Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Leaderboard Mobile

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bankruptcy while hired on or in academy?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bankruptcy while hired on or in academy?

Currently I am an academy hopeful. Anything negative in my background has been reasonably longer than the minimums.
    At the moment I have a really good job working for the rail road but it isn’t a career for me at 28.
    in 2017 me and my fiancé faced some medical hurdles and a bunch of medical bills. I’ve kept my job for 5 years now but my fiancé was laid off and took a lower paying job half of her old salary. We have been living a comfortable and modest lifestyle since our debt pile up and haven’t had a problem making payments on anything. Fast forward to now we are expecting our first child together early 2019 and there is no guarantee she will still have her job after she delivers our child. My income covers all of the bills and her income is the spending money for necessities.

My question is with a child to support now and the reality of her job situation how would bankruptcy effect me as a last resort if she is let go and isn’t able find employment. Being that I make a good salary I took the responsibility of being the primary credit fall person in the event of a bad situation.
    If in backgrounds or even in academy how will this impact me.

Backgrounds having the bankruptcy, although possibly valid, will effect you. Especially in today's market. But each agency is different and all have their own standards. It's hard to say what will happen what you do in the academy, generally once your hired there is no check on your finances unless you work a special unit. Some departments do have financial disclosure agreements.

And dude why don't want to leave the railroad? They have a great retirement from what I've read about that's still a nice secret
    I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Which railroad do you work for? Does it have a police force?

If so, I would apply to tthem. Seriously, don’t waste your time applying to local or state level police departments. Especially in California. Times are changing for the worst. SB 1421 was recently passed and many believe it allows retroactive release of all your personnel files (including your medical and financial histories). Next year the legislature will take up AB 931 (a change in Use of Force laws from reasonable to necessary. It barely failed this year.).

go railroad. The pay that certain agencies have or the benefits do not balance the risk.
      semper destravit

Comment

While some agencies may be willing to forgive a past bankruptcy, it's typically going to be a situation where someone had it years ago and showed an ability to recover financially. Given how competitive LE hiring is in my market, having a recent bankruptcy would pretty much be a non-starter.

IMO, a lot of people look to bankruptcy as an easy way to hit the reset button. Not there aren't legitimate reasons for it, but it should be seen as an absolute last resort. I've watched 2 family members go through it; more than 10 years later they both deal with unforeseen consequences regularly and frequently. Both say, in retrospect, it was a really bad idea.

Comment

I would recommend, because I know railroad police want experience, if you can become a reserve cop somewhere. Work the railroad to keep that retirement for you and your wife ( no civil service gig will give you a pension for your spouse) do at least 2 years and try to get on with the railroad police.
          I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Originally posted by moparfan View Post
            I would recommend, because I know railroad police want experience, if you can become a reserve cop somewhere. Work the railroad to keep that retirement for you and your wife ( no civil service gig will give you a pension for your spouse) do at least 2 years and try to get on with the railroad police.
            Being Johnny law is the family business, my whole family is a pound of bacon. I chose to go to college and 6 years ago I had a rough driving year. I landed a gig with the railroad and unfortunately it’s not what it appears to be anymore. Our union has weakened and every contract weakens and weakens. The moral is gone and the department I work for is garuneteed cancer or liver failure from the chemicals at 50.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10973 users online. 451 members and 10522 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X