300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shortest basic academy

Does anyone know an academy that just has the 200 hours minimum? I have enough training to meet the 6xx hours requirement but will not be able to get a letter saying I have 1 year of basic le experience (am a fed so my current experience doesn't qualify and am not eligible to a letter from my brief time in local le). FWIW I'm not looking to be police or sheriff but rather a marshal and a county court house, thank you.
    Those who have struggled with failure more appreciate success; than those who succeed but never themselves test.

Originally posted by 3531Marine View Post
    Does anyone know an academy that just has the 200 hours minimum? I have enough training to meet the 6xx hours requirement but will not be able to get a letter saying I have 1 year of basic le experience (am a fed so my current experience doesn't qualify and am not eligible to a letter from my brief time in local le). FWIW I'm not looking to be police or sheriff but rather a marshal and a county court house, thank you.
    The minimum amount of training that you need to be a PEACE officer (not police officer) in California is 64 hours of training, which can be achieved by going through the PC 832 course. Any campus that has a basic training academy offers the course and it is like three weeks long. State investigator agencies used to send their peace officers to that training along with the Special Investigator Training Course, i.e. DMV, ABC and Dept. of Insurance. They have kind of done away with that and a lot now require the full basic course (police academy), which is six months long.

Not sure where you are looking to get hired on, but most peace officer jobs require now the basic academy. The ones that only require the PC 832 qualification are few and far between. I think some District Attorney Investigators in very few counties still allow that as their minimum training. Maybe some county park rangers as well. The county courts are typically staffed with either correctional officers or fully sworn deputies.

Shasta county still hires marshals, but I think they have to have the basic academy training, I'm not sure on that though.

Hope that helps.

Comment

• Deputyhcsd
      Deputyhcsd commented
      Editing a comment
      1998 – The POST Commission voted to make the minimum qualification for a District Attorney Investigator the Regular Basic Academy.

You need to go back in time a bit to accomplish what you want. My full Basic POST Academy was 244 hours, but that was back in 1970. Get off my lawn you darn kids!
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Basic Academy in CA means full academy.
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Does anyone know an academy that just has the 200 hours minimum?
        Not sure where you got 200 hours. The full basic POST is now a minimum of 644 hours.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post

Not sure where you got 200 hours. The full basic POST is now a minimum of 644 hours.
          Probably looking at the different level of reserves. I think one of the blocks requires a little less than 200.

Comment

How do you have 600+ hours of training but unable to get what you need? I understand your a federal officer, just not seeing how you have the hours. Not sure what you mean 200 hours. The minimum is 664.

I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

The Santa Clara County Sheriff has a "de facto" marshal. You can stay in the Court Security division for the rest of your career if you want. The only catch is you must complete Field Training.

There are no more County Courts. They were consolidated into the State Superior Court System. Nearly every Court uses the Sheriff to staff security.
              Last edited by RGDS; 04-10-2017, 10:46 PM.
              semper destravit

Comment

According to the waiver standards it states you need a 200hr basic police academy along with 644 hours of training (basic included). I have over 644 hours through my agencies academy, my states police academy, and inservice/advanced training, along with an associates in criminal justice and a ba with a minor in it. But the waiver also requires 1 year of "basic police experience", I didnt have a year of experience in local le and my federal experience doesn't count due to notbresponsing to calls of service, patrolling geographical area, etc. im not willing to do a full academy again though. And Shasta county at least still hires marshals and that's where I was looking to go. Thanks for all your answers.
                Those who have struggled with failure more appreciate success; than those who succeed but never themselves test.

Comment

• Deputyhcsd
                  Deputyhcsd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You have to have the full academy to work for Shasta County Marshals Office. They work courts but they are 830.1

Then you don't meet the full waiver requirements and must attend a Basic academy. You are trying to find a bridge course, however, you don't meet the criteria for CA certification.

Comment

According to the waiver standards it states you need a 200hr basic police academy along with 644 hours of training (basic included). I have over 644 hours through my agencies academy, my states police academy, and inservice/advanced training, along with an associates in criminal justice and a ba with a minor in it. But the waiver also requires 1 year of "basic police experience", I didnt have a year of experience in local le and my federal experience doesn't count due to notbresponsing to calls of service, patrolling geographical area, etc. im not willing to do a full academy again though. And Shasta county at least still hires marshals and that's where I was looking to go. Thanks for all your answers.
                  Unfortunately according to Shasta County website the minimum amount of training required to apply is that you either are currently attending or have graduated from an approved California law enforcement training academy with a certificate showing you passed.

If you have enough training hours that meets the requirement I would just get an academy waiver and you will have the equivalent of a certificate and meet the minimum requirement for the job.

The one year experience, however allows you to apply as a lateral applicant. From what you are saying I would just apply and at the same time go through the process of getting a waiver at the same time. You can't apply as a lateral though because according to POST you aren't considered a lateral, just an academy graduate only (once the waiver is obtained of course).

Comment

You're right, I don't qualify though because in order to get a waiver I need that one year of patrol experience. California can make whatever rules they want but imo an academy should translate to a post academy waiver without the 1 year of experience, especially if it's for an entry level and not lateral. Thanks though.

Comment

You're right, I don't qualify though because in order to get a waiver I need that one year of patrol experience. California can make whatever rules they want but imo an academy should translate to a post academy waiver without the 1 year of experience, especially if it's for an entry level and not lateral. Thanks though.
                      It says one year of "general law enforcement experience." You sure you confirmed with POST that your federal time for sure does not count as general LE experience?

Comment

What you think, isn't what the regs state...and for a damn good reason. We don't need under-trained laterals or waived people from other states...

The requirements are there to prevent problems and ensure standards.

Comment

What is your fed time? I can see the acadmey for BLM/NPS rangers and USFS LEOs due to their acadmey is 18 weeks and covers general law ie domestic calls to drunks to some dope and traffic stops. Compared to say border patrol or va police or customs guys they don't deal with we deal with.

your trying to find a lope hole where there isn't one. You can maybe challenge post for a basic. I know of a who did. But why not stay where you are at?
                          I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7865 users online. 450 members and 7415 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X