Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Leaderboard Mobile

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did any of you move to California to specifically become a cop?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did any of you move to California to specifically become a cop?

Did any of you guys move to California without really knowing much about the city you work. I’ve been to LA a lot but I do not know it very well. However, I want to move there and become one.

Looking back at it now, I wouldn't do it. The political climate here in Cali to be a cop is not good. Super high cost of living, crazy liberal policies, cops getting in trouble for doing their jobs.
    sigpic

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    -George Orwell

Comment

Read what Cruz said a couple times. California has changed alot within the last few years for the worst on our laws. Voters mislead by various groups and voters being to lazy to fact check. Salaries vary across the state let alone across counties. Then factor in the pension reform and those changes. I grew up in California and my wives family and my family all is here. Now I advise folks if you can go outta state and come visit.
      I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

No I stayed here. I did move from the desert to a city. I honestly wouldn't tell you to stay away from CA because of the weak laws. Some of our sentencing is actually still tougher than many states and the last time we voted on the death penalty the state voters supported making it faster so it's not all bad. I also don't think you should worry about sentencing laws when becoming a cop because they will swing back and forth a couple of times or more in a 30 year career.

What you do need to look at is cost of living and retirement systems. California has given a big F you to middle class housing outside of the Inland Empire and Central Valley. And our retirement is no longer the envy of the nations cops.

Texas and Florida have agencies with much better retirement formulas, and cheaper housing.

Comment

• moparfan
          moparfan commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't forget the schooling for kiddos is way better in Texas and Florida compared to dead last in most polls California

Curious about this as well. Honestly I'm more into the no snow thing. Plus its always jetski season in socal so I hear.
        Last edited by TUNEDNIMPORTED; 05-12-2018, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by silvas006 View Post
          Did any of you guys move to California without really knowing much about the city you work. I’ve been to LA a lot but I do not know it very well. However, I want to move there and become one.
          You can experience this just by moving within California. I had little idea of where my current agency patrols when I applied. I had to look it up and then drive around for over two years before I got comfortable.

If you want to be a Los Angeles (I am guessing you don’t mean Los Altos) Police Officer go and apply. The City itself is huge. I bet a lot of “home grown” applicants don’t know every part of it.

semper destravit

Comment

Originally posted by Newuser2018

They added this recently..

California Passes First Law in the Country to Require Solar Panels on New Homes
            https://mymodernmet.com/california-s...els-homes-law/
            Solar is pretty cool.

Comment

• nobodyjr
              nobodyjr commented
              Editing a comment
              Not if the home builder gets the tax credit and the owner is SOL

Yes long before Wikipedia, Google search & maps, GPS, navigation units, computers, cell phones and hand-pack radios. We were issued beat maps and picked up road and street maps at AAA.

By the time we hit the streets solo we knew enough about the city and how to get to point “A” from point “B” Don’t over think it, if you want to work for LA, apply.
            Last edited by BTDT2; 05-14-2018, 10:35 AM.

Comment

• pnw01
              pnw01 commented
              Editing a comment
              Back in those days, we lived and died by the Thomas Guides!

Those that went through the process, how was it? was it difficult? How was the oral board, fitness etc..

Comment

Those that went through the process, how was it? was it difficult? How was the oral board, fitness etc..
              Sign up for the next expedited testing. All the other stuff varies on you. It's really worth it.

Comment

Moved from MN in 2003 when I was hired

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11882 users online. 439 members and 11443 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X