300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Reservists Chime In (pls)

I'm in year 6 of LE. Almost 30. Considering going Guard or USAR.

Stats: Married. Bachelor and Masters. No children.

Wants: 35 series enlisted. Considering OCS, but I loathe the idea of not knowing my branch.

Concerns: I've had a solid career. It's probably going to keep looking that way, but I'm worried about enlistment barring me from special units because of scheduling hassles. Additionally, I'm pretty sure I'll take a pay cut during active training. Basic, ait, DLI will probably be two years. Probably a lot less than I make annually right now.

Thoughts or advice? Especially LEOs.
    “Cowards die many times before their deaths;
    The valiant never taste of death but once.
    Of all the wonders that I yet have heard,
    It seems to me most strange that men should fear;
    Seeing that death, a necessary end,
    Will come when it will come.”

I'd also consider the USCG. They have a programed that's geared towards prior service and civilians whose civilian jobs translate over to a CG rate, like those employed in law enforcement, the medical field, etc. The benefit is you would go in at a higher rank depending on your resume and go through a condensed basic training instead of the full boot camp. Keep in mind, that doesn't mean it's a cake walk.

Comment

And that you will probably never make Sgt or special teams. While your job is protected up to a certain point, they don’t have to support you. At all.

Talk to any reservists at your agency and find out how hard your union will fight for you. That should help.
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
        And that you will probably never make Sgt or special teams. While your job is protected up to a certain point, they don’t have to support you. At all.

Talk to any reservists at your agency and find out how hard your union will fight for you. That should help.
        Depending on the agency and its politics, yes I agree.

The due diligence will be on the poster to talk to those within the agency and see

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post

That's exactly what I thought. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

BTDT. Just make sure of it. I had 10 years on and joined up as a USCG Reservist right after 9/11. Never got promoted directly due to serving my country and deployment. Don’t care, I did it because my country was attacked.

Glad all the other big talkers were able to keep working and promote...

Comment

It's strange, though. Sometimes I feel like there are some pretty successful guys in management that are reservists. Maybe they just found the right shogun at the right time...

Comment

It’s the agency, not the guy. My agency hates Reserves.
                Choose your rate, choose your fate. I never looked back. I served when needed.

Comment

I retired in the USAR while being a LEO....I was lucky that both the departments I worked for were pro-military during my military career, but I was already in the reserves when hired. Know your department rules and regs on military service, some frown on joining while being LEO, research Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act / https://www.esgr.mil/USERRA/What-is-USERRA.

Know that some opportunities in your job might not happen for you. Since you are already LEO, look at going CID...it's an entry level now with some restrictions, but being LEO your good.

Good luck!

Comment

That's solid advice. Thank you! Never considered CID before.

Comment

Unless you work for a really big agency where you are just a number a reserve career will likely impact to your civilian career negatively if you have extended absences, particularly if you volunteer for extra deployments and training. I know USERRA says they can't treat you differently but it happens and sometimes it is tough to prove. I worked for a couple of agencies and saw reservists take advantage of those protections to double dip. One was a military officer who volunteered for multiple active duty tours out of state keeping him away from his management position in the department for several years. Keep in mind the agency had to keep that spot available for him when he returned so they could not backfill his spot while he was gone. Another case was a rookie officer who was a pilot and volunteered for military service during the summer fire season (our agency's busy time) leaving his patrol team short for the whole summer making it difficult for coworkers to get time off requests.

There are certainly benefits if you have extended periods of active duty. Many aren't aware but still get PERS service credit for those periods even though you are earning credit towards a military reserve retirement. All you have to do is return from active duty and that time away is credited to your PERS account. I don't think the employee even has to pay their share for that period.
                      If you see me running try to keep up!

Comment

Originally posted by LeeRoy View Post
                        Unless you work for a really big agency where you are just a number a reserve career will likely impact to your civilian career negatively if you have extended absences, particularly if you volunteer for extra deployments and training. I know USERRA says they can't treat you differently but it happens and sometimes it is tough to prove. I worked for a couple of agencies and saw reservists take advantage of those protections to double dip. One was a military officer who volunteered for multiple active duty tours out of state keeping him away from his management position in the department for several years. Keep in mind the agency had to keep that spot available for him when he returned so they could not backfill his spot while he was gone. Another case was a rookie officer who was a pilot and volunteered for military service during the summer fire season (our agency's busy time) leaving his patrol team short for the whole summer making it difficult for coworkers to get time off requests.

There are certainly benefits if you have extended periods of active duty. Many aren't aware but still get PERS service credit for those periods even though you are earning credit towards a military reserve retirement. All you have to do is return from active duty and that time away is credited to your PERS account. I don't think the employee even has to pay their share for that period.
                        Inbound PM

Comment

Looks like if I did Federal OCS, the E5 pay for basic + OCS would put me $18-20K in the hole difference from my civilian job paycheck.

The only possible viable option is a short basic stint then the extended national Guard OCS over 18 months so I can keep my civilian paycheck.

And then there's BOLC. Fun.

Comment

Can only speak from my experience in the Navy.
                            I was deployed last year (im a reservist obviously) and I work alongside many civilian cops (city, state, fed), one chief of police from Texas. So far I've visited 3 middle Eastern countries and I will be going to Europe in 3 months. I'll give you a good example of what a cop/reservist can earn. A guy from Chicago PD is a second class E5 making approximately 5k a month with BAH, Family Sep, non tax, combat/hazardous duty, and other benefits. In addition, we're making 168 per day in per diem, approximately another 5k a month. This individual I'm using as an example is getting paid from his civilian job while deployed, making I believe 4 to 4.5k. Add all this up. He's making close to 15k per month. We're in one if the richest cities in the world which is why per diem is so high. If you're joining the military, I would highly recommend the Navy reserves as an MA. Most times you'll end up in terrible living conditions but there are also some of great places to go on deployment if you play your cards right.
                            you can pick your deployments in the Navy. I've gotten a chance to work with Army and Marines reservist, it's definitely not the same.
                            hope my input gives you some insight.
                            basic training and A School will suck financially though, unless your department also pays you while attending.

Comment

Not all agencies pay you while you are gone on AD. That’s rare. Usually, there is a limited amount of days they will pay, then it’s clock stopped.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7356 users online. 326 members and 7030 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X