300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santa Rosa Junior College Basic Academy

I'm up in Nor Cal for college and have plans to enter law enforcment. Does anyone here know anything about the SRJC basic academy?

What's the Physical training like, are the academics tough?

Thanks!

Being a graduate of Fullerton I can say that JR college police academies have the same standards to live by as the big ones (IE Rio Hondo). Expect lots of yelling, running, push-ups, running, sit-ups, running, push-ups, running, and rabbit chases.

Comment

Hey skater, come over to my site and download my academy notes. I also went to Fullerton but from talking to everyone around the state they are all about the same. Some run more than others, some yell more than others and some like Fullerton do DT more than others. Just remember, your learning doesn't quite when you graduate.

As far as academics go, they all take the same exact tests so you are dependent on your studying abilities and your instructor's talent as a teacher. If you are graduating with a philosophy degree you'll probably fail but if you are getting any sort of real degree or you did half decent in high school you'll do good. Don't take this to mean you won't need to study, because you will. You'd do well for yourself and your class to set up study groups the first week of the academy.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/
      Last edited by pkagel; 04-06-2007, 12:02 AM.
      "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by Rogerthump
        Being a graduate of Fullerton I can say that JR college police academies have the same standards to live by as the big ones (IE Rio Hondo). Expect lots of yelling, running, push-ups, running, sit-ups, running, push-ups, running, and rabbit chases.
        Fullerton and Rio Hondo are both JR college academies. Or am i reading your post wrong?

Yep, been through part of my academy at a PD and the last part at a JC. The JC was tougher in some areas and the PD was tougher in others. I'm glad I got both experiances.

Comment

I figured that there would be a lot of yelling, running, push ups, sit ups, and all that good fun.

But when academies say that they are "low stress, high discipline" what all does that mean?

Comment

Originally posted by hbliam
            Fullerton and Rio Hondo are both JR college academies. Or am i reading your post wrong?

Yep, been through part of my academy at a PD and the last part at a JC. The JC was tougher in some areas and the PD was tougher in others. I'm glad I got both experiances.
            I wouldn't know because I never went there. I know side by side, Rio Hondo is a giant in comparison.

As for all academies taking the same tests, PKGEL is right. These days you get the LDs for free. In my day we had to buy them from POST. And if we couldn't afford them all, we had to go find a copy machine and hope none of the instructors saw us rip off POST.

In the spirit of saying POST so many time in this thread,,,

FRONT LEANING REST POSITION, POST!

Comment

Free, since when? I had to pay for mine in 2004.

As far as "low stress, high discipline" goes I have no idea what that means. I can only guess that it means you'll have a lot of paperwork to do every day.

As far as Fullerton was concerned I would put it on the medium discipline scale with most of it weighted to the 1st semester. Not much paperwork was given out during inspections because I think they understood that most of us had full time jobs to attend to along with families to support.
              "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

I wouldn't know because I never went there. I know side by side, Rio Hondo is a giant in comparison.
                Gotcha. I think however that JC academies aren't really compared much between each other, they are what they are. The comparison usually comes up between actual agency run academies and private academies. Almost without fail the agency academies are tougher. But from what I hear LAPD is easier now then just about every JC program.

Comment

Originally posted by hbliam
                  Gotcha. I think however that JC academies aren't really compared much between each other, they are what they are. The comparison usually comes up between actual agency run academies and private academies. Almost without fail the agency academies are tougher. But from what I hear LAPD is easier now then just about every JC program.
                  I think that LAPD is hurting so bad they don't want to loose anyone that went as far as the academy. All blow, no go, ya know?

BTW pkgel, all of the learning domains are available for free in PDF format on the POST website. For the life of me I can't find them now. I have seen them though.

Comment

If you find the link let me know because all I can find is the link to have them sent to Kinkos. My computer crashed last year and I lost all my PDF version of the LD's.

Comment

I think that LAPD is hurting so bad they don't want to loose anyone that went as far as the academy. All blow, no go, ya know?

Yep- Pack'em in , push 'em thru -"kill'em" ( terminate) on probation........
                      "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Originally posted by DOAcop38
                        Yep- Pack'em in , push 'em thru -"kill'em" ( terminate) on probation........
                        Well you know what they say. Like hamsters, law enforcement sometime eat their young.

Comment

i went through a jr college academy in chula vista (southwestern) and graduated in june 2006... where are the free LDs? damn that would have saved me a lot of money... but then again i was partially sponsored (as in I was hired and paid through the 2nd half of the academy)...

i think jr college academies are less intense than full time agency run academies. yes we learn the same stuff... but most jr college academies are extended format.. i know some offer full time format...i think the full time academies are more intense and sort of more respected (like OCSD, LASD,etc)....IMO

Comment

I wouldn't go speaking for all JC academies. A good portion of our instructors were/are LAPD SWAT and then their was the countless hours of DT. I'd also say our scenarios were much more intense than other academies if you had the right instructors(Lt. Higbie anyone!!!)

Now, just up the road is Rio Hondo which is well known for being the top runners and having that forsaken hill they have to run all the time.

Comment

i graduated fromt the Santa Rosa JC police academy. I never heard the term "low stress, high discipline" but there is nothing to fear. I recently watched a video on "youtube" of LA sheriff academy's "Black Monday" and there were many DI's running around yelling and screaming at recruits. That kinda stuff doesn't really happen at the SRJC academy.

Don't get me wrong, the RTO's (recruit training officers) will yell at you if you are a moron and aren't listening to what they are saying, but most of the time they are there to teach you rather than mess with you.

Academics are really good, training is really good. Because it is a JC, you get a lot of different instructors from lots of different departments. So you will learn a bunch of different tactics and you can decide best how to use them, or what fits your "style". Physical Training is a little weak. If you can run the 1.5mi in a reasonable time, you should be fine with the program. Let me know if you have any more questions. I'd be happy to answer them.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5758 users online. 328 members and 5430 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X