Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Be careful working off duty gigs guys that 1099

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Be careful working off duty gigs guys that 1099

    So i picked up a side gig to make some extra money, 30 an hour for an armed POST certified off duty officer. Its a grocery store in some sketchy areas and ive had to put hands on someone almost every shift. It made me uneasy being 1099 and getting into crap esp after last week i chased a 211 susp luckily he ran right into an LAPD unit. So i started looking, turns out its against the law for security companies to 1099 guards. You have to have a PPO to be 1099'd. If you get caught working 1099 you could pay up to a 5k fine and lose your permits. Screw that its not worth it. A lot of security companies 1099 people so be careful out there

  • #2
    $30 an hour with taxes? WTF? Why would you work for that? This ain't west virgina.. Most cops in this state don't get out of bed for 50 an hour time and a half. The community college here pays like 70...

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by nobodyjr View Post
      $30 an hour with taxes? WTF? Why would you work for that? This ain't west virgina.. Most cops in this state don't get out of bed for 50 an hour time and a half. The community college here pays like 70...
      Wtf are you talking about? Most security companies pay around 30 an hour depending on the post, if you mean gigs paid thru the department thats different but not what i am talking about

      Comment


      • #4
        Sure hope you have your Guard and Gun card. Otherwise you are in violation of lots of state regs.
        Now go home and get your shine box!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
          Sure hope you have your Guard and Gun card. Otherwise you are in violation of lots of state regs.

          yea im aware, thats my point. As a regular guard with a guard card you can not work 1099. Do you guys even read the post before you reply? Smh

          Comment


          • #6
            Most of us aren't stupid enough to jepordize our jobs for less pay at a side job that can get us sued or killed. And your agency WONT cover you.

            Youre working in violation of the law.

            Dont be such a jackass.
            Now go home and get your shine box!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
              Most of us aren't stupid enough to jepordize our jobs for less pay at a side job that can get us sued or killed. And your agency WONT cover you.

              Youre working in violation of the law.

              Dont be such a jackass.
              Seriously do you not read before you post like an *******? Thats my point most guys have no idea you cant be 1099d doing security work. Ive been in law enforcement and security for 15 years and i didnt know. Thats why im warning people. I know plenty of cops who have worked 1099 before, especially young cops.

              Comment


              • #8
                Urban,

                Just to add to you thoughts.

                If you are working a 1099 job you are self employed and not working for your department.

                1. If you become injured, there is no workers comp or 4850 time, because you are your own employer. This goes on your own medical insurance and you burn off whatever sick leave, vacation and CTO you have. If you run out of leave credits and FMLA, your department can medically separate you, just as if any other, non work related, off duty injury rendered you unfit for work. Once you are separated, your live off your savings, department medical coverage ends and medical bills come out of your own pocket.

                2. If your injuries are such that you can permanently disabled from performing your peace officer position, there is no IOD retirement asd you were not injured during the scope and course of your departmental duties. You medically separate with a handshake and the best wishes of your comrades. Now you are unemployed, disabled and have no income.

                3. If you are sued or prosecuted for something you do during your 1099 employment, your PD/SO employer has no obligation to provide you with a legal defense because you were not acting withing the course and scope of your departmental duties. You must defend yourself out of your own pocket. Not even your PORAC LDF coverage will touch you.

                Do not tale any off duty police/security employment unless they contract with your department for the coverage and you are paid by your own agency rather than the private party.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                  Urban,

                  Just to add to you thoughts.

                  If you are working a 1099 job you are self employed and not working for your department.

                  1. If you become injured, there is no workers comp or 4850 time, because you are your own employer. This goes on your own medical insurance and you burn off whatever sick leave, vacation and CTO you have. If you run out of leave credits and FMLA, your department can medically separate you, just as if any other, non work related, off duty injury rendered you unfit for work. Once you are separated, your live off your savings, department medical coverage ends and medical bills come out of your own pocket.

                  2. If your injuries are such that you can permanently disabled from performing your peace officer position, there is no IOD retirement asd you were not injured during the scope and course of your departmental duties. You medically separate with a handshake and the best wishes of your comrades. Now you are unemployed, disabled and have no income.

                  3. If you are sued or prosecuted for something you do during your 1099 employment, your PD/SO employer has no obligation to provide you with a legal defense because you were not acting withing the course and scope of your departmental duties. You must defend yourself out of your own pocket. Not even your PORAC LDF coverage will touch you.

                  Do not tale any off duty police/security employment unless they contract with your department for the coverage and you are paid by your own agency rather than the private party.
                  Exactly my point i was making which is why i quit doing it. Im out of law enforcement but work full time doing executive protection but wanted something on the side to pay off my few remaining debts. But after i realized how much of a liability this is i quit doing it

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I thought you were "retired", so what does it matter if you're a contractor on a 10-99 vs being an employee getting a W-2?
                    I don't answer recruitment messages....

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
                      I thought you were "retired", so what does it matter if you're a contractor on a 10-99 vs being an employee getting a W-2?
                      Yes, I am retired and even then I don't take those type of 1099 jobs. I'm speaking of those who are still working as active officers. Taking a 1099 security or law enforcement job loses you all of the protections you normally have when working on duty or on departmental overtime. No workers comp, no disability retirement, no legal defense, no government agency deep pocket to pay for civil judgements awarded against you.

                      But again, the same thing affects retirees.

                      Let's assume you are retired, fat, dumb and happy. The house is just about paid off and you can use a few extra bucks to supplement your retirement, or fix up the car, or remodel the bathroom the wife has been nagging you to do, so you go to work providing security for $30 an hour as at 1099 contractor at an establishment in a questionable part of town that is in need of security.

                      A couple of months into the job you get into a difficult use of force incident. You get hurt and the bad guy gets hurt. You are your owe employer, so you are.responsible for your medical bills and out of pockets. Hopefully your retirement included some sort of medical insurance. At the hospital they ask you if your injury is work related. You are honest and say, yes. A few months later you get a letter from your insurance carrier telling they are not paying your medical bills because work related injuries are not covered. They tell you to file a claim with your worker's comp carrier. Did you remeeber to purchase worker's comp insurance? If not, be prepared to battle it out with your insurance company. You will probably prevail, but in the mean time you will have bill collectors at your door and doctors and hospitals may demand cash up front until the dispute with your insurance company is resolved.

                      The bad guy who was hurt hires a nuisance attorney on contingency.. Discovering that you are wealthy (own a house) they file a law suit against you for "attacking" his client. You are self employed and are responsible for providing your own legal defense. You call your homeowner's insurance and ask for legal defense under your liability coverage, only to be told it doesn't cover work related matters. Now you have to take out a second mortgage on your house to pay a lawyer to defend you, because your savings are already depleted due to medical bills.

                      For some reason you lose in court and a judgement is made against you. Normally, your employer would be liable to pay actual damages, but you are your own employer. You sell the house and file for bankruptcy.

                      Let's also take this a step further. Let's assume law enforcement was called to your incident and the crowd of bystanders lied as to what transpired (surprise, surprise) making you out to be the bad guy who beat the snot out of some poor, ethically challenged individual who "didn't do anything wrong." Even as a retired cop, you're still John Doe Citizen when it comes to stuff like this. The next thing you know, you get hooked and booked for assault with a deadly weapon and are facing trial. In most states, a government employer is legally oibligated to provide an employee with legal defense if charged with a crime arising out the scope and course of his duties. As a 1099 contractor, you are on the hook for the cost of defending yourself. Go find another $20 or $30K hidden in an old citation book somewhere.

                      Active or retired, this is not the kind of work you do as a 1099 contractor.
                      Last edited by L-1; 06-03-2017, 01:44 AM.
                      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by L-1 View Post

                        Yes, I am retired and even then I don't take those type of 1099 jobs. I'm speaking of those who are still working as active officers. Taking a 1099 security or law enforcement job loses you all of the protections you normally have when working on duty or on departmental overtime. No workers comp, no disability retirement, no legal defense, no government agency deep pocket to pay for civil judgements awarded against you.

                        But again, the same thing affects retirees.

                        Let's assume you are retired, fat, dumb and happy. The house is just about paid off and you can use a few extra bucks to supplement your retirement, or fix up the car, or remodel the bathroom the wife has been nagging you to do, so you go to work providing security for $30 an hour as at 1099 contractor at an establishment in a questionable part of town that is in need of security.

                        A couple of months into the job you get into a difficult use of force incident. You get hurt and the bad guy gets hurt. You are your owe employer, so you are.responsible for your medical bills and out of pockets. Hopefully your retirement included some sort of medical insurance. At the hospital they ask you if your injury is work related. You are honest and say, yes. A few months later you get a letter from your insurance carrier telling they are not paying your medical bills because work related injuries are not covered. They tell you to file a claim with your worker's comp carrier. Did you remeeber to purchase worker's comp insurance? If not, be prepared to battle it out with your insurance company. You will probably prevail, but in the mean time you will have bill collectors at your door and doctors and hospitals may demand cash up front until the dispute with your insurance company is resolved.

                        The bad guy who was hurt hires a nuisance attorney on contingency.. Discovering that you are wealthy (own a house) they file a law suit against you for "attacking" his client. You are self employed and are responsible for providing your own legal defense. You call your homeowner's insurance and ask for legal defense under your liability coverage, only to be told it doesn't cover work related matters. Now you have to take out a second mortgage on your house to pay a lawyer to defend you, because your savings are already depleted due to medical bills.

                        For some reason you lose in court and a judgement is made against you. Normally, your employer would be liable to pay actual damages, but you are your own employer. You sell the house and file for bankruptcy.

                        Let's also take this a step further. Let's assume law enforcement was called to your incident and the crowd of bystanders lied as to what transpired (surprise, surprise) making you out to be the bad guy who beat the snot out of some poor, ethically challenged individual who "didn't do anything wrong." Even as a retired cop, you're still John Doe Citizen when it comes to stuff like this. The next thing you know, you get hooked and booked for assault with a deadly weapon and are facing trial. In most states, a government employer is legally oibligated to provide an employee with legal defense if charged with a crime arising out the scope and course of his duties. As a 1099 contractor, you are on the hook for the cost of defending yourself. Go find another $20 or $30K hidden in an old citation book somewhere.

                        Active or retired, this is not the kind of work you do as a 1099 contractor.
                        Not you but the OP
                        I don't answer recruitment messages....

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          That is why your college degree should be something besides Criminal Justice. When you need a side job you can be a CPA or Accountant. The worse injury you'll get is a paper cut.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            That's why I don't work off duty gigs that pay less than what I make. Want OT do it at work or find an arrest. Or have other talents
                            I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

                            It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post

                              Not you but the OP
                              I am retired but a retired leo doesnt mean collecting a pension as my dept closed down therefore i have an LEOSA ID that allows me to do my main job of executive protection of which i made 142k last year. However they cut my OT down hence why i was looking for side work

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 5254 users online. 285 members and 4969 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X