300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girlfriend graduation/deployment

Hello everyone, I have not posted in a while. I just wanted to get some advise, maybe some encouraging words, I don't know. I'm a bit depressed over something maybe not so big but to me it is. My girlfriend is in the LASD academy and if all goes well, she is scheduled to graduate in October. I've been very supportive of her and I'm looking forward to her graduation day. The problem is, I'm deploying in September and I'm going to miss her graduation. We've been together 6 years and she means a lot to me. She flew out to Chicago when I finished basic training and she's sacrificed a lot for me. We both have. I just feel terrible that I won't be present on such an important day to both of us.it will be too early into my deployment to take leave. All I can think of is getting on one of those live video streams, but it's not the same, plus I don't know how much the time difference will be. Really sucks.

Originally posted by MRA89 View Post
    Hello everyone, I have not posted in a while. I just wanted to get some advise, maybe some encouraging words, I don't know. I'm a bit depressed over something maybe not so big but to me it is. My girlfriend is in the LASD academy and if all goes well, she is scheduled to graduate in October. I've been very supportive of her and I'm looking forward to her graduation day. The problem is, I'm deploying in September and I'm going to miss her graduation. We've been together 6 years and she means a lot to me. She flew out to Chicago when I finished basic training and she's sacrificed a lot for me. We both have. I just feel terrible that I won't be present on such an important day to both of us.it will be too early into my deployment to take leave. All I can think of is getting on one of those live video streams, but it's not the same, plus I don't know how much the time difference will be. Really sucks.
    It does suck. There's no sugarcoating that.

But you both chose careers of sacrifice. You're making sacrifices for your country. She will be making sacrifices for her community. You'll miss her big day...and this is only one of MANY special events you and her won't be able to share in the future.

All I can tell you is to make the most of every moment that you DO have together. Your support isn't a one-day thing. It's ongoing. Let her know you're with her in spirit even when you can't be there in person.

Maybe think of a special gift for her for graduation. Something thoughtful and personal. Pre-order flowers. Write a heartfelt letter (or record a video message). Leave it with someone to give to her on her special day.

​​​​​​​Good luck. And thank you for your service!

Comment

What he said ^^^^

Comment

Go plead “conscientious objector” status and push off your deployment for a couple of months.

That aside, Unfortunately, military and LE. both have moments where “duty calls” and the job causes us to miss life events. Hope you have family or close friends who can video the ceremony and you can watch it when you get a chance.

Good luck!
        Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8519 users online. 371 members and 8148 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X