300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irvine PD

anyone have ANY info on irvine? morale, good dept, type of work they do in that area, affordable housing anywhere?how many officers are they hiring?

Originally posted by phxsundevil19
    anyone have ANY info on irvine? morale, good dept, type of work they do in that area, affordable housing anywhere?how many officers are they hiring?
    Good morale, good pay, nice area, type of work: traffic.

Affordable housing? Not compared to AZ. Decent liveable house is 650+, that's 1200-1500 sq ft in an OK area. Expect to pay 700 to a mill. for a good size (2000+ sq ft) in a desirable area.

Comment

Originally posted by hbliam
      Good morale, good pay, nice area, type of work: traffic.

Affordable housing? Not compared to AZ. Decent liveable house is 650+, that's 1200-1500 sq ft in an OK area. Expect to pay 700 to a mill. for a good size (2000+ sq ft) in a desirable area.
      i am from socal in college at AZ but my god, where the hell am i going to live? id like to live within 15 miles of the station! im 20 yrs old and would have a sizable downpayment (looking to start in a condo). the money sounds great but even at their top step and topped out, is it enough money to live fairly nice if ur single or with a wife and a child?

Comment

Yes and no. within 20 miles of the station could put you in Corona or Rancho Santa Margarita. Condos run upwards of $350k or so.

Irvine is just over 30 years old as a city. Not too too long ago they switched to PERS [email protected] formula. Needless to say, nearly every single original copper who had thirty years on retired. There are entire shifts being fielded where the senior guy has less than one year on.

The Irvine Spectrum outdoor mall draws a young crowd from miles around, and the trouble they often bring. In addition, there is the science-heavy UCI campus.

Other than that, it is an upscale, educated population for the most part. Irvine is a "soft-touch" city. Very, ummm PC and Customer Service" if you know what I mean. My L.A. area training did not go over well when I took the oral there when I was considering lateralling.

In fact, they never called me, I called them several months later, the conversation went much like this:

ME: I'm just calling to check my application status.

IPD: Oh, I see you took the oral on such-n-such date. You aren't in Tier/Band/Group 1, you're in Group 2.

ME: Great. What should I expect next?

IPD: You don't understand, you were in Group 2.

ME: I understand. What do you need from me next.

IPD: You don't understand, we don't process Group 2, we only process Group 1.

ME: OHHHHHHH, I failed the oral then?

IPD: Well, we don't like to use the term 'fail.'

Needless to say, they weren't looking for someone with inner-city experience. Not touch-feely customer-service oriented enough for them.

Anyhow, take it for what it's worth. You asked for Irvine intel, I gave you my biased first-hand perception.

Hope this helps,

EDJ
        "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Comment

Well they just hired several guys from our inner city LA County department. Both had about 8-10 years on. Maybe you caught them on a bad day.

Comment

Originally posted by hbliam
            Well they just hired several guys from our inner city LA County department. Both had about 8-10 years on. Maybe you caught them on a bad day.
            I would agree with you that it was probably me and not my background that failed the oral...'cept I was told that by a CRI. Same thing went down with that 'other' Super-Customer-Service OC agency.

Irvine seemed awfully interested in the young CHP lateral applicants who were sick of the 5/40s.

FWIW,

EDJ
            "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Comment

Originally posted by ElDiabloJoe
              I would agree with you that it was probably me and not my background that failed the oral...'cept I was told that by a CRI. Same thing went down with that 'other' Super-Customer-Service OC agency.

Irvine seemed awfully interested in the young CHP lateral applicants who were sick of the 5/40s.

FWIW,

EDJ

hey thanks everyone for your opinions(biased or not). i kind of got that impression from the recruiter. GREAT recruiter and VERY honest. I am thinking Phoenix PD or AZ DPS is my best bet...no offense to CA(im from there and had to LASD parents).id like to start the academy at 20 1/2 and i know AZ will give me that opportunity with good police work. id like to find that in CA so i can get a good comparison going...

Comment

Originally posted by ElDiabloJoe

FWIW,

EDJ

"joe"- don't take it hard- you probably got some Sgt or so& so who didn't have the experience as you have had,and decided "he' NOT our type of office-SIR".Heard this from an LAPD P-3 buddy burnt out from "big bro Blue"-he applied for tiny La Palma PD and said he was asked if he though he was "too aggrssive" for a small community by one of the interviewers-WTF???? Its like that sometimes as certain area agencies are "locals only" in terms of the laterals they hire.ditto another friend of mine who left LAPD to go back into nursing-she decided that nursing paid better but was bored and went to Hermosa Bch PD to apply(didn't want the grind of LAPD again despite several offers to return)-they straight told her that LAPD mentality wouldn't work and she gave me an example of an "impossible scenario" -415 bar fight with 20-30 unruly bar goers and NO back up to handle it ! ( yeah,rt) Now she works with my Dept,makes $10K more /yr than she would have with Hermosa....Stay Tan and grn,JOE !!!
                "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Originally posted by phxsundevil19
                  i am from socal in college at AZ but my god, where the hell am i going to live? id like to live within 15 miles of the station! im 20 yrs old and would have a sizable downpayment (looking to start in a condo). the money sounds great but even at their top step and topped out, is it enough money to live fairly nice if ur single or with a wife and a child?
                  Stay! sounds like you've adjusted- the homes are cheaper there,the agencies are growing and have decent pay ( avg is $45-65K/yr) and the communities have less crime( at least in some spots and suburbs). you can always "Visit" So.Cal on vacations or wkends...
                  "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Originally posted by DOAcop38
                    Stay! sounds like you've adjusted- the homes are cheaper there,the agencies are growing and have decent pay ( avg is $45-65K/yr) and the communities have less crime( at least in some spots and suburbs). you can always "Visit" So.Cal on vacations or wkends...

ya the burbs are good here (some at least) but il live in phx or scottsdale. and if i can get DPS in YUma ill take it... socal is great. my mom lives there so i dont need to get a hotel haha! but ya we got our good areas like LAPD. not south central or rampart, but South Phoenix, Central City, and Maryvale are some good/fast precincts

Comment

I rode along with Phx Pd last year. Seems like they are a pretty touchy feely dept also. Some of the guys there agreed. But it was only one ride. That dept is growing though. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Five-0fromSoCal View Post
                        I rode along with Phx Pd last year. Seems like they are a pretty touchy feely dept also. Some of the guys there agreed. But it was only one ride. That dept is growing though. Good luck.
                        they are touchy feely, what precinct did you ride? after working upstairs as a police aide, they are pretty image concious but i think overall they stand by there officers. any recommendations on where to go or who to look into?

Comment

Originally posted by phxsundevil19 View Post
                          they are touchy feely, what precinct did you ride? after working upstairs as a police aide, they are pretty image concious but i think overall they stand by there officers. any recommendations on where to go or who to look into?
                          I rode at Maryvale Station.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3172 users online. 186 members and 2986 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X