300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ventura County Sheriff's Dept. Hiring process question

The on-line application has been submitted and the date for the written test and the PAT (if the written is past) has been set. I have little to no worry as to passing these two tests, my worries come a little later on.

From everything I have read, once you get passed the point of these tests and you reach the "In-Depth Background Investigation" which I assume is the packet everyone talks about where you basically write your whole life and answer every little question they ask. From there you move onto the Polygraph.

My question lies within those two portions: In-Depth Background & Polygraph

The only offenses I have every committed in my life were I have tried marijuana twice. I did not smoke very much (although I figure that doesn't matter), I did not buy nor sell it, nor did I do anything 'else' illegal while I tried it. (like drive a car, etc...)

Both of these times are within the last 3 years. I am not a serial user, and I do not plan on using it again. (I didn't like it, but that's besides the point).

If I am very open, upfront, and honest about those two situations during the Background & polygraph, does this mean that I will be disqualified?

My second question: Does having an Associates Degree, Associates - Transfer Degree, and a Bachelor's Degree, help make me a better candidate for employment?

Thanks in advance for your answers, I appreciate it.
    Last edited by JDAnon456; 10-11-2017, 10:20 AM.

The marijuana use might hurt you. That's always up to the department. As far as college, nowadays everyone has college. It doesn't make you stand out above the rest. It's good you have it shows that you finish what you start. It will help with getting paid more, either starting out or latter on when hired. You can put in for your intermediate advanced POST certificates faster than non degree holders.

question though what's a transfer degree??? I've only heard of associates, bachelors, masters and doctorate degrees.
    I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Originally posted by JDAnon456 View Post
      The only offenses I have every committed in my life were I have tried marijuana twice. I did not smoke very much (although I figure that doesn't matter), I did not buy nor sell it, nor did I do anything 'else' illegal while I tried it. (like drive a car, etc...)
      Meh. Nobody is going to care about 2x marijuana uses, 3 years ago.

If I am very open, upfront, and honest about those two situations during the Background & polygraph, does this mean that I will be disqualified?
      Lol no.

My second question: Does having an Associates Degree, Associates - Transfer Degree, and a Bachelor's Degree, help make me a better candidate for employment?
      Um, yeah, I suppose.
      Other officer: Oh that's right, I forgot, you're God's gift to police work.
      Me: At least someone recognizes it.

Turns out basic police work isn't so hard, you just have to leave the station.

Comment

Originally posted by moparfan View Post
        question though what's a transfer degree??? I've only heard of associates, bachelors, masters and doctorate degrees.
        So when youre transferring colleges you can get a typical AA degree (Associates) but if you already know what your primary major is going to be you can get an Associates of Transfer. Basically allows you to skip some of the General Education crap and take more higher level classes toward your major for when you transfer to your 4 year degree.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8217 users online. 444 members and 7773 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X