300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dui

what are some dui forgiving agencies in Southern California, it has been nearly 5 years now and have had a solid work history, credit, and college. I know this is a huge red flag but I stopped drinking after it occurred.

It is going to be a huge hurdle
    Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
    USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
    "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
    Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

Originally posted by J2H View Post
      It is going to be a huge hurdle
      I understand it’s an uphill battle. I just wanted insight from California LEs. I have siblings that are LEOs I’m just the only one that has this patch on my jacket and I want to find my own lane in the field. I understand the red flag this creates because personally every officer I have met drinks and there is a known correlation between the two as far as stress and and relief. I stopped after the fact and although I cannot compare being a rail road worker and a full time student enduring 18 hour days between work and school since my incident. I am in no manner trying to compare my lifestyle to one of an officers because I have seen first hand the rigors of it but I am saying that I learned how to enforce an adapative behavior in lieu of any maladaptive actions in the result of stress.

Comment

You've asked the question on several threads now. What is it that you want to hear, for all of us to tell you yes it's cool go ahead and apply, it'll be no problem. Well I'm here to tell you all agencies will frown on it, and depending how the DUI came about, the circumstance behind it will determine a lot. Like I said the rest of your character comes into play.

In some of your posts you seem like your trying to downplay the whole thing. Don't do that, don't make excuses just own it and that's it. It is not an automatic DQ in most agencies but 4 years in my opinion is not too much time removed. Remember the agency is the one who makes the determination, this job is not owed to anyone and they don't have to tell you why they DQ you. I've said it before you can have a clean record but come in acting like a a condescending, arrogant dude and you bet your BI will DQ you for interpersonal skills. Good luck!
        sigpic

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
        -George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by cruz0311 View Post
          You've asked the question on several threads now. What is it that you want to hear, for all of us to tell you yes it's cool go ahead and apply, it'll be no problem. Well I'm here to tell you all agencies will frown on it, and depending how the DUI came about, the circumstance behind it will determine a lot. Like I said the rest of your character comes into play.

In some of your posts you seem like your trying to downplay the whole thing. Don't do that, don't make excuses just own it and that's it. It is not an automatic DQ in most agencies but 4 years in my opinion is not too much time removed. Remember the agency is the one who makes the determination, this job is not owed to anyone and they don't have to tell you why they DQ you. I've said it before you can have a clean record but come in acting like a a condescending, arrogant dude and you bet your BI will DQ you for interpersonal skills. Good luck!
          Look man I appreciate the fact you have seen my multiple posts inquiring about my situation and have given me insight. I do not feel like this position is owed to me either, as I am not searching for accolades for doing the right thing for only 4 years. I am not down playing my situation either to any agency I may be in process for or anyone else. I don’t give exact details to my personal circumstances as this is not a realm for the dissection of my situation.

Comment

[QUOTE=Chipperjones22;n6587006]
            I don’t give exact details to my personal circumstances as this is not a realm for the dissection of my situation.[/QUOTE]

Actually, it is.

Without knowing the specific circumstances of your arrest and conviction, no one can give you a meaningful response. Absent relevant facts, that response will more than likely include opinions and conclusions you do not want to hear. In such a case, all you are going to get is, that a DUI conviction within the time frame you listed is going to be a difficult hurdle to overcome. It begs the issue of negligent hiring, which could place whoever employs you in a position of civil liability that might be difficult to defend against. Such a conviction suggests you lack the
            general qualifications of sobriety, dependability, and good judgment, all of which are minimum requirements for the position of a peace officer, making you a DQ.

As others have said, when people post the same question over and over, its because they haven't gotten the answer they want and they're hoping someone will come along and say what they want to hear. That's not going to happen here. Apply where you want to work, lay your cards on the table and what will be, will be. If you get DQed at several different agencies, you'll know your DUI has knocked you out of the ballgame for a few years.

FWIW, my agency hired an officer with two DUI convictions, the oldest being five years past. She did OK, but then got popped again for DUI by a neighboring agency while she was off duty driving her unmarked take home. She knew how the game was played and tried to delay the BAC by hitting her head on the door frame as they put her in the back seat of the black & white for transport, and demanded immediate medical treatment. It was obvious what she was doing and the matter became a huge embarrassment to our department.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
              [QUOTE=Chipperjones22;n6587006]
              I don’t give exact details to my personal circumstances as this is not a realm for the dissection of my situation.

Actually, it is.

Without knowing the specific circumstances of your arrest and conviction, no one can give you a meaningful response. Absent relevant facts, that response will more than likely include opinions and conclusions you do not want to hear. In such a case, all you are going to get is, that a DUI conviction within the time frame you listed is going to be a difficult hurdle to overcome. It begs the issue of negligent hiring, which could place whoever employs you in a position of civil liability that might be difficult to defend against. Such a conviction suggests you lack the
              general qualifications of sobriety, dependability, and good judgment, all of which are minimum requirements for the position of a peace officer, making you a DQ.

As others have said, when people post the same question over and over, its because they haven't gotten the answer they want and they're hoping someone will come along and say what they want to hear. That's not going to happen here. Apply where you want to work, lay your cards on the table and what will be, will be. If you get DQed at several different agencies, you'll know your DUI has knocked you out of the ballgame for a few years.

FWIW, my agency hired an officer with two DUI convictions, the oldest being five years past. She did OK, but then got popped again for DUI by a neighboring agency while she was off duty driving her unmarked take home. She knew how the game was played and tried to delay the BAC by hitting her head on the door frame as they put her in the back seat of the black & white for transport, and demanded immediate medical treatment. It was obvious what she was doing and the matter became a huge embarrassment to our department.

[/QUOTE]

I understand the liability it can facilitate especially with the negative press certain agencies get with off duty officer’s actions. In regard to the bruising of your agencies reputation for the hiring of an individual, a first time offender could have pulled the same maneuver. As what I do know it is a by case basis. A first time LEO offender could have done the same in lieu of the charge.

For specifics on me it was August 12, 2013 and I had gotten out of work early, I had just turned 23 and did start drinking alcohol until I was 22. I was a late bloomer and never really partied, I lived with my parents and they had my newborn brother. I have young parents for the record so I would be respectful of what time I would come home. I got out of work early and went to eat with some co workers, I had a date lined up after work. I started experimenting with craft beers and crossed my limit and ultimately had 5 in a three hour window. When it came time to depart I need gas and pulled off the free way into a neighborhood that I was familiar with but questionable. My vehicle was honestly questionable for the area as it was a brand new dodge with tinted windows. When I was pulled over I was told for the windows and the situation escalated.

Comment

I haven't followed your previous posts, but what are you actually asking? Just start applying. You don't have to convince anyone on here that you've changed. It doesn't matter what we think. The only people you have to convince are those who are responsible for hiring decisions at whatever agencies for which you apply. The worst they can say is no. If you keep getting negative results, wait awhile and try again.

/thread

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8371 users online. 451 members and 7920 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X