300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LA coppers, question about apartments

I tried looking up some affordable, but nice, apartments on websites like forrent and apartments.com, but they're always either in the ghetto or above 2k. Anybody got recommendations as to how to look for decent places under 2k rent? I don't care so much for the area because I'm packing and if it's a nice looking place I'd hope the people living there are ok to be around. Or if there is a general area near or around LA with all around good places to rent that could help to.

Dream on.

Now that I'm retired I've invested in rental properties. I own an apartment building in a Long Beach slum neighborhood so bad that HUD deliberately lowered their subsidies for Section 8 tenants to encourage them to move to a better part of town. Nonetheless, I still get $1,540 per month for a two bedroom with limited street parking.

Similarly, my mother lives in a so-so Santa Monica apartment where two bedroom, 700 square foot apartments are going for $2,800 per month. The only thing saving her is rent control. She's been there for 40 years and only pays $780 per month.

The fact that your packing is irrelevant - the quality of the neighborhood you live in is important. Not only will your peers judge you by it but its important if you want to avoid avoid burglars, hypes,vandalism, dope dealers, and unfriendly neighbors, just to name a few.

Try Craigslist, Zillow and Hotpads for apartment listings. Westside Rentals is also available but that is a pay site.

If you don't mind a bit of a commute, take a look at listings in Topanga. It's a bit eclectic, but property and rentals there have often been undervalued.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
      Dream on.

Now that I'm retired I've invested in rental properties. I own an apartment building in a Long Beach slum neighborhood so bad that HUD deliberately lowered their subsidies for Section 8 tenants to encourage them to move to a better part of town. Nonetheless, I still get $1,540 per month for a two bedroom with limited street parking.

Similarly, my mother lives in a so-so Santa Monica apartment where two bedroom, 700 square foot apartments are going for $2,800 per month. The only thing saving her is rent control. She's been there for 40 years and only pays $780 per month.

The fact that your packing is irrelevant - the quality of the neighborhood you live in is important. Not only will your peers judge you by it but its important if you want to avoid avoid burglars, hypes,vandalism, dope dealers, and unfriendly neighbors, just to name a few.

Try Craigslist, Zillow and Hotpads for apartment listings. Westside Rentals is also available but that is a pay site.

If you don't mind a bit of a commute, take a look at listings in Topanga. It's a bit eclectic, but property and rentals there have often been undervalued.
      I've been looking into the valley but it's a bit of a commute from my division. What about apartments in central/wilshire in the towers and high rises? Are those just as bad?

Comment

I have been away from Central since 1994 so I can't say. (I worked for the state and my office was two blocks from the glass house.)

Back then Central Division was a pit. There were some nice (but expensive) apartments within a few miles you could lock yourself into after work and pretend the rest of the world outside didn't exist, but if you wanted to go out for a drink, dinner or to shop, you had to completely leave the area. There are probably one or two guys in your station that have a side business in real estate. They can probably turn you on to decent rentals in a good neighborhood, but don't count on anything cheap.

Bear in mind that if you want inexpensive, you will have to commute, which is expensive and time consuming. If you don't want to commute, you will have to pay higher rent. One way or the other, it will even out. Commuting is a way of life. Back in the 90s I lived in Manhattan Beach. Although it was only 21 miles away, the inbound commute in the morning coming up the Harbor was 60 to 75 minutes. Going home it was 90 to 105 minutes. Some of our folks lived as far away as San Bernardino, Corona, Chino Hills, Santa Ana, Palmdale, Castaic and Murieta, and commuted daily. A few took the Amtrack from the Inland Empire. There used to be a number of guys who worked in DHD and lived in San Diego. They took the train from San Diego to Union Station every day. About four times a year there would be an incident where the tracks would get shut down somewhere around Oceanside and there would be a lot of empty desks in DHD for the day.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
          I have been away from Central since 1994 so I can't say. (I worked for the state and my office was two blocks from the glass house.)

Back then Central Division was a pit. There were some nice (but expensive) apartments within a few miles you could lock yourself into after work and pretend the rest of the world outside didn't exist, but if you wanted to go out for a drink, dinner or to shop, you had to completely leave the area. There are probably one or two guys in your station that have a side business in real estate. They can probably turn you on to decent rentals in a good neighborhood, but don't count on anything cheap.

Bear in mind that if you want inexpensive, you will have to commute, which is expensive and time consuming. If you don't want to commute, you will have to pay higher rent. One way or the other, it will even out. Commuting is a way of life. Back in the 90s I lived in Manhattan Beach. Although it was only 21 miles away, the inbound commute in the morning coming up the Harbor was 60 to 75 minutes. Going home it was 90 to 105 minutes. Some of our folks lived as far away as San Bernardino, Corona, Chino Hills, Santa Ana, Palmdale, Castaic and Murieta, and commuted daily. A few took the Amtrack from the Inland Empire. There used to be a number of guys who worked in DHD and lived in San Diego. They took the train from San Diego to Union Station every day. About four times a year there would be an incident where the tracks would get shut down somewhere around Oceanside and there would be a lot of empty desks in DHD for the day.
          Yeah I figured taking a job in the area would mean a commute. I'm hoping to save on rent now to get a house out in the San Bernardino/Riverside valley. I've seen some of those apartments in central and the rent is fair but like you said, the area is not so good. I'm gonna ask around and see what I can find. Hopefully the internet or somebody at work will know a thing or two.

Comment

Get an apartment in the ghetto , make sure you don't own anything. Fill it with second hand crap, don't keep anything valuable in it, save your money. Buy a pos car. Life WILL suck because you won't be able to relax.
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
              Get an apartment in the ghetto , make sure you don't own anything. Fill it with second hand crap, don't keep anything valuable in it, save your money. Buy a pos car. Life WILL suck because you won't be able to relax.
              You never fail to come up with a good answer.

Comment

Originally posted by flak View Post

I've been looking into the valley but it's a bit of a commute from my division. What about apartments in central/wilshire in the towers and high rises? Are those just as bad?
                LoL. Wilshire is home to million dollar law firms. If you want to pay $4,000 for a studio, go for it.

Is it just you? 1bd?

If you want under 2k and not a ****box, you're not going to be within 15-20 miles of downtown. You're looking at the Valley. Van Nuys, North Hollywood, Chatsworth. Maybe check out east to Glendale/Pasadena area.
                Other officer: Oh that's right, I forgot, you're God's gift to police work.
                Me: At least someone recognizes it.

Turns out basic police work isn't so hard, you just have to leave the station.

Comment

Originally posted by Blizz View Post

LoL. Wilshire is home to million dollar law firms. If you want to pay $4,000 for a studio, go for it.

Is it just you? 1bd?

If you want under 2k and not a ****box, you're not going to be within 15-20 miles of downtown. You're looking at the Valley. Van Nuys, North Hollywood, Chatsworth. Maybe check out east to Glendale/Pasadena area.
                  I saw studios for about 1700 but of course the 4k ones are more plentiful. And yeah the valley seems like a good bet.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                    I currently live in the ghetto and get through by keeping a low profile. I know a couple of other coppers who live in similar areas and they get by the same way. flak, I would recommend you check out the West LA/Culver City area. I know a lot of people who live out there in old but nice apartments, with ease of access to the freeway, who pay less than $2000. Most have roommates, resulting in rent coming in at less than $1,000 per person.

Comment

Originally posted by av91 View Post

I currently live in the ghetto and get through by keeping a low profile. I know a couple of other coppers who live in similar areas and they get by the same way. flak, I would recommend you check out the West LA/Culver City area. I know a lot of people who live out there in old but nice apartments, with ease of access to the freeway, who pay less than $2000. Most have roommates, resulting in rent coming in at less than $1,000 per person.
                      I've looked into west la and marina del rey area. I think with a roommate down the road I could make it happen. Although you live in the ghetto, is your place nice or does it match its surroundings?

Comment

If you are sworn why not ask the local stations/divisions what's up. If you want near downtown look at the Holiday Inn burbank near the 5 fwy. They do long terms stays. My buddies mom works there. He was saying there's a dude that's been living there, a lawyer, for 20+ years, in a 1 bedroom suite. He pays maybe 2k a month. Cleaning service, pool, close by. Just a thought
                        I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Originally posted by flak View Post

I've looked into west la and marina del rey area. I think with a roommate down the road I could make it happen. Although you live in the ghetto, is your place nice or does it match its surroundings?
                          My place is nice but what helps me is that I grew up in this area and I'm familiar with the ins and outs, so to speak. Ultimately, I would recommend you consider the West LA/Marina Del Rey area over the ghetto since you can still find affordable housing in nicer areas.

Then again, you haven't mentioned what part of LA you would be working in so it makes it a bit difficult to truly recommend a specific section of the city. One of your top considerations should be commute time in gridlock traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by av91

My place is nice but what helps me is that I grew up in this area and I'm familiar with the ins and outs, so to speak. Ultimately, I would recommend you consider the West LA/Marina Del Rey area over the ghetto since you can still find affordable housing in nicer areas.

Then again, you haven't mentioned what part of LA you would be working in so it makes it a bit difficult to truly recommend a specific section of the city. One of your top considerations should be commute time in gridlock traffic.
                            I'm somewhere in West Bureau. I think Marina wouldn't be too bad if do my finances right.

Originally posted by moparfan
                            If you are sworn why not ask the local stations/divisions what's up. If you want near downtown look at the Holiday Inn burbank near the 5 fwy. They do long terms stays. My buddies mom works there. He was saying there's a dude that's been living there, a lawyer, for 20+ years, in a 1 bedroom suite. He pays maybe 2k a month. Cleaning service, pool, close by. Just a thought
                            I've thought about those serviced places but I think they're too small for the price.

Comment

A one bedroom room suite is not the small. I had to stay in a 2 bedroom with my wife and 3 boys for 9 months as our house was being repaired, it wasn't that bad on room. Only down side is no oven, bud full refrigerator, pots and pans, and a 3 burner electric stove.
                              I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4430 users online. 222 members and 4208 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X