X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JPR
    Forum Member
    • Mar 2007

Firearm Registration in California

Several months ago I bought a shotgun for home defense in the mountains where I have a cabin and the nearest LE is probably 30-45 minutes away.
    Although it is extremely rare, I have heard that some bold bears have been known to tear a door off an inhabited cabin and raid the kitchen. I feel more comfortable sleeping there knowing the artillery is close at hand. Pending my next trip to the mountains, I stopped by our local sheriff's office community policing outlet to pick up a free gun lock that they distribute there. When I had mentioned to the deputy that I had just purchased the shotgun he advised me to make sure it is registered. I told him I had bought it through a retail outlet that processed the DROS document and made me wait 10 days so I am sure that all the legalities were attended to but he still said to make sure it is registered. It has been a long while since I'd bought a firearm so I figured I must be out of date in regards to the laws as the last I remember from years ago California did not require firearms registration. I recently researched this subject online at the state DOJ . I was amazed at how voluminous the law has become on firearms. After all my research the only requirement I found for gun registration pertains to "Assault Weapons." I went through the entire list and I don't have any of the guns they list. I also went through the "characteristics" list and none of my guns including this shotgun fall under those definitions either. I came here to post this because now I am concerned that I may of missed something here. Does the state now require registration of all firearms?

P.S. I am curious to know how many criminals you folks run across who comply with these laws....Are these laws in your opinion reducing gun related crimes or are they just making otherwise law abiding citizens who aren't up on all the changes into criminals?
    Last edited by JPR; 05-01-2007, 10:33 PM.
    Jubilant Patriotic Republican

America gave Obama the benefit of the doubt when they elected him. Obama is now giving America the doubt of the benefit of his governance......Change you can bereave in!..JPR
  • pulicords
    "Retired"
    • Jan 2006

The deputy doesn't know what he's talking about. A shotgun or rifle purchased through a retail outlet (or other FFL holder) in CA is held for the mandatory waiting period to confirm the purchaser isn't prohibited from buying or possessing the firearm. When the waiting period is over (unless the background check indicated a problem) the long gun is yours. DOJ doesn't keep the weapon/owner info in it's automated registration system as they do with concealable firearms (handguns). If you really want to register your rifle or shotgun with the state, I believe you have the ability to do so through a law enforcement agency, but you have no legal obligation to do so. Some people might like to do so in case the weapon was later stolen and (for some reason) they didn't keep a record of the serial number and description of the weapon in a secure location. I'd just as soon not hand over any personal information to the government which isn't required under law.
    Last edited by pulicords; 05-01-2007, 11:04 PM.
    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

• JPR
      Forum Member
      • Mar 2007

Thanks for replying pulicords......you have confirmed my understanding of what I read at the DOJ website......apparently my understanding is correct...

America gave Obama the benefit of the doubt when they elected him. Obama is now giving America the doubt of the benefit of his governance......Change you can bereave in!..JPR

Comment

• hbliam
        Forum Member
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by pulicords
        I'd just as soon not hand over any personal information to the government which isn't required under law.

I had this same thought when my tax guy ask if I wanted the IRS to direct deposity my return a couple years back. I said, "I don't really want the IRS to have my bank account number." He said, "You don't think they already do?"

Comment

• pulicords
          "Retired"
          • Jan 2006

I'm not just concerned about what info the government has, I'm also concerned about their lack of concern about releasing that info to third parties. Last weekend there was a news report about info which was released to a large number of info gathering business (Google, etc...) by several state and federal agencies. Apparently CA isn't as concerned about handing out my social security number and other data as I am.
          "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

• LeeRoy
            Retired! Not.
            • Mar 2000

JPR,

One thing to remember. Make sure you have your serial number written down somewhere safe in case your shotgun is stolen. DROS records for long guns are not kept so an officer who runs your shotgun serial number in the Automated Firearms System (AFS) will not find a sales record to your name. Only concealable firearms and assault weapons registrations are kept in the DROS file.

California DOJ does have a voluntary weapons registration program. You can register your shotgun as your property and it will be entered into the AFS. Then again some folks don't want the government to know what weapons they own. Food for thought.
            If you see me running try to keep up!

Comment

• JPR
              Forum Member
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by pulicords
              I'm not just concerned about what info the government has, I'm also concerned about their lack of concern about releasing that info to third parties. Last weekend there was a news report about info which was released to a large number of info gathering business (Google, etc...) by several state and federal agencies. Apparently CA isn't as concerned about handing out my social security number and other data as I am.
              That is chilling.....yet I'm not surprised......I have noticed and i guess you probably have too, that our state government has exempted itself from many of the laws they have placed on the shoulders of the private sector....I suspect that this is another example......btw, unfortunately, I have had to submit reports to the local sheriff's office on occasion when I have been the victim of a crime. Each time they have demanded personal information for their reports (i.e. drivers license number and social security number.) As a crime victim, am I within my rights to refuse to give that info., escpecially the SSN?

Comment

• JPR
                Forum Member
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by LeeRoy
                JPR,
                One thing to remember. Make sure you have your serial number written down somewhere safe in case your shotgun is stolen. DROS records for long guns are not kept so an officer who runs your shotgun serial number in the Automated Firearms System (AFS) will not find a sales record to your name..........................
                Thanks for the tip.......I keep both a paper and electronic list of the mfg. name, model, and s/n for my firearms. In addition, I keep detailed digital photos of them. I keep copies of these records at multiple locations.
                I also maintain tough security standards. I won't say it is impossible to steal them, but it would be extremely difficult for me to steal them and I know all the details of my security system....I am very motivated to making sure my firearms remain my firearms......
                Last edited by JPR; 05-03-2007, 03:26 PM.

Comment

• pulicords
                  "Retired"
                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by JPR
                  As a crime victim, am I within my rights to refuse to give that info., escpecially the SSN?
                  I wouldn't give my SSN for any report, but if a citizen is detained by an officer investigating suspected criminal activity, they may be asked for it as part of the ID process. My concern about CA's release of this info involves the sale of certain state documents which included SSNs in addition to other info. The problem isn't just limited to CA, but also involves the sale of personal data from federal resources. In Canada, I understand that firearms ownership data was provided to "news sources" doing research. The information included the descriptions of firearms, city (and/or province) of residence and names of the registered owners of firearms. As if we don't have enough to worry about with our banks releasing personal data, now we need to worry about the government selling it to................?

Comment

• MSoCal
                    Forum Member
                    • Jan 2007

So what your saying here is that I need to register my AK47s & my
                    RPG-7s that I brought here from Syria via cargo container @ Port of LA w/ the local Sheriff? What kind of state is this??
                    Oh, and hbliam earlier you asked if I would be your friend, I thought we were already friends
                    My LAPD Process
                    PQE - 7/07 - PASSED
                    PAT 1 - 7/24 - PASSED
                    Prelim BI - 7/25 - PASSED
                    Poly - 7/26 - PASSED
                    Oral - 09/15 - PASSED
                    Medical/Written Psych - 09/27 PASSED
                    Backgrounds - In Progress
                    Oral Psych - TBD
                    Cert. & Appointment - TBD

Comment

• pulicords
                      "Retired"
                      • Jan 2006

[QUOTE=MSoCal;871233]So what your saying here is that I need to register my AK47s & my RPG-7s that I brought here from Syria via cargo container @ Port of LA w/ the local Sheriff? What kind of state is this?? QUOTE]

Let me guess. "Contents: Miscellaneous Household Goods"

Comment

• JPR
                        Forum Member
                        • Mar 2007

Thanks Pulicords.....Thanks Leeroy

Thanks for the posts. I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my inquiry.....I'm glad to see that the state's gun laws have not yet gotten to the point of requiring registration of every one of them. Maybe in another ten years we will be there but by then I think my family will be living somewhere else. This is a great state to visit, but I don't think I want to continue living here much longer. It's too bad too. My family roots in California go back close to 1900. The weather and geography here is great. If only we had decent and intelligent people running Sacramento this could be a great state in many other ways too (Just my opinion.)

On the other matter (subtopic), although I would like to think law enforcement and the courts would safeguard sensitive personal information, any large organization, governmental or private sector, can have "leaks" or worse (our newspaper today reported that one of our deputies was arrested and charged with stealing money from a crime scene.) I'm most concerned about the SSN. But then, maybe I shouldn't be too concerned. The older I get the more my oldest smart-*** son likes to remind me that I seem to be suffering from CRS Syndrome (CRS= Can't Remember S%*t..... Funny though how I can remember all the times he forgot to attend to something I asked him to do!).... So since I'm suffering from CRS Syndrome, there is a good chance that I won't be able to remember my SSN if/when I'm again required to provide a crime victim's statement to the local Sheriff's Office.
                        Last edited by JPR; 05-07-2007, 01:57 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 19184 users online. 48 members and 19136 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...