300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is LB port becoming its own agency?

I see postings for Port of Long Beach police officer but it links to the LBPD hiring page?

All of the links on the ports take you to the Long Beach HR site. I doubt they will become fully sworn cops on and off duty. Saw a few of them when I was in the academy. They got take home rides for the academy.
    I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Originally posted by moparfan View Post
      All of the links on the ports take you to the Long Beach HR site. I doubt they will become fully sworn cops on and off duty. Saw a few of them when I was in the academy. They got take home rides for the academy.
      Right it would still be City of LB that hires them like LA port police are seperate from LAPD. Usually port has been patrolled by their special services officers (non sworn security). I know LBPD started assigning officers to a new "port division" just wondering if they were going to seperate from LBPD like LA port PD are seperate from LAPD

Comment

Yeah I saw that on the Ports website, the co-op deal. I don't see why they would send their guys to an academy to be essentially either level 1 reserve or fully sworn to make them sworn security. Makes sense just to have them as a fully functional police department and be done with it. But I guess it's all politics.

i know USC sends their guys to LAPD's academy. When they get out they are just well trained securiry. Now I know that's legislation that has to deal with private college having a police department, but I think it's a waste of money to send folks through a police academy just to A) make them security and B) have them leave to a police or sheriff department.
        Last edited by moparfan; 07-22-2017, 11:16 PM.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Originally posted by moparfan View Post
          Yeah I saw that on the Ports website, the co-op deal. I don't see why they would send their guys to an academy to be essentially either level 1 reserve or fully sworn to make them sworn security. Makes sense just to have them as a fully functional police department and be done with it. But I guess it's all politics.

i know USC sends their guys to LAPD's academy. When they get out they are just well trained securiry. Now I know that's legislation that has to deal with private college having a police department, but I think it's a waste of money to send folks through a police academy just to A) make them security and B) have them leave to a police or sheriff department.
          I saw that they pushed for the bill to become sworn level 1 reserves and it passed BUT they(USC) still require guard cards. That boggles my mind.. From what I saw in the video of their Chief and Capt, they claimed that they wanted LE status because BSIS does not allow long guns. They do start out at $32 an hour which is nice, security or not.
          Last edited by dvon714; 07-23-2017, 02:13 AM. Reason: Forgot to include the dept I was talking about

Comment

Originally posted by dvon714 View Post

I saw that they pushed for the bill to become sworn level 1 reserves and it passed BUT they(USC) still require guard cards. That boggles my mind.. From what I saw in the video of their Chief and Capt, they claimed that they wanted LE status because BSIS does not allow long guns. They do start out at $32 an hour which is nice, security or not.
            Wait USC guys are reserves now? For who, LAPD? I know theyve had an MOU with them allowing them to cite and do minor police powers. Thats why they go thru LAPD academy.

Comment

Originally posted by urbancommando View Post

Wait USC guys are reserves now? For who, LAPD? I know theyve had an MOU with them allowing them to cite and do minor police powers. Thats why they go thru LAPD academy.
              I'm not sure if they've been sworn in yet but a bill passed 6 or so months ago granting security officers with private universities full level 1 reserve officer status IF they can fulfil the POST standards for L1 Reserve. They will be sworn reserves through LAPD but employed by USC. USC was the school that pushed this because the CPC did not allow private universities to establish their own PD. USC has had an MOU with LAPD to cite for misd and petty crimes but this is the real deal. They can even burn red and blues as well.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...01520160AB2361

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SCEOHAYU9M

Comment

Originally posted by dvon714 View Post

I'm not sure if they've been sworn in yet but a bill passed 6 or so months ago granting security officers with private universities full level 1 reserve officer status IF they can fulfil the POST standards for L1 Reserve. They will be sworn reserves through LAPD but employed by USC. USC was the school that pushed this because the CPC did not allow private universities to establish their own PD. USC has had an MOU with LAPD to cite for misd and petty crimes but this is the real deal. They can even burn red and blues as well.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...01520160AB2361

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SCEOHAYU9M
                Thats crazy i had no idea, i know some reps have tried to make it so all schools and uni have police forces so this is a step in the right direction. I wonder how many private colleges will do it? Also being private can they qualify for federal grants?

Comment

Remember: they MUST have an MOU with the LE Agency. That's a huge stopper right there for all the privates. Not to mention CoC, liability, etc.
                  Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                    Remember: they MUST have an MOU with the LE Agency. That's a huge stopper right there for all the privates. Not to mention CoC, liability, etc.
                    That raises another question if LAPD says no but LASD says yes can they do it? Like if USC is in LAPD jurisdication does LAPD have the final say?

Comment

Yes. The SO has overall LE authority for the entire county, to include cities.

Comment

I wonder if the private university's have to have the MOU with the police or if they can get it with the Sheriff department? For example say LAPD said no could USC set it up with LASD?

as far the Long Beach port those guys should be no different than LA Port PD and San Diego Harbor Patrol

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                          Yes. The SO has overall LE authority for the entire county, to include cities.
                          Hmm be interesting to see which colleges go sworn, i know the Coast colleges in OC have submitted paperwork to go sworn but the admin is dragging its feet. I think anti police admins will br a bigger hurdle than the SO or Chiefs

Comment

There's a lot of pieces to figure out...

Comment

Originally posted by urbancommando View Post

That raises another question if LAPD says no but LASD says yes can they do it? Like if USC is in LAPD jurisdication does LAPD have the final say?
                              According to the bill, the COP or Sheriff can grant the status as long as the institution is in their jurisdiction. I wonder how they can swear in USCs officers seeing that most probably have expired POSTs by now since working there did not freeze it. After 3 years they expire sooo time for another academy? That could be costly.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8032 users online. 426 members and 7606 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X