Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miramir Regional Training

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Miramir Regional Training

    Does anyone know what the actual hours are for training during the academy?

    Do the instructors conduct PT in the morning or afternoon?

  • #2
    Originally posted by novmike
    Does anyone know what the actual hours are for training during the academy?

    Do the instructors conduct PT in the morning or afternoon?

    m-f 0700-1530... usually. Sometimes it's night shoots/driving. About half the PT is in the morning and half in the afternoon. And about one day a week is down on the border in Otay Mesa.
    Get low, get ground, get tactical! Sprawl! Sprawl! Sprawl!

    Comment


    • #3
      Why on the border

      Cadets/recruits go to the border? For what?

      Are there shower facilities for after PT?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by novmike
        Cadets/recruits go to the border? For what?

        Are there shower facilities for after PT?
        The main firearms range is there. it's near Donovan Prison. There is a locker room/showers at the academy and you change from your pt gear into your uniform after the run.
        Get low, get ground, get tactical! Sprawl! Sprawl! Sprawl!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by nobody33
          The main firearms range is there. it's near Donovan Prison. There is a locker room/showers at the academy and you change from your pt gear into your uniform after the run.
          A further drive, but a heck of a lot nicer than the old SDPD Home Ave range.

          Novmike - The shower facility is the locker room from the Miramar college athletic department.

          Comment


          • #6
            that sucks the recruits can't just shoot at the miramar/sheriff range on base. it's so close to the miramar academy. but i hear the otay mesa range is nice

            Comment


            • #7
              You do know the traffic sucks on the 15 though?
              Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Not a live in academy

                I just thought that PT was conducted at the end of the day, since this was not a live-in academy.



                A few other questions:

                1. How fast do they run at Miramir? What pace 8/9 min mile or faster? What about older trainees, are they suppose to keep up or are they told to leave because they can't run as fast as everyonre else.

                2. Does anyone know what type of firearm the SD Sheriff's department use?

                Thanks

                Mike

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ask80
                  that sucks the recruits can't just shoot at the miramar/sheriff range on base. it's so close to the miramar academy. but i hear the otay mesa range is nice

                  They do use that range sometimes. But as Fuzz mentioned Otay is the nicest range around. It is much nicer than the sheriff range on Miramar, and SDPD's range. And there are classrooms and a room for dtac. I wish the academy had been down there (I live in the middle of both). But for people from oside and north county the drive is bad.

                  The running pace starts out at about an 11-10 minute mile. within 3 weeks you are running 4-5 mile runs at a 9-10 minute pace. Sometimes you go to the gym, but it depends on who your TO is. Right now there is a lot of runners up there. Running is not hard. We had a guy in his early 50's and he did ok. You can fall back and still make it through the academy. We had a lady in her 50's not make the runs and fail out. The standards are the same for everyone.

                  The SDSO recruits got Glock 40 cals (I think 21's?) with a TLR tac light.

                  I see you are asking questions about SDSO and are from Oside. Just a heads up. Everyone from my academy from SDSO was sent to the south county... even their recruits who lived up north.
                  Get low, get ground, get tactical! Sprawl! Sprawl! Sprawl!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by novmike
                    I just thought that PT was conducted at the end of the day, since this was not a live-in academy.

                    Nope...and during the summer months PT in the morning was a blessing we all looked forward to.

                    A few other questions:

                    1. How fast do they run at Miramir? What pace 8/9 min mile or faster? What about older trainees, are they suppose to keep up or are they told to leave because they can't run as fast as everyonre else.

                    As long as you are in decent shape you will be fine barring any injuries. A lot of non-runners made good progress and passed with no problems.

                    2. Does anyone know what type of firearm the SD Sheriff's department use?

                    Thanks

                    Mike

                    As stated....SDSO uses Glock 40 cal.

                    If you are in north county and going to the academy make sure you work out a carpool with others in your section...it helped tremendously on gas money, time, etc.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by nobody33
                      They do use that range sometimes. But as Fuzz mentioned Otay is the nicest range around. It is much nicer than the sheriff range on Miramar, and SDPD's range. And there are classrooms and a room for dtac. I wish the academy had been down there (I live in the middle of both). But for people from oside and north county the drive is bad.

                      The running pace starts out at about an 11-10 minute mile. within 3 weeks you are running 4-5 mile runs at a 9-10 minute pace. Sometimes you go to the gym, but it depends on who your TO is. Right now there is a lot of runners up there. Running is not hard. We had a guy in his early 50's and he did ok. You can fall back and still make it through the academy. We had a lady in her 50's not make the runs and fail out. The standards are the same for everyone.

                      The SDSO recruits got Glock 40 cals (I think 21's?) with a TLR tac light.

                      I see you are asking questions about SDSO and are from Oside. Just a heads up. Everyone from my academy from SDSO was sent to the south county... even their recruits who lived up north.
                      glock 22.. i didn't know the recruits were also issued tlr weapon lights..

                      yea i heard new recruits having a long long commute... ain't too bad if you get CJ cuz you can take the coaster train and it's free... but it really sucks if you have to goto george bailey... good luck trying to get vista ...

                      please change miramir to miramAr...

                      anyone know if they're going to implement the mandatory rotational policy for C/D deputies? just curious...and are any new LE recruits being sent to courts? before, i met a lot of new LE recruits at the downtown courts...
                      Last edited by ask80; 04-04-2007, 09:59 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ask80
                        just curious...and are any new LE recruits being sent to courts? before, i met a lot of new LE recruits at the downtown courts...
                        Out of the jan regional academy SDSO sent new hires (those who weren't C/D's) : Downtown courts (2 to field services), Downtown jail, and Las Colinas.
                        Get low, get ground, get tactical! Sprawl! Sprawl! Sprawl!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Recruiters are saying

                          Saying that new recruits will do Court duty after graduation.


                          If I make it through the hiring process, I will have to commute from Oceanside.


                          This is what I will probably do:

                          1. Early morning drive to the academy
                          2. Get some training and some yelling, maybe games I'm sure
                          3. Go to Starbucks, Barnes & Noble, after they let us in the afternoon, study a few hours to avoid the drive back to Oceanside, then drive home.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Find out who your Oceanside PD recruits are. They get an unmarked PD ride to use during the academy. It used to be a minivan and there was plenty of room in it....you might be able to use that to your advantage for your commute as well as have some classmates close by to study with, compare notes, etc. If you are planning on staying in Oside it also doesnt hurt to be chummy with the locals.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Black Boots

                              I plan on wearing black combat boots, will that be OK?

                              I also have a black belt with velcro, exactly what the CHP officer's use, is that OK?

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 5696 users online. 314 members and 5382 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X