300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reserve Officer positions in northern California

Hello all. I am possibly moving to the Sacramento area in the next couple months. I am currently a non-sworn reserve officer in Minnesota and was wondering if there are any police departments in the Sacramento area that will put new reserves through the academy? I have done quite a bit of research and it seems like all of the police department in this area only hire reserves that have previously completed the academy. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    John
    "It's a long way from the Supreme Court to the streets." -F.Y.
    "Saw drunk, arrested same." -Buck

Originally posted by BD0883
    Hello all. I am possibly moving to the Sacramento area in the next couple months. I am currently a non-sworn reserve officer in Minnesota and was wondering if there are any police departments in the Sacramento area that will put new reserves through the academy? I have done quite a bit of research and it seems like all of the police department in this area only hire reserves that have previously completed the academy. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    John
    You do know the training requirements in CA are much different right? As in the extreme time committment you will be making.

Comment

Originally posted by hbliam
      You do know the training requirements in CA are much different right? As in the extreme time committment you will be making.

YEP!!!

lots of time attending schooling - all on your own time and dime.

good luck tho.
      ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
      -- John Wayne

Comment

i think CA has tougher training requirements, esp if you want to be a level 1. which means you'll have to goto through the same academy (900+ hours) and same field training as fulltimers. and you are a sworn reserve in CA... i guess the only non-sworn reserves in CA are professional services and search and rescue.

too bad you're not in so CA. there are depts that will send you through a reserve academy (like LASD)

Comment

Originally posted by hbliam
          hbliam,
          Thanks for the reply. Yes, I do know that the training requirements are much different, which is one of the main reasons why I am interested in moving to a state with sworn reserves. I want to be able to work as a reserve that is a sworn Officer, which is something that, unfortunately, Minnesota does not have.

Comment

Originally posted by ask80
            i think CA has tougher training requirements, esp if you want to be a level 1. which means you'll have to goto through the same academy (900+ hours) and same field training as fulltimers. and you are a sworn reserve in CA... i guess the only non-sworn reserves in CA are professional services and search and rescue.

too bad you're not in so CA. there are depts that will send you through a reserve academy (like LASD)
            Thanks ask80. You are right, California most certainly has tougher training requirements (no disrespect to my fellow reserves in MN intended). I have noticed that lots of departments in southern CA (like LASD) will send the reserve recruits through an academy, but I have not seen the same in northern CA? I wonder why this is?

Comment

Good luck BD0883 !! We can use a few more good men in our ranks!!!
              I currently work as a reserve for a department in San Mateo county. It does take a big commitment to be a reserve officer in California. The department I work for is very reserve friendly. They view us as an important part of the team. We also train regullarly and utilize all the latest police equipment. If anyone would like more info on our program please PM me.

Comment

Need to have PC 832 done as far as I remember for a reserve position to begin with. P.O.S.T requirements in Cali are brutal, but it does raise the bar for quality.

Fresno Community College, and Allan Hancock Community College, both have Basic P.O.S.T academies, and PC 832 classes, still waiting for my Firearms course to roll over; Ten students dropped at the last minute with only two left. Ugh... Its why I'm taking an EMT academy over the summer.

As far as NorCal Departments not sending through reserve academies, it might just be as simple as SoCal being more Population Dense, and the demand for service being higher.
                The right man in the wrong place, can make all the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Enikad
                  Need to have PC 832 done as far as I remember for a reserve position to begin with. P.O.S.T requirements in Cali are brutal, but it does raise the bar for quality.

Fresno Community College, and Allan Hancock Community College, both have Basic P.O.S.T academies, and PC 832 classes, still waiting for my Firearms course to roll over; Ten students dropped at the last minute with only two left. Ugh... Its why I'm taking an EMT academy over the summer.

As far as NorCal Departments not sending through reserve academies, it might just be as simple as SoCal being more Population Dense, and the demand for service being higher.

PC832 is Level III part 1, so no you don't have to have it done to start Reserve Training.

Comment

Oh, nice.

Question then, not to take over the thread, but who has the highest demand for reserve officers in the state? I keep leaning towards thinking its San Diego, more than LA.
                    The right man in the wrong place, can make all the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Enikad
                      Oh, nice.

Question then, not to take over the thread, but who has the highest demand for reserve officers in the state? I keep leaning towards thinking its San Diego, more than LA.
                      I don't think there is a "demand" issue with reserves. The issue is the quality or existence of a reserve program department to department. Some don't have them, most do. Some pay, some don't., Some treat you poorly, some don't. Some make you transport prisoners, some let you work patrol solo.

It all depends what you want, where you live, and what your goals are.

Comment

agreed with the above... luckily LASD treats their reserves well...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4187 users online. 209 members and 3978 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X