Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Honolulu PD to CHP? Possible?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Honolulu PD to CHP? Possible?

    Hello all, i know a few departments from California come out to Hawaii to recruit HPD Officers like me, and offer lateral transfers with no Academy re-do. I was wondering if anyone knows if CHP offers such opportunity? If anyone knows a number or a person who would know more on a matter, i would greatly appreciate it.

    Thank you,

    Stay safe out there

  • #2
    CHP does not take laterals. You have to attend their academy.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

    Comment


    • #3
      CHP will not take lateral applicants, even from other CA agencies. All CHP recruits go through the CHP academy regardless of prior experience.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thank you, kinda hard to keep going to play dummie recruit games after military, multiple schools and academy here, wish they took experienced Officers. Thank you again for fast repsonse. How long is their Academy anyways?

        Comment


        • #5
          6 months live in academy in Sacramento.
          sigpic

          People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
          -George Orwell

          Comment


          • #6
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCKnBt_UjJ0

            Lol yea not doing that nonsense again.
            Other officer: Oh that's right, I forgot, you're God's gift to police work.
            Me: At least someone recognizes it.

            Turns out basic police work isn't so hard, you just have to leave the station.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Invasion0428 View Post
              Thank you, kinda hard to keep going to play dummie recruit games after military, multiple schools and academy here, wish they took experienced Officers. Thank you again for fast repsonse. How long is their Academy anyways?
              Your experience on an island has nothing to do with CA. You either want it or not. And just so you know...no laterals from out of state just walk in and start working. You must attend CA specific laws, UoF, driving, TACCOM, etc training before you get to badge up.
              Now go home and get your shine box!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Blizz View Post
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCKnBt_UjJ0

                Lol yea not doing that nonsense again.
                Wow, thanks for that, gonna keep the badge i have haha

                Comment


                • #9
                  Contrary to popular belief, the California Highway Patrol does take laterals. Like others have said, the caveat is you have to go to The Academy. There are a lot of pros and cons, but there's something very heartwarming lining up to a CHP officer, who you've never met and works 4 hours away from your home office (which is 3 hours away from the protest you're at in Oakland), on a skirmish line and knowing they were taught the same as you. Nevermind the instant camaraderie at beers afterwards.

                  Does the Marine Corps take laterals? Sure, but welcome to Parris Island (or San Diego).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by GGD_CHP View Post
                    Contrary to popular belief, the California Highway Patrol does take laterals. Like others have said, the caveat is you have to go to The Academy. There are a lot of pros and cons, but there's something very heartwarming lining up to a CHP officer, who you've never met and works 4 hours away from your home office (which is 3 hours away from the protest you're at in Oakland), on a skirmish line and knowing they were taught the same as you. Nevermind the instant camaraderie at beers afterwards.

                    Does the Marine Corps take laterals? Sure, but welcome to Parris Island (or San Diego).
                    Ok so do they pay lateral pay in the academy? Or do all cadets get paid the same? My large agency will hire out of state laterals who need the academy, and pay them for their experience at a lateral rate even in the academy. That's what is important about a lateral.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Unless you have your heart set on working as a traffic cop, there's many other agencies in the state that accept laterals. You'll be required to have your training from Hawaii assessed via the California POST Commission. They'll determine if additional training is needed and allow you time to complete the training. Upon completion, you'll be eligible to test for the Basic Course Waiver, which requires you to pass a written test, firearms, and defensive tactics. From there, it's up to the independent agency you're applying with to decide if they want to accept the BCW is place of the full POST academy.

                      I'd suggest looking in the CA POST website and research agencies to determine if there are any you're really interested in.

                      Comment

                      MR300x250 Tablet

                      Collapse

                      What's Going On

                      Collapse

                      There are currently 7177 users online. 312 members and 6865 guests.

                      Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                      Welcome Ad

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X