Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because its just that easy to hire that many bodies.
    sigpic

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    -George Orwell

Comment

Those numbers that the department is putting out is a pipe dream. There is no way to get the number of applicants to produce that number of academy graduates.
      Carpe Noctem

Comment

• moparfan
        moparfan commented
        Editing a comment
        Not to mention the staff time run that many bodies from the DI's, range staff and and DT staff. With 2019 just about at mid year, there is no way the department has hired 500 deputies. I wanna say the average class is 60 or so.. and running two locations that's only 180 to 240 deps.

This is the number of LASD Deputy Sheriff Trainees currently in the academy. There are currently four academy classes being run simultaneously.

DEPUTY SHERIFF TRAINEE ACADEMY CLASSES/OTS PROGRAM

ACADEMY. FROM TO. START TOTAL. CURRENT TOTAL
      DST CLASS #436. 12/13/18-. 05/24/19. 89. 69
      DST CLASS #437. 02/07/19. 07/12/19. 90. 74
      DST CLASS #438 - COC. 02/28/19. 08/02/19. 85. 82
      DST CLASS #439. 04/04/19. 08/23/19. 90. 81
      DST / OFF-THE-STREETER PROGRAM. 10
      TOTAL. 316

This list is from the 4/28/19 Position Control Weekly Vacancy Report. This cycle repeats itself 3 times during the year. 12 Deputies have been added to run an additional DST Class at Star Center this year. That is where the 1000 new Deputies per year figure comes from. At this point in 2019 LASD is on track to meet this figure.

Comment

• moparfan
        moparfan commented
        Editing a comment
        Your figures show 3 classes that have yet finished. You must be a psych to predict that class 438 will only loose 3 folks. The 10 off the streeter program all already figured into the classes you posted. They pull folks and work them before their assigned academy starts. And this figures are close to what I posted. Yet 316 to 1000 is still 684 deputies short of the wanted 1000.

Moparfan - Multiply 3 times the current in progress classes. There are 3 cycles of 4 classes per year. Then add the new Star Center class. That is where the projected 1000 figure comes from and that is why LASD is currently on track for 1000 Deputies in 2019. The 10 Off the Streeters are not figured into any class. That is why they are listed separately. The numbers listed next to the academy classes are not predictions. The first number next to each class number is how many DST’s the class started with. The second number next to each class is how many DST’s remain in the class as of 4/28/19. The second numbers will vary as the class moves towards its final graduation date. Sometimes this number can change the day before graduation. I hope this helps explain the numbers and process.

Comment

• SeizeandFreeze
        SeizeandFreeze commented
        Editing a comment
        How about we wait until the end of the year? It is a lofty goal but highly doubt the department will be anywhere close to 1000 new deputies by Jan 2020. Keep drinking the koolaid. Also how many will be lost during the same period to retirement or seperation?
        Last edited by SeizeandFreeze; 05-04-2019, 11:57 AM. Reason: Typo

Originally posted by RWC View Post
      Moparfan - Multiply 3 times the current in progress classes. There are 3 cycles of 4 classes per year. Then add the new Star Center class. That is where the projected 1000 figure comes from and that is why LASD is currently on track for 1000 Deputies in 2019. The 10 Off the Streeters are not figured into any class. That is why they are listed separately. The numbers listed next to the academy classes are not predictions. The first number next to each class number is how many DST’s the class started with. The second number next to each class is how many DST’s remain in the class as of 4/28/19. The second numbers will vary as the class moves towards its final graduation date. Sometimes this number can change the day before graduation. I hope this helps explain the numbers and process.
      Yeah I get how to read the figures. Your math has it at 316with the OS included. Still those numbers based on when the classes graduate don't add up to 1000. Even putting in two more classes for the end of the year it won't add up. Based on the fact the department is not running there old 100+ classes we won't get close to that number. It simply comes down to not having the personal to teach that many folks. I was at a CPT class and even the instructor said there were not enough defensive tactics instructors. It was going to be him and one other for a class of 60, where there should be at least a 1 to 6 ratio.

Out that on top of loosing approximately 300 a year due to retirement, quite, fired and laterals.

The 1000 a year has been a dream since Bacca. It's not reachable without lowering standards and upping teaching ratios.
      I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Originally posted by moparfan View Post

Yeah I get how to read the figures. Your math has it at 316with the OS included. Still those numbers based on when the classes graduate don't add up to 1000. Even putting in two more classes for the end of the year it won't add up. Based on the fact the department is not running there old 100+ classes we won't get close to that number. It simply comes down to not having the personal to teach that many folks. I was at a CPT class and even the instructor said there were not enough defensive tactics instructors. It was going to be him and one other for a class of 60, where there should be at least a 1 to 6 ratio.

Out that on top of loosing approximately 300 a year due to retirement, quite, fired and laterals.

The 1000 a year has been a dream since Bacca. It's not reachable without lowering standards and upping teaching ratios.
        The figures are 316 times 3. There are three cycles of approx 316. That figure of 316 is just the first trimester of 2019. Then add 1 Star Center class to get the total of 1000 hires for 2019. However, you are correct that the total gain will not be 1000. There will be retirements etc. The budgeted 1000 figure is for total HIRES for 2019.

Comment

Hiring update. In addition to the below, LASD hired 22 people yesterday. LASD Class #440 started today with 90 in the class. An additional 90 are scheduled to start in three weeks at the Star Center academy. Well on the way to hitting the 1000 mark by the end of the year.

DEPUTY SHERIFF TRAINEE ACADEMY CLASSES/OTS PROGRAM

ACADEMY. FROM TO. START TOTAL. CURRENT TOTAL
          DST CLASS #436. 12/13/18-. 05/24/19. 89. 69
          DST CLASS #437. 02/07/19. 07/12/19. 90. 74
          DST CLASS #438 - COC. 02/28/19. 08/02/19. 85. 82
          DST CLASS #439. 04/04/19. 08/23/19. 90. 81
          DST / OFF-THE-STREETER PROGRAM. 10
          TOTAL. 316

Comment

So? Do you get paid by the letter?
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

4BAE2430-BCBA-4E62-8CA5-72E4F9CEA4A9.jpeg

Have you seen the new LASD website? LASD.org
              LASD is committed to better connect with the communities that we serve. Check out our new pages for the Sheriff Stations that serve your area. Many more exciting resources are coming in the near future.

Comment

what is 'off the streeter'?

Comment

• moparfan
                  moparfan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Is someone who is hired before their academy starts. They do like office stuff. Some work a month or so before the academy.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6054 users online. 187 members and 5867 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X