300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State Hospital PD

Hello, I'm looking into applying at the state facility in Norwalk. Anyone have any idea how many officer vacancies they're looking to fill ?

What makes you want to work there? They are more hospital security that police. I'd see them bring folks to the hospital and shocked to see they don't care firearms when off their facility. I mean marked car and uniform that says POLICE and no gun in Norwalk f that
    I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

I went to a class with a guy who was state hospital PD. He was weird as ****.
      Other officer: Oh that's right, I forgot, you're God's gift to police work.
      Me: At least someone recognizes it.

Turns out basic police work isn't so hard, you just have to leave the station.

Comment

Originally posted by moparfan View Post
        What makes you want to work there? They are more hospital security that police. I'd see them bring folks to the hospital and shocked to see they don't care firearms when off their facility. I mean marked car and uniform that says POLICE and no gun in Norwalk f that
        I was actually shocked at that too. It's the hosptial's policy that bars them from carrying on duty, although they can carry off duty.

Comment

From my understanding, if you go through their academy you can not lateral over to another CA POST participating agency because their academy is not certified by POST. If you have a basic academy certification, it will expire because the police officer position does not participate with POST, only the Investigator position. You will never receive a BASIC certificate either.

Comment

Originally posted by VICHENZO View Post
            From my understanding, if you go through their academy you can not lateral over to another CA POST participating agency because their academy is not certified by POST. If you have a basic academy certification, it will expire because the police officer position does not participate with POST, only the Investigator position. You will never receive a BASIC certificate either.
            Yes, it is in-house academy certificate. Similar to what CDCR does for its correctional officers.

Comment

Originally posted by Oiler12 View Post
              Hello, I'm looking into applying at the state facility in Norwalk. Anyone have any idea how many officer vacancies they're looking to fill ?
              Just a thought...You may want to consider applying for a state investigator spot, that way you will get paid a little more and be sponsored to a regular basic academy opening the door to either a state or local spot. Most of the hospital peace officers I know used their spot as a stepping stone to get into an investigator spot and rarely stayed long term.

Comment

Would it be possible to promote to the investigator position from the hospital police officer position? I checked Cal HR. They aren't hiring for investigator and I have my written exam for HPO next week.

Comment

Technically it wouldn’t be a promotion because you would have to reapply and meet the requirements for the investigator position...What, if any, POST training do you have? Remember, if you are looking to be sent to training, the training the State Hospitals Hospital Police Officer’s get is not sufficient for the investigator position because all the Hospital Police Academy gives you is a PC 832 certificate. The state investigator position require a Basic Academy or specialized investigator course certificate. Even after that, the State Hospitals can be picky and only select applicants with a Basic Academy Certificate even if the position requires the minimum of a SIBC. Bottom line, like everyone has mentioned, don’t waste your time at the State Hospitals if your not looking to make it a career. Yes you can promote to Sergeant and LT, but even they get paid way lower then a starting Officer at a local PD or Sheriff Office. If you have a Basic Academy Certificate, get the experience there and leave before it expires. Remember, the Hospital Police Officer position is not a POST participating agency. You won’t get a basic certificate and your Basic Academy Certificate will expire.

Comment

Originally posted by Oiler12 View Post
                    ..... I have my written exam for HPO next week.
                    Abandon hope all ye who enter here.

Seriously, there are prior threads here on o.com discussing the hospital police. Search them out and read them carefully before you leap off the cliff onto the jagged rocks below.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post

Abandon hope all ye who enter here.

Seriously, there are prior threads here on o.com discussing the hospital police. Search them out and read them carefully before you leap off the cliff onto the jagged rocks below.
                      Metro Norwalk in particular isn't too bad from what I hear. Definitely an entry level gig, and the job isn't stressful. The pay however is an entirely separate issue...Surrounding agencies pay much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Calitown View Post

Metro Norwalk in particular isn't too bad from what I hear. Definitely an entry level gig, and the job isn't stressful. The pay however is an entirely separate issue...Surrounding agencies pay much better.
                        Again, do a search of the o.com threads on the the California State Hospital police. In spite of your unbridled optimism, it is not a place you want to be, even for a starter job.

I won't go into specifics, but there have been some serious integritry issues within the agency.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

• Calitown
                          Calitown commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I'm an LEO but not for this agency. My opinion is based from other officers currently working there. Also I'm not aware of this integrity issue you speak of, and haven't been able to find anything on this via search bar. Care to PM?

• L-1
                          L-1 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          If you are already a LEO and still want to go over to the hospital police, then you are a sinking ship with no cargo to throw overboard and there is no saving you. Best of luck.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9812 users online. 470 members and 9342 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X