X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCCSD
    replied
    Thanks LeeRoy,

I do know that section. It IS stupid and at some point I hope it’s cleaned up by PORAC.

Leave a comment:

• SyntaxError
    replied
    Good luck getting hired as a Park Ranger with SAPD. I passed the written, PAT, pre-background interview, and oral interview and this was mid summer last year. There’s only 2 or 3 positions available and these positions have been open for quite a while. I was told that the unit responsible for hiring has shifted their focus on hiring for recruit/lateral positions and filling these PR positions have been put on the back burner and that they’ll contact me when they look to fill the PR position.

Fun fact, one point, they actually considered hiring that CHP officer who got physical with that mentally ill woman on the freeway, for a PR position.
    Last edited by SyntaxError; 01-28-2019, 09:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LeeRoy
    replied
    Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
    Could be infraction cite powers: meter maid status.
    I did some more digging. They're under the Parks Department rather than the PD so they don't have to comply with POST. These rangers carry guns, make arrests, and patrol in code 3 equipped vehicles. CA has a loophole for local Park Rangers and other miscellaneous peace officers that lets them do armed police work with only minimal 832 PC training (basically the level 3 module of the reserve academy).

I get the fire department arson investigators and welfare fraud folks not needing a full police academy but I think anybody in a uniform with a gun, red lights, and siren that is out patrolling and doing self initiated police work should be going through a full academy and FTO program. The standards for volunteer reserve police and deputies are more stringent than what a park ranger peace officer is required to have in order to go out on patrol.

Leave a comment:

• CCCSD
    replied
    Could be infraction cite powers: meter maid status.

Leave a comment:

• LeeRoy
    replied
    "Incumbents are not sworn police officers, but are limited function peace officers while on duty and for the purpose of performing their primary function."

I didn't know POST regs allowed a POST agency to have non-conforming peace officers in their ranks. Other Park Ranger units in the state (Sacramento and Kern Counties for example) that participate in POST are required to send folks to the full academy in order to participate in POST but the job posting tends to indicate they send their rangers to something less than the full academy.

Leave a comment:

• Eparga23
    replied
    Being from Santa ana, I've learned they maintain safety and enforce laws at the local parks, I've encountered several Rangers at Thornton park over the years since they would stop by during my sister's softball games. Go around making sure everything was okay, they had marked units so i believe they are apart of sapd

Leave a comment:

• Oiler12
    started a topic Santa Ana Park Rangers

Santa Ana Park Rangers

Hello all, does anyone have any info. On this position?

https://www.governmentjobs.com/caree...ortunitiesJobs

It says they're armed and part of Santa Ana PD. Apparently they used to use part time retired SAPD officers as park rangers until CalPers informed the city they could no longer use CalPers retirees. Any info on the park ranger position would be appreciated. Thanks.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9902 users online. 474 members and 9428 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X