X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mdrdep
    replied
    Originally posted by EMVAMPYRE View Post
    Hey brother, I've been working too friggin much the past year and too lazy! Hope all is well in your RD...
    I know what you mean. The only reason I've been so active is I've been without a trainee for the past 2 months so they've had me working the desk.

You're still Region I right? You got a good chief, he was my station captain years ago.......

Leave a comment:

• EMVAMPYRE
    replied
    Originally posted by mdrdep View Post
    Part of that is money conservation and part of it is we are almost at capacity for deputy positions
    My region's chief was in last night and he was giving us some department wide numbers. We are only a couple hundred shy of our maximum and have academy's planned.

I've been making the rounds of a couple of custody facilities and the only deputies I found that have been waiting 4-5 years to go to patrol are those who are waiting to go to stations like Pico Rivera, Walnut, San Dimas, Norwalk, and other eastern county stations. Theses stations traditionaly have very slow movement. The deputies who go there, stay there since they live in the "Far East" of LA County as well as Riverside and San Bernadino counties. The other deputies who have spent extended time in custody are ones who have extended, or jumped around the "wish lists". Deputies that want to go out to patrol quicker know which patrol stations take large numbers of deputies per patrol school list traditionaly.

What's a "priority date"? Not real familiar with that term...
    Last edited by EMVAMPYRE; 10-23-2009, 01:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• EMVAMPYRE
    replied
    Originally posted by mdrdep View Post
    **off topic**

EmVamp, where you been bro? Haven't seen you around here in a while.
    Hey brother, I've been working too friggin much the past year and too lazy! Hope all is well in your RD...

Leave a comment:

• mdrdep
    replied
    The academy is not shut down, they are only running one class at a time however. That's all most academies do, it's just not typical of us because we can run up to 5 classes at a time because of our large facilities. Patrol lists every 4 to 5 months is average during slow times because those lists are tied to academy graduations.

A freeze means no movement no hiring. Believe it or not the county is actually in decent shape financially, unlike the city they planned for this rainy day. We haven't taken any cuts like a lot of other places have. The only difference is we have slowed way down on hiring. Part of that is money conservation and part of it is we are almost at capacity for deputy positions

Leave a comment:

• Compton Cowboy
    replied
    Originally posted by EMVAMPYRE View Post
    Um, not so much anymore...2 years, depending on the stations you choose, is the average time. We are not on a "freeze" like we were back in the early '90's nor are we expected to have one quite so soon. We have a trainee with just over 1 year at my station now.
    My brother is a LASD Deputy and he tells me that there are guys that have priority dates, dating back to 2006. Despite what people may say there is going to be a freeze, when you close all of your academy classes and put a patrol list once every 4 to 5 months, what would you like to call it then? This freeze that I am referring to was verified by several Sergeants at his unit of assignment. As for the trainee that's at your station, sometimes knowing people in high places has it's way of getting you out of custody a bit faster.

Leave a comment:

• mdrdep
    replied
    **off topic**

EmVamp, where you been bro? Haven't seen you around here in a while.

Leave a comment:

• EMVAMPYRE
    replied
    Originally posted by Compton Cowboy View Post
    From what I heard within the LASD it's going to be around 5 to 6 years before Deputy's will be going out to patrol depending on your station choice. With the economy and a lack of retirements those that are in custody assignments must wait for those that are patrolling to retire, transfer/ promote to another unit of assignment.
    Um, not so much anymore...2 years, depending on the stations you choose, is the average time. We are not on a "freeze" like we were back in the early '90's nor are we expected to have one quite so soon. We have a trainee with just over 1 year at my station now.

Leave a comment:

• LASD6833
    replied
    That list of firearms is current.

Leave a comment:

• Compton Cowboy
    replied
    From what I heard within the LASD it's going to be around 5 to 6 years before Deputy's will be going out to patrol depending on your station choice. With the economy and a lack of retirements those that are in custody assignments must wait for those that are patrolling to retire, transfer/ promote to another unit of assignment.

Leave a comment:

• LA DEP
    replied
    Anything that is approved for duty use can also be carried off duty.....as long as you have been through the class(es) for that weapon and you have qualified with it

Leave a comment:

• DOAcop38
    replied
    try the "cheapo" semi auto options,like the S&W 908 or 910( have both),still small enough to slide into your pockets,and not much heavier than a model 36 snubbie

Leave a comment:

• EMVAMPYRE
    replied
    Remember when you are talking about backup guns, the thought here is light and comfortable. This gun is going to be in a pocket, front or back, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week (Let's not get in to 4/10 or 3/12 schedules) and you need to live with it. Most deputies I know found the small Smith&Wesson J frames to be the easiest guns to carry and live with. The 640 is the most popular especially the aluminium and scandium frames ones. I tried carrying my H&K P7M8 for a while and though it is nice and flat, it is heavy. The Smith autos like the 3913 or the double stack 6906 were a bit boxy and just kinda uncomfortable to carry.

Also, these guns are your basic hold out "belly guns" for last resort. According to weapons training guys I talk to, there have been less than 10 shootings by deputies on duty with their back up guns, and the majority of those were contact or near contact shots. Most of these shootings were 1 or 2 shot hits, so a 5 shot revolver is right at home here. And like hbliam said above, if you can pull the trigger, the revolver will go bang. Autos just attract dust and pocket lint, gumming up the slide.
    Last edited by EMVAMPYRE; 04-26-2007, 11:13 AM. Reason: Left out entry

Leave a comment:

• hbliam
    replied
    Originally posted by sig fan View Post
    I guess my question now is, Does anyone on LASD carry anything other than a revolver for backup? (I'm not talking about off-duty)

On training I wouldn't use/carry/ask to use ANYTHING extra or different. It makes you look like you think you are special.

Many guys carry a revolver for a backup for one reason. They know it will work. You may go for your backup if your duty weapon stovepipes or jams and you can't clear it. Revolvers don't stovepipe and 99.99999% of the time don't jam. You pull the trigger and they go boom.

Leave a comment:

• Five-0fromSoCal
    replied
    I guess my question now is, Does anyone on LASD carry anything other than a revolver for backup? (I'm not talking about off-duty)

You can carry two HK's or two Beretta's if you want. Whatever you can fit in your pocket.

Leave a comment:

• grey myst
    replied
    So basically you're telling me that you can't carry an auto as a backup? (No Glock, no Kahr, no Keltec?) What about the S&W mp series guns? Full-size and sub-compact?

Another question(or two)
    As you probably have guessed I am not currently with LASD, but I am applying with them. I was wondering, when can you first start carrying a non-issued on-duty sidearm? If I went through my probationary period with an FTO and carried an H&K, would I get a lot of grief about not carrying the issue Beretta 92?
    I just want to carry a .45. That's all. (hmm...I guess that would make me a gunslinger)
    The b/u is not to be exposed. I can make my p2000 (not just sk) fit into the front pockets of my class A pants. It prints, but it's "concealed." Bear in mind that the p2000 and USPc .45 are about the same size. You could probably get away with that during training and still use the 92fs as your primary. Hope that helps, gunslinger...

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4395 users online. 253 members and 4142 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X