Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LASD approved sidearms

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • LASD approved sidearms

    Can anyone here tell me (or provide with a link where I can find out) what sidearms are approved for carry by LASD? (Especially, what .45s are approved.)

  • #2
    Originally posted by sig fan
    Can anyone here tell me (or provide with a link where I can find out) what sidearms are approved for carry by LASD? (Especially, what .45s are approved.)

    .45s??? HK, S&W, I believe Beretta Cougar and may be Ruger. I think that's it...

    no .40s

    9mms, only HK P2000 and issued Beretta 92fs

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by grey myst
      .45s??? HK, S&W, I believe Beretta Cougar and may be Ruger. I think that's it...

      no .40s

      9mms, only HK P2000 and issued Beretta 92fs
      HK in .45? expensive,but nice gun-i don't think beretta still makes the cougar line(although they have alot still out there for sell and service them) I carry one in .45 for plain clothes and off duty,but it feels small for regular patrol( still a good and accurate gun).Ruger???? it "works" and is cheaper than the others,but then again,would n't it be simpler to just go GLOCK like the County OPS PD-somehow I bet the LASD has a lot of beretta 92 FS in stock to issue to new deputies.The .40 cal rd is what I like best as its got the performance of the 9mm ( penetration) and is popular man stopper which reaches the performance of the .45. currently LAPD is issuing all GLOCK 22s(.40 cal) and it will soon be an issue for all the city of LA depts
      "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by DOAcop38
        HK in .45? expensive,but nice gun-i don't think beretta still makes the cougar line(although they have alot still out there for sell and service them) I carry one in .45 for plain clothes and off duty,but it feels small for regular patrol( still a good and accurate gun).Ruger???? it "works" and is cheaper than the others,but then again,would n't it be simpler to just go GLOCK like the County OPS PD-somehow I bet the LASD has a lot of beretta 92 FS in stock to issue to new deputies.The .40 cal rd is what I like best as its got the performance of the 9mm ( penetration) and is popular man stopper which reaches the performance of the .45. currently LAPD is issuing all GLOCK 22s(.40 cal) and it will soon be an issue for all the city of LA depts
        I too think the cougar line is defunct, but from what I know it's still authorized. Heck, the HK P7 is still authorized for off duty. Even the HK P9 is still on the list. I don't even remember when they stopped making those. Wasn't it sometime back in the 80's.

        Glocks are not my first choice, but I wouldn't mind being issued one. Plus, I'm with you on the idea of simpler.

        You don't think that LA Port is gonna hold on to the SIG's?

        Comment


        • #5
          Any idea why LASD doesn't approve any .40s?
          What do they have against Glocks?
          Last edited by sig fan; 03-29-2007, 07:34 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by grey myst
            Glocks are not my first choice, but I wouldn't mind being issued one. Plus, I'm with you on the idea of simpler.

            You don't think that LA Port is gonna hold on to the SIG's?

            GLOCKS for the city of L.A.are a natural choice- takes alot of abuse ("trunk monkey" factor) and are cheap as all get up when bought in bulk-which is why the city stuck with Beretta for so long also in contract sales.Its funny that LASD wouldn't go that way as the choices they have for optional duty and off duty are EXPENSIVE,and most deputies I know carry their duty berettas or 2" S&W or beretta compact variants.As for L.A. Ports ? They went for the Sig PRO and it works for them,although a few officers there complain that its the "cheaper" of the Sig line(Sigs are good guns,but you can buy 2 GLOCK 22s for the price of a sig 229/221).The Ports,like Airports ,have tons of $$$ to buy what they want ,but I still think they'll simply go the cheap and safe way and load up on GLOCK 22s sooner or later.Rt now there is a big push for uniformity in policing( training,equipping,communications) for LAPD and the cities smaller PDs
            "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by sig fan
              Any idea why LASD doesn't approve any .40s?
              What do they have against Glocks?

              Very good question-seeing as the "B" team went for them -LACOPS- would make sense to get alot on contract sales.and as far as the .40 cal ,performs better than the 9mm and .45 cal rds in certain instances(better penetraton than the .45,more shock delivery than the 9mm) maybe its the recoil and "Kb" controversy....
              "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by sig fan
                Any idea why LASD doesn't approve any .40s?
                What do they have against Glocks?

                I think its because it doesn't have a decocker. I like my HK better though.

                Comment


                • #9
                  no glocks because you need to pull the trigger to take it apart.
                  no .40s because it's the middle of a 9 and .45

                  coming from weapons training unit... that i talked to
                  LASD is restrictive. hk p2000 DAO is the best way to go. if only i had the money. at least LASD sells 9mm,.45,and .38, and 12g auge ammo for cheap.
                  Last edited by ask80; 03-30-2007, 02:23 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ask80
                    hk p2000 DAO is the best way to go.
                    I like my Wilson CQB 1911.

                    http://www.wilsoncombat.com/p_cqb_tlr.asp

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by hbliam

                      I like your Wilson too. But I'm happy with my HK...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        yes i do like 1911's, but they're not allowed with LASD. no cocked and locked carry.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ask80
                          yes i do like 1911's, but they're not allowed with LASD. no cocked and locked carry.

                          True -even SEB (LASD SWAT team) carry the Beretta 92 FS compared to LAPDs METRO "D' platoon and their Kimber 1911s.Heck ,as long as it WORKS when you point and fire,who cares .......
                          "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            yea LASD is quite restrictive. I know North Orange County SWAT carries 1911 cocked and locked on patrol too... geeezzz

                            sheesh who carries a ruger or beretta cougar anyways?
                            and they are even selective on what kind of HK USP or P2000 you can carry...also only certain holsters are approved ( like 4 or 5 kinds) .

                            the WTU sgt said cocked and locked is "unsafe"
                            firearms requiring you to pull the trigger to take it apart (ie. glocks) are "unsafe" due so some incident that occurred at BC range... he said an officer from another agency discharge his weapon accidentally to take it apart...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ask80
                              yea LASD is quite restrictive. I know North Orange County SWAT carries 1911 cocked and locked on patrol too... geeezzz

                              sheesh who carries a ruger or beretta cougar anyways?
                              and they are even selective on what kind of HK USP or P2000 you can carry...also only certain holsters are approved ( like 4 or 5 kinds) .

                              the WTU sgt said cocked and locked is "unsafe"
                              firearms requiring you to pull the trigger to take it apart (ie. glocks) are "unsafe" due so some incident that occurred at BC range... he said an officer from another agency discharge his weapon accidentally to take it apart...

                              Big difference prior to 2000, when everyone had to carry 92F's. Nice gun, but we had no option. LAPD was the same. So the options we have now are a big change. Funny, I dont think LAPD lets their guys carry a HK USP 45.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 4076 users online. 286 members and 3790 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X