300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santa Barbara Sheriff vs PD

Currently in testing for both Santa Barbara Sheriff Deputy Trainee position and the Santa Barbara Police Department police recruit position. Any pros and cons between the two I should know about?

My parents live in Santa Barbara so I know the area pretty well, just interested in info on the agencies themselves.

They're both great agencies. The Sheriff's Office has more growth opportunities due to the size however PD, which pays a higher salary, has some nice specialized assignments too. Both work together in keeping SB safe so you really can't go wrong accepting a conditional from either. I would say that one of the cons with Sheriff is that you don't know where you'll be stationed until you're assigned whereas with PD, you know exactly where you'll be patrolling. If you haven't already done the PAT for both agencies, make sure you wear good shoes for both but specifically PD (they test on a grass field with tons of divots and a few people failed due to ankle sprains during the run). The Sheriff's PAT is super easy, if you're in shape, and points count towards your eligibility ranking so make sure you finish strong in each exercise.

Comment

• ciyank
      ciyank commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info!

I would apply to both. Two officers I work with lateralled away from SB Sheriffs a couple years ago because things were bad there....low staffing, forced overtime, and pay scale issues. But I dont know how things are now. Maybe someone with more up to date info can chime in.

Comment

• ciyank
      ciyank commented
      Editing a comment
      Appreciate you taking the time!

SBSO is a little more old school and SBPD is a little more about passing out stickers and hugs.

The pay disparity between SBSO and SBPD is about 7k a year in favor of SBPD. Edit: You can pretty easily make up that difference in overtime.

Additional Edit: You'll definitely make up that difference in overtime.

3rd Edit: You'll be forced to make up that difference in overtime.

You'll probably either have to live in Ventura County or North SB County.

SBPD generally has higher morale. Sheriff Brown has a history of **** **** games with the to get what he wants politically. Do some googling on the north county jail debacle from like 2011ish.

Pros and cons with both agencies. I'd go to SBSO, but that's just me.
    Other officer: Oh that's right, I forgot, you're God's gift to police work.
    Me: At least someone recognizes it.

Turns out basic police work isn't so hard, you just have to leave the station.

Comment

• ciyank
      ciyank commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your response. Not as familiar with North SB county. I know ventura and the coastal area pretty well, any suggestions for house hunting in the north sb area?

• Blizz
      Blizz commented
      Editing a comment
      Anything that isn't Santa Maria or Guad.

Im wondering if anyone here might be able to answer this: For the Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office PAT they do not give you the minimums you must complete for a passing score. I asked my recruiter and she said that this is information that they dont share with candidates and that the test is a "benchmark" of physical abilities. So my question is will I pass if I can only do a single pull up? I can do 30~ push ups, 80+ sit ups in 2 minutes and dont have any issue with the running/obstacle portions of the test, ive been practicing my pull ups also but right now i can do 2 or 3 at best and ill probably struggle to do 1 after maxing out on push ups.

Comment

I don’t recall having to do pull-ups during their PAT, but that was a long time ago. Are you sure it is tested?

Comment

• glock_
        glock_ commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, maybe its a recent change they made for whatever reason. I got the scheduling email on 4/29. They also changed the 1.5 mile run to 1 mile
        1. 1.0 mile run in 9:00 minutes or less
        2. 99-yard obstacle course in 25 seconds or less
        3. Maximum push-ups
        4. Maximum sit-ups in two (2) minutes
        5. Maximum pull-ups

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7228 users online. 286 members and 6942 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X