Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Leaderboard Mobile

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upcoming/New Southern California Law Enforcement Agencies!!!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upcoming/New Southern California Law Enforcement Agencies!!!

Last edited by VICHENZO; 12-11-2018, 07:44 PM.

I don't think the Compton College PD is new, they were prior to 2007 their own department. But in 2007 merged with El Camino Community College.
    http://www.elcamino.edu/about/depts/police/History.aspx

Val Verde just got up and running. I've seen the job posting.

Seems like Riverside is losing some contracts, that's never a good thing
    I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

There will be more than a few cities that will dump their contracts because it gets them out of paying for the pension liability the county incurred employing the deputies under Classic retirement formulas. It's going to be interesting. Victorville City is dumping their fire contract with SB County and doesn't have to deal with any of the pension liability and the county is freaking out.. but there is nothing they can do. I think contract policing for mid-large cities is going to decrease over the next decade. Riverside and Orange counties all have a lot of cities who would like to do something else and have studies in the works.

Comment

• RGDS
        RGDS commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed. Contract Police Services are really for small towns and mid-size under 100,000. Of course, the city dumping the contract simply to avoid paying one set of pensions is still going to have to pay pensions (unless they employ folks on a no-pension basis...)

• moparfan
        moparfan commented
        Editing a comment
        When did San Bernardino Fire break off from CAL Fire?

If cities can slow the funds they are paying for a contract away and build up the needed funds to start their own police then I see that happening. But how long will it take a City to do that?
        Last edited by moparfan; 12-14-2018, 05:54 PM.

the pay for Val Verde looks decent, but small school police departments come and go, politics and budgets.

Comment

SB County and CDF broke up in 1997. Start up costs can be all over the place. Some of the contract cities own their facility and the vehicles. Start up costs are a lot less when that is the case.

I think a lot of cities have gotten better about funding their pensions, which has been made easier in that the market is good for the moment, but also the pensions are not as generous. The liability of previous underfunding and higher formulas for anyone hired pre PERPRA is crushing. Counties will have to raise the contract to pay for those (which is what is happening all over) and cities will just be better off forming a new police department and paying everyone rates under the new rules.

Comment

But unless the City starts it's in pension vs going into CalPERS the only thing they would be saving is really nothing pension wise. The cost is when the Sheriff department doesn't fill the number of units the contract calls for. Cities are going to have to offer something nice to attract and retain people.
          I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

• nobodyjr
            nobodyjr commented
            Editing a comment
            The would save a lot because they would not have the burden of paying legacy pension cost from deputies who generally had 3 at 50 or similar pensions which weren't funded enough, and have all new employees on a lower formula like 2.7 at 57... way cheaper.

I wouldn’t risk my life for a 401(k)...
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13501 users online. 401 members and 13100 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X