Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little late to the party but maybe some of you CALPERS guys can give me some insight. Age 46, just honorably retired in AZ. Completed CA POST Requal and waiver in April and looking for a CALPERS position for the minimum 5 years it takes to become vested. My son is in the San Diego area for the next 5 years (USMC), so looking to supplement my retirement. Everyone says I'm crazy....politics, cost of living, taxes, laws, land of fruits and nuts, yada yada yada… I've heard it all and I get it, I'm from Riverside. Question is with the PEPRA 2.7% at 57 crap, will I get any sort of pension if I return to AZ after 5 years and age 52 at a CALPERS agency?

Comment

You will get a crappy pension after 5 years, probably based on the five years and your age at the time of retirement. 2.7 x 5 years is not a lot. Your best bet is to contact CALPERS and go over your options. There's no doubt you will be hired as a 2.7% @ 57 public safety employee since you are a new hire and have no reciprocal with an out of state agency. Again, this is something you will have to discuss with CALPERS. I don't think it would be worth it but thats just me, I cant wait to get out of this state, but to each their own.
      sigpic

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
      -George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by azcop173 View Post
        Question is with the PEPRA 2.7% at 57 crap, will I get any sort of pension if I return to AZ after 5 years and age 52 at a CALPERS agency?
        At age 52, roughly 11% of the average of your highest three years salary.

At age 52 - 2.2% per year X 5 years of service = 11%.

Let's assume on your highest three years you made $78K, 80K and 82K. Your average will be $80K X 11% = $8.8k per year or $733 per month.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

• azcop173
          azcop173 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks guys.... That is definitely worth it to me... I have options... a 5th wheel to stay in while im looking for a tiny place to rent. You have to remember I have a free and clear home in AZ to retire to and an Arizona pension already... I just want a little more.. Sounds worth it to me L-1

Look at the State Investigator jobs. They are always hiring. I used to be one if you have any questions. Good schedule, some interesting work, and no uniform. You have a lot of retired Feds and guys who just retired from non-CALPERS agencies joining. Pay is not great compared to some municipal agencies but they are due for another contract coming up in July.

Comment

• azcop173
          azcop173 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi AG... Yea, I was looking into all of them towards the end of 2018 when I was challenging CAPOST and would sit at my Detective desk all day contemplating my impending forced retirement due to the DROP program here in AZ. By the time I retired and completed my CAPOST Requal training, the majority of them were filled. Since Cannabis is the new big thing in Cali, I was trying to get into that unit at the DCA but it looks like they just did a major hiring In January so I may have missed the boat. Trying to be patient but theres not a lot out there... maybe July 1 will open up a new hiring budget.. We will see.

• AGInvestigator
          AGInvestigator commented
          Editing a comment
          I know the Department of Insurance is in desperate need of bodies. They also get an additional 8 or 9 percent after they reach top step. That puts you at to 8k a month after some of the additional pay incentives. They openly recruited my SAC who is close to retirement during a joint search warrant we had.

• azcop173
          azcop173 commented
          Editing a comment
          Funny you mention the Department of Insurance..... I inquired if they accept my CA POST Waiver and received this response: "These positions shall be filled as Limited Term/Full-Time if the candidate needs to complete the Peace Officers Standards and Training (POST) requirements. Upon successful completion, the incumbent will be appointed to the Investigator position Permanent/Full-Time. If the candidate has already met POST requirements through an academy, then he/she will be appointed Permanent/Full-Time upon hire."

"If selected for an Investigator position, the California Department of Insurance will send you to the required training." I am not looking to attend any more academies and if they won't accept my waiver after my 2019 completion of the 144 hour requal course, my PC 832 and Level II Reserve training in 1992 and a 650 hour AZ Police Academy in 1995, leading to 24 successful years on the job before retiring, then I will move on to somewhere else.....
          Last edited by azcop173; 05-29-2019, 02:54 PM.

Guy I went through the academy with in Colorado in 1972 quit to join LAPD. Received Christmas cards from him for years, return address "TOILET TOWN". That seemed to say it all.

Comment

azcop173, I just looked on the California State jobs website and saw the Department of Consumer Affairs and the Department of Health Care Services are the only two state agencies that still have several Investigator positions open at the following locations (https://www.calcareers.ca.gov/CalHRP...w=Investigator):

Department of Consumer Affairs
          -Los Angeles County (9)
          -Sacramento County (4)
          -San Bernardino County (3)
          -Fresno County (2)
          -Orange County (1)
          -San Diego County (1)
          -Santa Clara County (1)
          -statewide position (1)

Department of Health Care Services
          -Los Angeles County (1)
          -Sacramento County (1)

In addition, the Department of Alcohol Beverage Control continuously accepts applications and puts in their website when they will process them. Here is the link to the information I am referring to: https://www.jobs.ca.gov/JOBSGEN/5AB01.PDF

Good luck Sir.
          Last edited by VICHENZO; 06-02-2019, 08:56 PM.

Comment

• azcop173
            azcop173 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for the info.... I applied last month to the State Investigator job at DCA in San Berdo County and the DHCS job in San Diego. I noticed the Consumer Affairs job was posted back in 2018 and said open until filled. I am guessing they do not update their website. I have applied with several different agencies beginning in April 2019 and haven't heard squat. I am assuming agencies will start hiring after July 1 when their new budgets kick in. All the retired guys have California State University jobs locked down because of their generous medical benefits after retirement. SDSU hasn't called me either...lol

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4321 users online. 192 members and 4129 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X