Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you actually comparing getting yelled at on the street or other stressful events on the job to having some RTO yell at you? I don’t think those things are remotely the same. That’s why you have people excel in a stressful academy environment and fail in the real world.

Not everyone needs a paramilitary academy to succeed as a cop. I’ll stand by my initial statement: If you need to get yelled at to succeed as a cop, maybe you need to do some maturing before you even try to become one.

Comment

Originally posted by aspiring_fed View Post
      Are you actually comparing getting yelled at on the street or other stressful events on the job to having some RTO yell at you? I don’t think those things are remotely the same. That’s why you have people excel in a stressful academy environment and fail in the real world.

Not everyone needs a paramilitary academy to succeed as a cop. I’ll stand by my initial statement: If you need to get yelled at to succeed as a cop, maybe you need to do some maturing before you even try to become one.
      Like I had said in my first post, "This is not a blanket statement." Some, as you may be also, are well adjusted adults (have life experience) and have the maturity to understand the reality of being a law enforcement officer. Remember that you have the ability to destroy lives, no one else in society has that level of power. Society watches those with such power with an ever watchful eye and expects perfection for the most part from those who perform such a job.

With that being said, how do you teach maturity, respect, obey orders and muscle brain memory to a 21 year old that has no life experience? It has been a proven fact that the best way to do so is with a tough, stressful and fast moving environment. Societies have been using this training model since countries started an organized military.

The modern liberal theory of a kindler gentler training program is what is and has been seeping into all aspects of military and police training. If you don't experience any stress in training what happens when you face it in the real world?

Anyway, both our arguments can have their outliers, but for the majority, sticking to a centuries old proven training process works. Somebody has got to prepare you for what you are going to face, otherwise you wont know what to expect and no one knows how you'll react.

Comment

I went through Basic Training in the military, as did all the other veterans. They felt getting the "BT" environment again would do nothing for us.
        Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
        USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
        "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
        Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

In the words of Mike Tyson "everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the mouth".
          sigpic

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
          -George Orwell

Comment

• moparfan
            moparfan commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol

Originally posted by J2H View Post
          I went through Basic Training in the military, as did all the other veterans. They felt getting the "BT" environment again would do nothing for us.
          And I agree, but my point was you went through it once and I'm sure you understood the whole reasoning behind the tough/stressful training environment. This is one of the reasons why law enforcement puts a preference on veterans. The theory is you've been through some $##t (BT and military life) and came out the other side OK.

What about the 20 year old who has lived in mom and dad's basement and the only life experience he/she has had was a disgruntled customer while he/she was working a McDonald's cashier job? If you put someone like that in a soft kindler gentler academy he/she will have a serious wake up call the first time they face a 6'4" 250 lb. parolee who doesn't want to go along with the program.

All I'm trying to say is it is necessary for some recruits to be put through some serious stress and pain so they themselves and the RTO's can see how they can adapt and overcome. It thickens the skin, melts the snowflake and reveals to the recruit if he/she can handle the real rigors of life as a cop.

Some, who are honest with themselves bow out early and that's a good thing for all of us that do the job already. Others who aren't honest sometimes are bounced out by the RTO's.

Comment

And some wash out in the FTO process when they get their taste of a traumatic situation ie, baby not breathing, partner injured, shootings, etc. We had some early on in the academy quit when the stressors of the academy got to them. Like SOCAleo said better for everyone involved.
            sigpic

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
            -George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by cruz0311 View Post
              And some wash out in the FTO process when they get their taste of a traumatic situation ie, baby not breathing, partner injured, shootings, etc. We had some early on in the academy quit when the stressors of the academy got to them. Like SOCAleo said better for everyone involved.
              Exactly my point. Turn on the stress meter as high as you can in a training environment and all will see pretty quickly what kind of man/woman you're made of (i.e the academy and FTO). But if the stress factor is never utilized during those processes then it will inevitably be utilized in the field by some A hole with a point to prove, but by then, in my opinion, it will be too late.

Again, this is not a blanket statement, but a stressful training program has been proven to be the best indicator of how one can handle a career filled with disappointments, push back, fighting, angst, pain, suffering, politicians, black lives matter and on and on.

Comment

Another thing to consider. The most elite soldiers in the military must first go through basic military training. After they pass that they then must go through their special ops/BUD/S training, which is no fricken joke. Why is that? Could a Navy SEAL be a Navy SEAL without the stress/pain training of BUD/S? No. BUD/S is the basic screening process for who can be a part of that team.

Police training should utilize that same concept. Nothing worth it in my opinion comes easy or for free.

Comment

No offense, but can you guys take the political crap and opinions on whether someone is too much of a "p*ssy" somewhere else please? I just wanted info on this academy and its turning into something far from what i was asking. Thanks!

Comment

I think all academies should be paramilitary. Just my .02
                    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                    that we are all that stands between
                    the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

I'm looking forward to being a part of the 165th! No prior military background on my end. I've heard about this academy and it's my belief that it's more beneficial to all recruits to go through an academy such as this.

Comment

Make sure you’re in shape. A fellow deputy went through Alameda’s academy 22 years ago and still owes them pushups.
                        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7358 users online. 300 members and 7058 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X