300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sig fan
    What about carrying a .45 off-duty? I wouldn't think you would really want to carry the H&K off-duty.
    The HK .45c is authorized too. I think once you're qual'd with either .45f/.45c, you're good with the other.

Comment

What about carrying a .45 off-duty? I wouldn't think you would really want to carry the H&K off-duty.

It's a big gun. But I dont have any problem shoving the uspf into my waist any more than I have with a 229 i carry.

i'm 6'2 though. My partner is 5'8 and has a uspf, and carries it off duty too.
      Get low, get ground, get tactical! Sprawl! Sprawl! Sprawl!

Comment

I carry the USP .45 on duty and want a USP Compact .45 for off duty. They aren't that large and cumbersome compared to say a S&W 6906. I carry an H&K P7 M8 off duty and love it.

I do hate seeing LA County Police officers carrying .40 S&W Glocks while we are issuing Beretta 92F's. According to the guys at BC, "we" will probably never see the day when deputies are issued Glocks. (By "we", I mean deputies with 10 years or less to go till retirement) It all has to do with the cost of training, as well as the deal we have set up with Beretta. They did say that there is a chance that academy classes in the next year or two might be issued Glocks, but the department has no plans on doing conversion classes like they did with the .45's.
        Carpe Noctem

Comment

Does anyone know what guns are approved for backup and off-duty carry by LASD? If you carry something that's not on the approved list, and are involved in a shooting (nothing goes "wrong" with your gun and you don't shoot any bystanders), how much trouble would you be in?

Comment

Does anyone know what guns are approved for backup and off-duty carry by LASD? If you carry something that's not on the approved list, and are involved in a shooting (nothing goes "wrong" with your gun and you don't shoot any bystanders), how much trouble would you be in?
            Deputies can carry any of the Smith&Wesson compact 9mm or .45ACP autos, the Beretta 8000 .45ACP, the H&K USP .45ACP compact, P7M8/13 or P9S, and the Ruger P series 9mm or .45ACP for off duty or back up. Any .38Spl revolver from Smith&Wesson, Colt or Ruger may be carried as back up or off duty.

Of course, deputies must take an off duty weapons class for each different make and model they plan to carry off duty or as a back up. The deputies that went through the academy with revolvers do not need to take a class for the revolvers.

If you get in a shooting that is within department policies and ruled legal and justified with a firearm that is authorized for use, but the deputy is not trained on, you are looking at some days off. How many, I don't know. Sadly this is up to that deputies Region Chief and the discpline review board. It could range from a written reprimand to full out termination from the department.
            Carpe Noctem

Comment

Originally posted by EMVAMPYRE
              Deputies can carry any of the Smith&Wesson compact 9mm or .45ACP autos, the Beretta 8000 .45ACP, the H&K USP .45ACP compact, P7M8/13 or P9S, and the Ruger P series 9mm or .45ACP for off duty or back up. Any .38Spl revolver from Smith&Wesson, Colt or Ruger may be carried as back up or off duty.

Of course, deputies must take an off duty weapons class for each different make and model they plan to carry off duty or as a back up. The deputies that went through the academy with revolvers do not need to take a class for the revolvers.

If you get in a shooting that is within department policies and ruled legal and justified with a firearm that is authorized for use, but the deputy is not trained on, you are looking at some days off. How many, I don't know. Sadly this is up to that deputies Region Chief and the discpline review board. It could range from a written reprimand to full out termination from the department.
              To add to this. The HK P2000 and P2000SK.

Comment

Originally posted by EMVAMPYRE

Don't forget the HK p2000/P2000sk for back-up/off-duty....

....5-0 beat me to it.

Comment

And I forgot it, just days after I shot both of those guns!
                  Carpe Noctem

Comment

Originally posted by EMVAMPYRE View Post

So basically you're telling me that you can't carry an auto as a backup? (No Glock, no Kahr, no Keltec?) What about the S&W mp series guns? Full-size and sub-compact?

Another question(or two)
                    As you probably have guessed I am not currently with LASD, but I am applying with them. I was wondering, when can you first start carrying a non-issued on-duty sidearm? If I went through my probationary period with an FTO and carried an H&K, would I get a lot of grief about not carrying the issue Beretta 92?
                    Last edited by sig fan; 04-25-2007, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sig fan View Post
                      So basically you're telling me that you can't carry an auto as a backup? (No Glock, no Kahr, no Keltec?) What about the S&W mp series guns? Full-size and sub-compact?

Another question(or two)
                      As you probably have guessed I am not currently with LASD, but I am applying with them. I was wondering, when can you first start carrying a non-issued on-duty sidearm? If I went through my probationary period with an FTO and carried an H&K, would I get a lot of grief about not carrying the issue Beretta 92?
                      You can't carry any of the autos you mentioned anytime and stay within policy. Any gun authorized for back up can be carried off-duty and vice versa.

2) You can carry any non-issued on-duty weapon as soon as you take the class and quailfy with it.

About carrying that HK on training...best to ask your TO, "gunslinger."

Comment

Another question(or two)
                        Like grey mist said, any authorized auto can be carried as a back-up as long as you have taken the class for it.

Again, as to wearing the H&K first day on training, ask your FTO. Personally, I don't care if my trainees carry something other than the issues 92FS. I feel it comes down to officer safety and weapon familiarity, and if the trainee is comfortable with, and can qualify with the H&K (which, by the way, I carry), then go for it. However, there are a bunch of guys out there who would see this as the trainee being "salty".
                        Carpe Noctem

Comment

none of those guns you mentioned are allowed. no S&W MP... probably the p2000sk is the smallest auto you can carry.

you probably won't be carrying during your probationary period out of the academy cuz you'll be in the jails (unless they have a new policy allowing you to be armed in the jails )...

beretta,ruger,HK, s&w are the only gun companies allowed...

Comment

I guess my question now is, Does anyone on LASD carry anything other than a revolver for backup? (I'm not talking about off-duty)

Comment

Originally posted by grey myst View Post
                              About carrying that HK on training...best to ask your TO, "gunslinger."
                              I just want to carry a .45. That's all. (hmm...I guess that would make me a gunslinger)

Comment

Another question(or two)
                                I just want to carry a .45. That's all. (hmm...I guess that would make me a gunslinger)
                                The b/u is not to be exposed. I can make my p2000 (not just sk) fit into the front pockets of my class A pants. It prints, but it's "concealed." Bear in mind that the p2000 and USPc .45 are about the same size. You could probably get away with that during training and still use the 92fs as your primary. Hope that helps, gunslinger...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3440 users online. 215 members and 3225 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X