300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current military looking to go LE in SoCal

I’m currently active duty and ETS from military in December. I have a combat arms mos and will have 3 years of service by December. I don’t hold a degree but smart enough to pass a written exam.
    Is military experience a big plus? And if so, what agencies favor military? When should I start applying? (Considering the fact that I’m stationed in NY until Dec). Also I’m considering going reserve military once I’m out would that potentially be a problem if an agency is looking to hire me ?
    If anyone has any insight on going from military to police (or anything in general) it would greatly be appreciated. TIA

I went military to police so I'll answer your questions.

Military experience is a big plus. Pretty much any agency prefers military experience, so take your pick. I'd start applying now if you are done with enlistment in December. Police hiring can take on average 6 months to a year, sometimes more depending on the agency (CHP takes their time hiring).

You are definitely going to need to be prepared to fly out from New York at least two to three times for testing.

Being in the reserves is fine, but just know that your service in the reserves could hinder some opportunities at whatever agency you apply to. The fact you are in the reserves will NOT hinder your hire ability. However, some special assignments require on call hours, odd shifts and work hours. So juggling your reserve time and hours can produce conflicts.

Anyway, the shift from the service to police was easy for me and it is a lot like being in the military. So you should do fine.

Comment

Lots of officer jobs open in So Cal. Military experience, clean background (drugs, traffic issues, financially issues), and the ability to pass all the medical tests, means you have a decent options. Finish a degree or get some college done now. Reserve isn't an issue normally, most departments have a decent amount of reservists. But sometimes people need to work out getting the academy done without a deployment or school. Figure out where you want to apply and call the recruiter and ask when to apply based on your ETS.

Comment

Here are a few ideas for you that will help with the transition.

I knew a few years in advance that I was going to get out of the military and become a police officer so I had time to save up my leave.

I saved up about two months of leave. I took "terminal leave" two months before my ETS date and went directly into the academy, while technically still being active duty. Basically, I got paid by the military for the first two months of my academy. I also used my GI Bill to pay for the academy, I think now you can use Post 911 GI Bill money to pay you basic allowance for housing (BAH), while you are in the academy.

So during my time in the academy I got paid pretty well.

Something to think about.

A degree is good too, I got my Bachelor Degree while I was in the service using tuition assistance (the military completely paid for it). If you still can, try and use that tuition assistance to get a degree. Just my MOS training, boot camp and other training that I received while I was in, got me like 60 college credits. All I had to do to achieve my Bachelor's was take a bunch of CLEP tests and take about 40 credits in an actual college. Because of that I was able to get my degree in like a year and a half of actual college, instead of the traditional 4 years.

Maybe you might even have enough credits to obtain an Associates Degree from just your trainings you've attended for your MOS. Definitely look into it.

From my experience in police hiring, the top tier candidate is like 25 years old, prior military, clean background and has a Bachelor Degree. Doors will open all over for someone who checks those boxes.

Good luck.

Comment

• Exbpa340
          Exbpa340 commented
          Editing a comment
          I did the same thing many years ago. Earned an Associate and Bachelors degree while on active duty. Then got a 90 day drop in order to EOD and make the academy.

SoCal agencies are in a huge hiring frenzy right now, and they are more than willing to work with active duty military. I applied a year out, also with an EAS of December and my recruiters were great. All the agencies from what i experienced are very pro military. Just start getting in touch with department recruiters.

Comment

Originally posted by FormerPotato View Post
          SoCal agencies are in a huge hiring frenzy right now, and they are more than willing to work with active duty military. I applied a year out, also with an EAS of December and my recruiters were great. All the agencies from what i experienced are very pro military. Just start getting in touch with department recruiters.
          Any agency you would recommend? I’m already a sworn police officer but out of state.

Comment

Originally posted by brendan_m View Post

Any agency you would recommend? I’m already a sworn police officer but out of state.
            SoCal is basically compartmentalized. You have the beach cities or "OC." The Inland Empire or "IE," the greater Los Angeles area or "LA area" and the San Diego area. Not sure which area you are wanting to look into, too many options.

But from my experience (the I.E.). The best agencies are, Ontario PD, Murrieta PD, Riverside PD and to some extent Corona PD (haven't heard much positive or negative about Corona so most likely its a good place to work).

Riverside County is going through some troublesome times, but they do have some cool places to work in, such as Temecula, or if you like the desert, Palm Desert, Rancho Mirage, Indian Wells and La Quinta. If its more about the area/town in which you want to live/work in than Riverside County might spark some interest.

Can't really speak much on the other areas of SoCal except for just rumors, so maybe someone else can chime in.

Comment

Most cops cant wait to leave California

Comment

Originally posted by m.p.c View Post
                Most cops cant wait to leave California
                I know I cant.
                sigpic

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
                -George Orwell

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6928 users online. 281 members and 6647 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X