X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nausicaa66
    Forum Member
    • Oct 2017

Can a victim of rape or sexual assault become an officer

I am really hoping that I would not be disqualified for a job with my local police department because of the actions of somebody else. Does it hurt my chances of getting a job if I was a victim of sexual assult or rape?
  • Dt1911
    Forum Member
    • Jan 2016

I don't think that's a disqualifier. However, it may affect you when you get to your psych evaluation. They will ask about any traumatic experiences and what type of counseling/medications you may have had and will decide if you're mentally suitable for the job or not. I don't think your BI will have any issues unless it was something you did that was irresponsible or unethical.

Comment

• RGDS
      Forum Member
      • Sep 2009

No. That is not a disqualifier. Of course, if you have on going psych issues (like fears of large crowds, fears of the dark, can’t go outside, can’t sleep... that kinda stuff) then you will have an issue.

and don’t forget about criminal defense attorneys who will use this event against you.
      semper destravit

Comment

• Nausicaa66
        Nausicaa66 commented
        Editing a comment
        Why would they use that against me?

• RGDS
        RGDS commented
        Editing a comment
        Anything to get their client off.
    • aspiring_fed
      Forum Member
      • Jun 2014

Being a victim of sexual assault should not, by itself, DQ you from becoming a cop. That said (as others have mentioned), you must pass thorough psychological screening. Do you have any psychological issues resulting from the assault(s)? Would you be able to fairly and objectively investigate allegations of sexual assault? Would you be able to arrest a suspect of a sexual assault and treat him/her fairly and justly? You don't have to answer those questions here, but you need to be honest with yourself before applying. You also need to be honest during the whole process.

If you think you can become a cop and do every aspect of the job without the sexual assault(s) negatively impacting you on the job, go for it. I know for a fact victims of sexual assault can and do become cops.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17730 users online. 40 members and 17690 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...