las Vegas). you'll be out here 2 times before you start the academy(one for the written/physical, 2nd for background related portion)
          knowledge equals confidence

Comment

We have 10,000 sworn, which means we lose about 350 people per year for various reasons, mostly retirements. We try to keep our number at 10,000 so we are always putting academy classes of between 50-60 through every month.

We also have an expedited process. You can take all but one test in one week. The last test is the psyche interview with a Department psychologist.

Comment

Not sure if LASD allows a Basic Course Waiver, your have to call and ask
              I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

• SunDevil
                SunDevil commented
                Editing a comment
                Dudes entry not a lateral

Nope they dont.
              sigpic

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
              -George Orwell

Comment

• SunDevil
                SunDevil commented
                Editing a comment
                It’s all mute Dude isn’t a lateral, the last place on earth I’d tell someone from out of state to apply is LA, wish someone had warned me too

So pretty much any potential lateral from out of state should avoid Cali altogether? When visiting (San Diego) seems like the best place on earth. Real estate and gas prices are so ridiculous!

Comment

Apparently it all depends on your perspective. I've been on the job here for a long time and I wouldn't have changed it. However, when I retire in a few years I'll be leaving the state like most of us. But for the job, it's been great. This is just my perspective though.

Comment

I love working in So Cal. If you're a qualified candidate, you almost have your choice of departments. I know SDPD and SDSO are both hiring a lot of people. LA is always hiring like mentioned above. I believe LA County is having a crazy hiring boom right now too.

Comment

LAPD is still a great option as are several So Cal agencies. Every time someone asks "How about this agency?", there will be several people who love the department and others who hate the world. You should look at the benefits (active & retired), pay, and promotion opportunities. The Olympics will be going to LA in 2024(?) and one of the last meetings I was at before I retired was the big hiring push before then. The number LAPD was pushing was at least 12,000 sworn. I don't think it's doable, but the opportunity for good candidates to get hired is excellent.

There's is no perfect department. There's only perfect for you.
                    Policebackground.net - Background investigation consulting & forums
                    http://www.policebackground.net

Comment

San Diego PD

Comment

https://post.ca.gov/Law-Enforcement-Jobs

There's a reason that most every agency in the state is down significant personnel and can't backfill positions.
                        Other officer: Oh that's right, I forgot, you're God's gift to police work.
                        Me: At least someone recognizes it.

Turns out basic police work isn't so hard, you just have to leave the station.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11914 users online. 443 members and 11471 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X