Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have 2 years on the job. And no, I'm not chasing the salary because if that was the case, I would apply to Beverly Hills PD or Santa Monica PD instead. I love LAPD and the division that I'm at, but I have my personal family reasons that I have to handle, but I could see from an outside perspective that I'm chasing the salary. And I actually only applied to one Bay Area dept up north, and that is my home city's dept, and their salary is only 6,500 a month, just in case if you're curious also lol. I'm trying to go to a dept where there is a family atmosphere, and where I'm more than just a serial No.

LAPD salary is low compare to majority of socal depts, and what makes it even worse is how we're cutting back on OT and we have to rush our police work so we can get out on time or else the W/C will get on our cases for going into OT.

Comment

But I do mean that with all due respect sir, even though I'm sure the message of my content makes it sounds like I'm just chasing the salary. So please don't take my message the wrong way, if it came off like that.

Comment

Bay Area home prices are more than LA home prices, don't kid yourself. You won't be able to afford a home in any city that you work in. You will be commuting unless you are naturally wealthy.

Comment

Bay Area Median cost of housing:$850K. Rent:$3K if you don't want to commute 100 miles.
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Rent is more like $2500 but still expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Legion90 View Post
              I have 2 years on the job. And no, I'm not chasing the salary because if that was the case, I would apply to Beverly Hills PD or Santa Monica PD instead. I love LAPD and the division that I'm at, but I have my personal family reasons that I have to handle, but I could see from an outside perspective that I'm chasing the salary. And I actually only applied to one Bay Area dept up north, and that is my home city's dept, and their salary is only 6,500 a month, just in case if you're curious also lol. I'm trying to go to a dept where there is a family atmosphere, and where I'm more than just a serial No.

LAPD salary is low compare to majority of socal depts, and what makes it even worse is how we're cutting back on OT and we have to rush our police work so we can get out on time or else the W/C will get on our cases for going into OT.
              yes your salary does suck with 2 years on, give it time and it will build. You can never live on OT. Many of the old timers here and on the job will tell you that. OT is fun money ie vacation, but down or paid in full new toy be it motorcycle, truck, gun, rv or what ever. I'm not LAPD, I'm just a deputy, but I have friends and family that are LAPD.

So if you didn't want to work LAPD, seeing what the salary is and benefits along with commute times and housing why apply for it? Just curious. I get family reasons, no need to explain that. But you seriously have to look at all of the factors in moving and what a department has to offer career wise. Small departments at times have advatanges of the big boys of LASD or LAPD.

Just make sure you do your research fully before leaving, do some rides, get to know guys up there, dor the true details of the department and city your work in. For everyone one person who's left their department for another loves their decision BUT there is also one who hates it. Best of luck
              I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Originally posted by Yo_CO View Post
                Rent is more like $2500 but still expensive.
                Median rent in SF BA: $3600/mo. SF: $4600/mo.
                Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I rented a one bedroom guest house/shack in Campbell. $3100/mo, no washer/dryer....only reason it wasn't $4k/mo was because I had a friend of a friend discount and agreed to handle some small landscaping duties. Bay Area is overpriced and overpopulated.
                  point am i clear?

Comment

Originally posted by moparfan View Post

yes your salary does suck with 2 years on, give it time and it will build. You can never live on OT. Many of the old timers here and on the job will tell you that. OT is fun money ie vacation, but down or paid in full new toy be it motorcycle, truck, gun, rv or what ever. I'm not LAPD, I'm just a deputy, but I have friends and family that are LAPD.

So if you didn't want to work LAPD, seeing what the salary is and benefits along with commute times and housing why apply for it? Just curious. I get family reasons, no need to explain that. But you seriously have to look at all of the factors in moving and what a department has to offer career wise. Small departments at times have advatanges of the big boys of LASD or LAPD.

Just make sure you do your research fully before leaving, do some rides, get to know guys up there, dor the true details of the department and city your work in. For everyone one person who's left their department for another loves their decision BUT there is also one who hates it. Best of luck
                    I accepted LAPD first because they offered me the expedited process, and was the first to offered me. Don't get me wrong, I love my job, the dept and my station, but the main reason why I'm coming back home is because for family. I have family emergencies and my family needs me. And I do appreciate the advice, and I've done a lot of researches and everything, but ultimately, family above everyone and everything else.

And yeah, I know rent sucks in the Bay, I used to live on my own when I was working and living up there. I will most likely stay at home for a bit and will use that chance to save up.

Comment

To find all agencies in the bay area go here https://post.ca.gov/law-enforcement-...tatistics.aspx click on the statistics. It breaks it down by county so you can easily see who's where.
                      I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Awesome! Thank you Moparfan! Appreciate it.

Comment

Santa Clara PD is probably the highest paid in the Peninsula. They are actively recruiting. PM me if you want some 411 on agencies up here hiring.

Comment

Apply as a lateral with my Department, we have quite a few former LAPD guys with us, including our current chief and a former chief.

We are known as LAPD Northern Command. It will be comparable to what you experienced with LA, we have a lot of job assignments and promotional opportunities being that we are the largest municipal department in Northern CA.

You'll fit right in with us.

Comment

• RGDS
                              RGDS commented
                              Editing a comment
                              A former chief? Don't you mean the current DA... I mean Assistant Public Defender?

Originally posted by CA Cop View Post
                            Apply as a lateral with my Department, we have quite a few former LAPD guys with us, including our current chief and a former chief.

We are known as LAPD Northern Command. It will be comparable to what you experienced with LA, we have a lot of job assignments and promotional opportunities being that we are the largest municipal department in Northern CA.

You'll fit right in with us.
                            Sounds good! I PM you.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8023 users online. 424 members and 7599 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X