300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LEOSA for Military in California

Hello everyone, I just have a question for anyone that may have experience with this topic. I'm in the military as an MA (MP) and I'm working on getting the LEOSA. I was just informed that this is not recognized in California because they only recognize the one from 2004 applying to civilian police only. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this?

I carried under LEOSA as a MP at Vandenberg AFB in California and Hickam AFB in Hawaii. Didn't have any problems.

Comment

• MRA89
      MRA89 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok then I should be fine then. I'm going to make some calls. California is weird when it comes to gun laws so I wouldn't be surprised.

• TheCodyMatthew
      TheCodyMatthew commented
      Editing a comment
      Eh. It depends. If you're trying to buy off roster handguns then youll have to find a dealer who knows military LEOSA creds. They have a right to refuse service if it could potentially cost them their FFL. So since they dont really know military qualifies they dont want to mess with it. As for carrying, if you get stopped tell the officer you are off duty military police and you have a firearm. Youll probably go through the motions of getting pulled out of the car and all that but understand, not a lot of cops have experience dealing with military cops carrying. so comply and be patient until they get it sorted out. you wont go to jail, just let them go through the motions, its only fair. As for types of guns, you still have to play by the rules with assault rifles and all that. You are exempt from the roster law though which is nice. just dont go buying off roster guns and turning them to citizens for a profit. ATF will catch on then youll be screwed.

• MRA89
      MRA89 commented
      Editing a comment
      I really appreciate your thorough answer. I would definitely comply and go through the motions. In fact I would welcome it because the more officers become aware, the better it will be for everyone else in the future.

You can’t “get LEOSA.” It is a law, not some sort of license. Unless the law has changed, I don’t believe normal MPs can carry under LEOSA because the military doesn’t issue the proper ID. A CAC won’t suffice. Most military bases in CA are located in shall issue counties. I’d get a ccw if you feel the need to carry a gun.

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalAspirant View Post
      You can’t “get LEOSA.” It is a law, not some sort of license. Unless the law has changed, I don’t believe normal MPs can carry under LEOSA because the military doesn’t issue the proper ID. A CAC won’t suffice. Most military bases in CA are located in shall issue counties. I’d get a ccw if you feel the need to carry a gun.
      Most military departments issue LEO credentials for active and retired qualified military law enforcement now. The Air Force, Army and Navy for sure do. Not too sure about USMC. The departments require military police to meet certain standards, thankfully, before the credential will be issued. It's more or less a national CCW but does not work in areas that are blocked by state law such as parks and schools.

https://leosaairforce.com/

https://leosaarmy.com/

https://leosanavy.com/

http://www.usmcleosa.com/

airforce-body-image.png

Comment

• NorCalAspirant
        NorCalAspirant commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought these are only for the civilian police departments of each branch? That’s what it sounds like you’re referring to anyways.

• TheCodyMatthew
        TheCodyMatthew commented
        Editing a comment
        They get them too. Civilian police are an extension of the Military Police. Initially the MPs were only allowed to qualify then the civilians did too because technically they supervise detained persons and prosecute.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7815 users online. 371 members and 7444 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X