Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Academy, how can i better prepare myself?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Academy, how can i better prepare myself?

Can anyone tell me what to expect in there as far training and academic? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

at minimum be able to run 3 miles in 25-27 minutes.

be able to do at least 50 push-ups and sit-ups continuously.

be able to do 5 pull-ups continuously.

be mentally prepared to get yelled at for everything and not get discouraged by it.

listen and do everything you are told exactly how you are told.

check out this website: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/
    CBP Officer
    Written- Feb. 09
    Video-Based Test- Mar. 09
    Physical- Apr. 09
    Medical- May 09
    Medical Update- Jul. 09
    Background Investigation- Aug. 09
    Referred to Selection Unit- Sep. 09
    Confirmed Desire to be CBPO- Dec. 09
    Notified of New Physical- Feb. 10

Comment

Mind over matter.

Never quit.

Deal with stress properly.

Be able to keep up a cardio activity for 1 hour (say, combination of running, push-ups, sit-ups, and jumping jacks) with maybe a 1-2 minute break each 20 minutes.

Proper push-ups: chest 6 inches from the ground (set a coke can below your chest and make sure it touches), sets of 50 and at least 150 a day ability.

Time management: studying, polishing shoes and brass, ironing uniforms, and generally trying to keep up with the rest of life (family, bills, car etc) is tough. figure a schedule, figure time for a family and/or friends life, order your life.

Money management: If this is a pay increase, don't go buy a brand new car. Don't go get a new, more expensive apartment. Make it through academy and field training first.

Finally, if you smoke, quit. If you drink a lot, cut back a lot.

Comment

It depends on the academy. I saw you are from san diego. There is a large thread right now in the CA section on the San diego regional academy.
        Get low, get ground, get tactical! Sprawl! Sprawl! Sprawl!

Comment

Thanks for the promotion of my yahoo site there West Coast.

The academics are essentially the same in every academy in the state and everyone takes the same tests.

To physically prepare for the academy go to the medical section of my forum and download the SeAL prep workout. It will more than prepare you for any academy anywhere.

You need to emotionally prepare yourself and your family. You will be in a bad mood, you will be tired, you will be short with people. The more you prepare everyone now the better off you'll be.

Get a copy of the radio codes for the department and start memorizing them now. No need to wait and cram during the limited sleeping time you'll have.

Glance over the notes I have on there. You don't need to know them cold but reading over them wouldn't hurt you either.

The first week you need to set up study groups and use them frequently. Get the spouses and SO's involved it the whole thing. They'll learn something and they'll make some good friends to lean on when you're being a bear.

Best of luck
          "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

run, run, run and then run some more. push-ups, push-ups, push-ups then more push-ups. sit-ups, sit-ups, sit-ups, then throw in some leg lifts. know that for the four to six months that you're in the academy, that IS your life. sacrifice a little now for a lifetime of a fulfilling career. one last thing...you've got to want it bad, because you're going to get pushed to your limit. just remember what you're working towards!

Comment

Originally posted by westcoast
              at minimum be able to run 3 miles in 25-27 minutes.

be able to do at least 50 push-ups and sit-ups continuously.

be able to do 5 pull-ups continuously.

be mentally prepared to get yelled at for everything and not get discouraged by it.

listen and do everything you are told exactly how you are told.

check out this website: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/
              ditto the post,especially with going onto "CabasicPolice" website for info.you need to visit your own doctor also BEFORE starting any training regime,then -depending on what time you have before entering the /a police academy,start a trng program that begins your "development".On Ca Basic site theres a Phys Trainer who goes by "Bodyphit" that can give you some very good advice-also a person in the process for an agency.If you know the academy you'll be attending ,you might want to visit it to see and ask about the Phys training also. Alot of CA Academies expect people in some relative form of decent shape to begin with,but locally where I am ,LAPDs academy is doing wonders with former "couch potatoes and the thick and gooey"-where ever you ,don't show up like that...........
              "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5528 users online. 305 members and 5223 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X