Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NC LEO to CA bay area

Hey folks,

Im a current city cop in NC with 4 years of sworn experience. The wife may have a promotion and move with her company to the Bay Area (Palo Alto, specifically) in the next 6 months or so. With that, I am now looking at suggestions for Bay Area departments, basically anything within the San Mateo county, SF area.

My background:

-Currently 4 years sworn with municipal PD in NC
    -5.5 yrs former active service with Marines with honorable discharge
    -40 credit hours of college

I was stationed in SoCal when I was in the service and am familiar with that area (San Diego, LA, and as far north as Bakersfield) so California itself is nothing new to me, but I'm new to anything north of the areas above.

Also, best areas to live that you recommend considering that hub for my wife in the Palo Alto? Any particular municipalities are better and worth the commute?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
    "There's no such thing as a bad beer.....its only less awesome beer...."

"Liberalism is a mental disorder" - Michael Savage

$900k for a House, average. Rent is $2-6k, average. Your wife better be making triple digits, and you will need to commute, possibly 1-2 hours each way, if not more.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Okay, that was a generic Google response! We already know the cost of living, housing market - the liberal politics, etc etc.

Not worried about the $, we already know what comes with the territory financially and wouldnt consider the jump otherwise. Just looking for answers to my questions - what are good agencies? What are good neighborhoods in the $5k/mo rent range? Not looking to buy a home right away.

We dont have and dont want kids. Just the two of us and a 4 leg mut.

Essentially, what would you tell a best friend or family member in the same situation knowing that they are coming over?
      "There's no such thing as a bad beer.....its only less awesome beer...."

"Liberalism is a mental disorder" - Michael Savage

Comment

I would tell a best friend or family member to stay the hell away from california.....especially the bay area....double especially if moving there to pursue law enforcement

Comment

What ADD said. I cant wait to get out of here when I retire. Being a LEO here is not something I recommend here in California, with all this liberal and progressive movement going on here.
          sigpic

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
          -George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Green-2-Blue View Post
            Okay, that was a generic Google response! We already know the cost of living, housing market - the liberal politics, etc etc.

Not worried about the $, we already know what comes with the territory financially and wouldnt consider the jump otherwise. Just looking for answers to my questions - what are good agencies? What are good neighborhoods in the $5k/mo rent range? Not looking to buy a home right away.

We dont have and dont want kids. Just the two of us and a 4 leg mut.

Essentially, what would you tell a best friend or family member in the same situation knowing that they are coming over?
            I would tell you that it wasn’t a google answer. To help you earn money, here’s a shinebox.

Comment

Originally posted by A.D.D Cop View Post
              I would tell a best friend or family member to stay the hell away from california.....especially the bay area....double especially if moving there to pursue law enforcement
              I wouldn't recommend moving to that area to my worst enemy, never mind a friend.

Of the 25 or so that work in my office, NONE of us are even remotely considering staying in this state one moment longer than absolutely required
              The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

PM inbound.
                semper destravit

Comment

Pretty much every agency in the area is hiring. I’m just going to list the agencies I have friends at or have some experience with. San Mateo Sheriff and Santa Clara Sheriff are both great departments if you want a wider variety of work. Santa Clara City Police is also a great gig, they are the highest paid police department in the nation last I checked. East Palo Alto Police is a good place if you’re thinking you want to work at a smaller agency.

Palo Alto Police is offering a $25,000 hiring bonus for laterals last I checked but understand that you either need to agree with the politics or be a political chameleon if you want to work there.

Despite people’s negative opinions of the Bay Area it is a nice place to live. Every cuisine under the sun can be found here. Plenty of great places to shop. Still lots of fun activities to do.

While housing is expensive, if your wife is making at least 90k annually you won’t have problems affording a house. Almost all agencies in the Bay Area will have you making over 100k with little to no overtime.

Good luck and I look forward to you becoming a fellow Bay Area resident!

Comment

OP asked for advice about where in the area to live and work, not whether he should or shouldn't come here. If you aren't going to provide information relevant to OP's question, why waste your time commenting?

OP: A lot of the cities in the Bay are pretty similar to one another. Most have their good areas and not so great areas.

Palo Alto PD is offering a $25,000 hiring bonus for a reason. Even with the bonus, they haven't gotten many lateral applicants, and some of who they've hired they didn't even retain. So, use caution.

Mountain View PD seems like a decent agency. It's medium sized, and from what I've heard and seen, it's not a bad place. East Palo Alto PD is more action-packed than Palo Alto PD. San Jose PD has been getting better and better, and the work is good. You can be any type of cop you want there. I've heard good things about Santa Clara PD in terms of work (and, as the other poster said, the money's good).

There's also the East Bay (Oakland, Hayward, Alameda (city and county), Fremont...).

Feel free to provide a little more info about what you want in an agency. We might be able to help you narrow things down a little bit if you give us more information.

Comment

Originally posted by Boot1811 View Post
                      OP asked for advice about where in the area to live and work, not whether he should or shouldn't come here. If you aren't going to provide information relevant to OP's question, why waste your time commenting?

OP: A lot of the cities in the Bay are pretty similar to one another. Most have their good areas and not so great areas.

Palo Alto PD is offering a $25,000 hiring bonus for a reason. Even with the bonus, they haven't gotten many lateral applicants, and some of who they've hired they didn't even retain. So, use caution.

Mountain View PD seems like a decent agency. It's medium sized, and from what I've heard and seen, it's not a bad place. East Palo Alto PD is more action-packed than Palo Alto PD. San Jose PD has been getting better and better, and the work is good. You can be any type of cop you want there. I've heard good things about Santa Clara PD in terms of work (and, as the other poster said, the money's good).

There's also the East Bay (Oakland, Hayward, Alameda (city and county), Fremont...).

Feel free to provide a little more info about what you want in an agency. We might be able to help you narrow things down a little bit if you give us more information.
                      Do you have anything past “I’ve heard”...if not, you aren’t helping. Lack of first hand experience shows WHY you are a Boot.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post

Do you have anything past “I’ve heard”...if not, you aren’t helping. Lack of first hand experience shows WHY you are a Boot.
                        Being a rookie with a federal agency doesn't equal being a rookie LEO. I was a cop before becoming a "boot" with the feds. Sorry you didn't like my phrasing.

If anyone would like to point out any misinformation with my first post, feel free. I'm sure OP will still find my info as helpful as it can be without OP providing more about what he wants in an agency.

Comment

Redwood City PD (I believe they make more than both Santa Clara PD and San Mateo SO). Small, "call to completion" policing, aggressive DA's office, ie lots of court. An affluent community, high day time population, small pockets of ****heads. Think "Sir" and "mam" and taking paper for everything.

San Mateo SO. Affluent contract cities, a fair amount of opportunities outside of patrol, good money/benefits and as of now unlimited OT potential. If you want to work, work and if you want to not work, don't. The offices perspective on its personnel doesn't seem to change either way.

Both of the above are close to 92/84 which will likely be the bridges you will have to take to get to wherever you lay your head.

Concord PD. One of the larger Bay Area cities and the people I've interacted with from CPD seem to like it a lot. No clue what the pay is like...can't imagine it's very busy, but it is close to affordable living and I'm sure they have good opportunities outside of patrol based on their size. They seem to have a lot of laterals who come in and seem happy with their decision.

Hayward PD. Smaller, fast-paced, well paid and supported. Hayward always has struck me as having a pretty paramilitary culture. I've known a few who have lateraled and they spoke well of their decision. Close(r) to affordable living options.

Nothing against the line personnel at Santa Clara SO, but I would avoid them based on the administrative regime.

point am i clear?

Comment

Redwood City PD: Salary $9,159.00 - $10,095.00 monthly
                            San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office is $91,000.00 - $107,000.00 per year.
                            Santa Clara PD: $10,421 - $13,299 monthly; $125,052 - $159,588 annually, plus excellent benefits

I don’t know of any SF Bay Area departments that pay better than Santa Clara PD. It’s a nice area and I’m sure they’re not overly worked. The influx from the new 49ers stadium
                            might add a little, but I’m sure they have a good gig. You have to take the cost of living into consideration, though. Even at $200K/yr, you’re not living like the wealthy in this area. You’ll be looking at purchasing a condo for around $800K or commuting an hour and buying a middle class home for $500K.

Comment

Has the OP disappeared?

From what the OP posted, it sounds like he wants to live on the Peninsula. Do you like fog? The closer you get to the coast/coastal ridge the more fog AND more wind chill you will experience. It can be a shock to many people not used to colder climates when they move to Pacifica on a sunny day only to learn they are mired in fog for the other 364 days of the year and it can get very cold when the winds come on shore.

If you really want the San Francisco experience, you can move there. There is a difference between the “city” and the “county” life.

If you want to live in San Mateo or San Francisco Counties. You will be inside the Golden Gate National Recreation Area. It might be advantageous to by a National Parks pass (and a California State Parks/SMC County Parks pass) if you are going to walk your dog in nature. They are relatively cheap and work at a lot of places, especially the national parks ones.

Unless you really like airplane noise, I would avoid South San Francisco, San Bruno, Millbrae and Burlingame. These cities directly border and cater to San Francisco International Airport. But almost 200,000 people in those cities...so it can’t be that bad (unless you are under the flight path. In which case, you can’t hold a conversation with anyone while outside).

One last note on jobs, Santa Clara employees pay 100% of their excellent benefits. The city does not anything. Some like that, some do not.
                              semper destravit

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10030 users online. 408 members and 9622 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X