300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civil service appeal

I was dq'd last week and have been given 15 days to appeal. I can move on, but really wanted this job. The county Medical Dr. says I am not qualified, however, the Dr. that did my physical on behalf of the county indicated i was fine. furthermore, my own Dr. has written a letter to the risk mngmnt dept. stating that i meet referencing specifics in job posting the guidlines and requirements. now the question is b/c of my back strain 5 mos ago with no prior history and nothing since then, i feel that i have a chance. would it be in my best interest representing self or should i seek counsel?

Originally posted by davjon14 View Post
    I was dq'd last week and have been given 15 days to appeal. I can move on, but really wanted this job. The county Medical Dr. says I am not qualified, however, the Dr. that did my physical on behalf of the county indicated i was fine. furthermore, my own Dr. has written a letter to the risk mngmnt dept. stating that i meet referencing specifics in job posting the guidlines and requirements. now the question is b/c of my back strain 5 mos ago with no prior history and nothing since then, i feel that i have a chance. would it be in my best interest representing self or should i seek counsel?
    I'd appeal but without counsel.

Comment

thank you for your response, but can you elaborate on why? I had sent my own dr.'s opinion (letter) after the Dr. already dq'd me. my dr. stated that i could fulfill the responsibilities of a deputy sheriff. so it didnt work that time?

Comment

thank you for your response, but can you elaborate on why? I had sent my own dr.'s opinion (letter) after the Dr. already dq'd me. my dr. stated that i could fulfill the responsibilities of a deputy sheriff. so it didnt work that time?
        Imagine that you are the employer. You get sued by a guy that wants a job that he was turned down for. You really want to hire him? He will probably just sue you later for something else. When he finally gives up and tries to go elsewhere and the backgrounders talk what do you think the next potential employer is going to think?

Go through their process and if that doesn't work try somewhere else.

Comment

i dont disagree with your assessment, however, this is what i know. according too his office this dr. has not lost very many cases. and this wont keep me from moving forward, i just have a hard time giving something up until i know i gave it my all.

Comment

why this agency? can you say what agency? there's plenty of other good agencies in OC and LA...

Comment

If you have to resort to suing them just to get hired, you are going to be very unhappy there. Apply elsewhere and save yourself the stress, and the stigma that will attach. If you sue unsuccesfully, you will be persona non grata with other agencies. If you are successful, you won't be especially welcome in your agency, including with your peers who got their jobs the old-fashioned way.
              Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Appeal. If you get D.Q.'d due to a "perceived" disability from one agency, it will probably cause other managers to pass you up for someone else w/o the same condition. This happened to me in the 70's. Agency after agency D.Q.'d me for an asymptomatic condition even before I reached the medical "Why spend the money on a medical, when we can just move on down the list?" I found I had no choice but to file a complaint with the Dept of Fair Employment and Housing under CA. Administrative Code in order to get hired. The chief at the time was quite upset (I was a reserve officer there), but eventually he left. I proved my abilities on the job and now retirement is in sight with over 20 years on the job. No physical problems related to the D.Q. condition whatsoever! Under federal law you are now also covered, if the condition is such that you are not an immediate threat to your safety or the safety of others.

Also keep in mind that under no circumstances hide the DQ from any other agencies you apply for. Attempting to conceal this will result in a DQ if it comes out during your background investigation.

If you really want to be a cop, you may have to fight for it. If so, keep in mind that it's only the first fight in this career. You will have others. Some issues we have to let slide, but others we have to win in order to survive. Good luck!
                "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

quit frankly, i am only seeking representation b/c i am not familiar with this process. i am not wanting or intending on "suing", i am just making sure that the only shot at this appeal to the civil service that i have i want to leave nothing to chance. furthermore, if i felt that the dept( la county sheriff) would be bent out of shape for me doing this, which it is my understanding they probably wont find out, than i would reconsider this.

Comment

quit frankly, i am only seeking representation b/c i am not familiar with this process. i am not wanting or intending on "suing", i am just making sure that the only shot at this appeal to the civil service that i have i want to leave nothing to chance. furthermore, if i felt that the dept( la county sheriff) would be bent out of shape for me doing this, which it is my understanding they probably wont find out, than i would reconsider this.
                    A simple appeal will not be looked down upon. Try it and if it works out great. If not, drop it.

A complicated appeal with legal representation is as said going to carry some baggage with it. Why would you want to work somewhere that you have to push this hard to get hired? Apply elsewhere.

Comment

thats all that i am seeking. i am not going to stand for some drown out process. hopefully this civil service board will not be bais and look at the facts in this matter.

Comment

thats all that i am seeking. i am not going to stand for some drown out process. hopefully this civil service board will not be bais and look at the facts in this matter.
                        PLEASE LISTEN- apply elsewhere ,just in case- under the labor codes,they only have to "offer" equal opportunity to apply,not give you the job-if an gov't entity doesn't think you are what they want ( compared to thousands othere then thats it) Don't sue-you'll only lose unless you can prove some kind of ADA discrimination.I was D.q'd from the first dept I ever applied for(the now Defunct LACMTA Police )for having an "irregular heart beat"-LAPD and LAXPD both later cleared me for hire ,despite my "irregular" heart beat...........
                        "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Originally posted by hbliam View Post
                          I'd appeal but without counsel.

agreed..... nothing to lose but all to gain.

you have other doctors providing counter claims to the doctor that DQ'd you. Good "case" and chance for overturn of DQ'ing doctor.

Perhaps, requesting to go to another doctor... I mean, the county doctor that DQ'd you, your "own" doctor. Get a third, outside - uninvolved doctor's opinion - even if you have to pay for it. (it's a write off on your taxes anyway)...... nothing to lose and all to gain for an agency you WANT to work for...

good luck.
                          ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
                          -- John Wayne

Comment

sgttom, i appreciate your support and i have never been one to give up on something that i feel so strongly about, as long as it is within reason, which this (from my perspective) is. What you dont know is that after i received the conditional offer i moved myself from north carolina to orange county. i have never in my wildest imagination would think this would happen. I am also in the process with sbpd and i have past everything accept my medical, of which i have already discussed this with them. they have expressed to me that this will not keep me from getting hired, however, the only down side to being picked up with sbpd if their is one is that i have to attend a police academy. I am post certified and la county is not requiring me to attend their academy! So what would you do?

Comment

sgttom, i appreciate your support and i have never been one to give up on something that i feel so strongly about, as long as it is within reason, which this (from my perspective) is. What you dont know is that after i received the conditional offer i moved myself from north carolina to orange county. i have never in my wildest imagination would think this would happen. I am also in the process with sbpd and i have past everything accept my medical, of which i have already discussed this with them. they have expressed to me that this will not keep me from getting hired, however, the only down side to being picked up with sbpd if their is one is that i have to attend a police academy. I am post certified and la county is not requiring me to attend their academy! So what would you do?

Hopefully you now realize that a "conditional offer" is just a form they give to everyone so that they legally can begin the background investigation. Nothing more. It is no more valuable then a letter inviting you to take the PT test.

SBPD? Seal Beach? Big differance in departments there.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2056 users online. 138 members and 1918 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X