Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

California Highway Patrol- 2017 Testing Cycle

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by VelascoA View Post
    Don’t know if it is normal, but you’re not alone!! I’ve been waiting since July!! When you log in on the website, what’s your application status!?
    You should both call CalPSP

    Comment


    • Originally posted by CHiP92 View Post
      where did you hear class is going to be 75 cadets?
      Buddy who is in the current academy

      Comment


      • Test dates: July 22 2017, July 23 2017
        Background Packet: August 8 2017
        Initial Background Interview: October 18 2017
        Second Background Interview: October 25 2017
        CVSA: Week of October 30 2017 (Exact date and time is unknown, will receive that on Monday 30th).

        INLAND DIVISION

        And can confirm Jan academy will be 75 cadets. BI told me yesterday.
        Last edited by ieLE; 10-26-2017, 08:07 PM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by CaliLibertarian View Post

          5 miles at 8 minutes?? How far into academy.
          You should be at that pace by pick up day. The hiring process is 1+ year for just about everybody. That is ample time to get yourself in shape to run 5 miles under 40 minutes.

          This is for all applicants. Your physical fitness will not only benefit you in the academy, but also heavily influence your badge number and standing within your class. This helps with transfers, shift sign-ups, promotions, etc... The officers in the class before you will automatically have lower badge numbers, but out of 100 or so cadets, being near the top of your class will help you a lot during your first few years.

          Comment


          • You will not start off running 5 miles at 8 minutes. You will start around 2 miles at an 8 minute pace and the PT will be a progression. It will also vary and you may do the distance at a faster pace and at an interval with exercises in between the run. With that said come in the best shape possible. There's no excuse to look like slob and be out of shape with the amount of time in the process. You do not want extra attention for being out of shape. And please do not show up not being able to pass the PAT again.

            Comment


            • CaliLibertarian
              CaliLibertarian commented
              Editing a comment
              Any word on academy start date for january

          • Had heard January 22nd but not sure if they are going to be changing it. You'll find out soon enough once you get the invite.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Michael_90 View Post
              Congrats on passing! Did you have to call CHU to find out or did they update your cadet hiring profile? I took mine a little over a month ago now and have not yet heard back if I passed.
              Call them. I called 4 times in 6 weeks

              Comment


              • Michael_90
                Michael_90 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, I called earlier today and she said I have now cleared everything! Hopefully get into the next academy now.

            • Originally posted by Michael_90 View Post
              Thanks, I called earlier today and she said I have now cleared everything! Hopefully get into the next academy now.

              Awesome man! Soon as we get invites I’ll start a group text for it

              Comment


              • Just got done with my psych interview. Anyone that went through it and passed how did you feel about it coming out and for those who didn’t can you also share the feeling you had once it was all over? I took it yesterday now it’s just wait and see! How long did it take to find out results?

                Comment


                • CaliLibertarian
                  CaliLibertarian commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I felt good but I think everyone second guesses it. 6 weeks for me

                • Martial_Law
                  Martial_Law commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The psych tends to make people feel uneasy. People have left there feeling confident only to fail, and have left there feeling like they've totally bombed it only to pass.........and everything else in between. Good luck!

              • Hello everyone. This is my first time posting in this forum and I have a couple questions.

                I'm an applicant taking the physical and written this January in the central Division. I have a pretty clean background but my question is about my credit and accounts in collections. I'm 21 I'll be 22 next year, long story short I got some fix-it tickets when I was 16/17 for expired tags and tail lights that went out. Now those forgotten tickets have gotten outrageous. Those, paired with a hospital visit where I didn't have my insurance cards turned into a major debt collection.

                Overall between the four tickets and emergency room stop, I owed over 7k. Once I set myself on the path for CHP and looked into myself I started a payment plan which I've been on for four months but I still won't put a dent in what I owe by the time I get to backgrounds. I've been faithful to the payments but I know this will hurt my chances. My credit is low 500s I don't have much on it except the medical bill and hard inquiries from at&t, Comcast, and Verizon which I didn't understand at the time I tried to get an iPhone and cable for my apartment.

                My question is should I continue in the hiring process once January comes along or is my collection debt so ridiculous that I have no chance until I lower it to a reasonable amount or completely pay it.

                I've been searching the internet and other forums but none of them have been CHP specific. They all say that it won't be a positive thing as it makes me look irresponsible but not necessarily a DQ, but those examples also weren't as high as mine. By the time I should be into backgrounds the amount will be closer to 5k. Still very high but if I can show that I've been actively trying to take of it on my own? I don't miss a shift at work because I know I have to handle this in order to be taken seriously and I can't rely on anyone else. My searches also say that my credit score isn't very important but rather the collections is what weighs heavy, which isn't any better for me lol. Thanks for reading.

                Any advice or insight is welcome.

                Comment


                • Martial_Law
                  Martial_Law commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I would personally wait. Put a bit more time between the four tickets and try to reduce that debt and improve your credit score.

                • ieLE
                  ieLE commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Continue with the process. As CaliLibertarian said, you're still very young. The BIs will be forthright with you and will tell you the exact reasons why they decide not to continue. They won't leave you in the dark. If it's an issue, keep paying them down, show them you're responsible, and a year or two from now it will look much better

                • VelascoA
                  VelascoA commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My advice to you is to continue with the process. The worst thing that can happen is you get DQ but at the very least, your background Investigator will definitely let you know where you stand and tell you what you need to take care before you reapply. If you don’t continue, you won’t know for sure what you need to work on.

                • nicolebackk
                  nicolebackk commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you everyone for the advice. Btw I am a woman. Anyway, my most recent ticket is almost three years old and I'm gonna go through the process. I see everyone's different opinions and I see where you're coming from its a lot of good insight. Thanks.

              • Originally posted by Martial_Law View Post
                I would personally wait. Put a bit more time between the four tickets and try to reduce that debt and improve your credit score.
                There’s no negative to applying though. If denied and try again later it will show BI he/she took steps to improve

                Comment


                • Martial_Law
                  Martial_Law commented
                  Editing a comment
                  He/she can take my advice or he/she can choose to pass on it. I'm just trying to offer some perspective because the outcome is not in his/her favor despite the small possibility that an applicant "could" move forward considering the issues; I've known people to get bounced out of the CHP process for less (e.g...bad credit alone WITHOUT the fairly recent citations, etc....or JUST the fairly recent citations WITHOUT the bad credit). I wasn't being negative. I am being realistic and encouraging (by suggesting that he/she works on the issues and re-applies when they can present a better picture of themselves). An unnecessary and avoidable DQ is exactly that....unnecessary and avoidable. The CHP is big on [recent] citations and credit is a concern with EVERY department; the hospital debt can be articulated and likely wouldn't pose as much of an issue. Nicolebackk already knows what his/her issues are. He/she doesn't need a B/I to confirm what is already known. Nonetheless, good luck Nicolebackk with whatever you decide to do.
                  Last edited by Martial_Law; 10-29-2017, 04:10 AM.

              • Anyone get an invite for January yet?

                Comment


                • I completely agree with martial law, background investigators hate nothing more than having an applicant with known issues and still apply. Its a waste of time for both the applicant and the investigator. If there's stuff that can be fixed, fix it then apply.
                  sigpic

                  People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
                  -George Orwell

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by nicolebackk View Post
                    Hello everyone. This is my first time posting in this forum and I have a couple questions.

                    I'm an applicant taking the physical and written this January in the central Division. I have a pretty clean background but my question is about my credit and accounts in collections. I'm 21 I'll be 22 next year, long story short I got some fix-it tickets when I was 16/17 for expired tags and tail lights that went out. Now those forgotten tickets have gotten outrageous. Those, paired with a hospital visit where I didn't have my insurance cards turned into a major debt collection.

                    Overall between the four tickets and emergency room stop, I owed over 7k. Once I set myself on the path for CHP and looked into myself I started a payment plan which I've been on for four months but I still won't put a dent in what I owe by the time I get to backgrounds. I've been faithful to the payments but I know this will hurt my chances. My credit is low 500s I don't have much on it except the medical bill and hard inquiries from at&t, Comcast, and Verizon which I didn't understand at the time I tried to get an iPhone and cable for my apartment.

                    My question is should I continue in the hiring process once January comes along or is my collection debt so ridiculous that I have no chance until I lower it to a reasonable amount or completely pay it.

                    I've been searching the internet and other forums but none of them have been CHP specific. They all say that it won't be a positive thing as it makes me look irresponsible but not necessarily a DQ, but those examples also weren't as high as mine. By the time I should be into backgrounds the amount will be closer to 5k. Still very high but if I can show that I've been actively trying to take of it on my own? I don't miss a shift at work because I know I have to handle this in order to be taken seriously and I can't rely on anyone else. My searches also say that my credit score isn't very important but rather the collections is what weighs heavy, which isn't any better for me lol. Thanks for reading.

                    Any advice or insight is welcome.
                    " I tried to get an iPhone and cable for my apartment."
                    You owe between $5-7k and then go out to purchase a $700 phone and incur roughly $100 cable bill each month? Jesus....

                    Comment


                    • nicolebackk
                      nicolebackk commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ahem... "at the time I tried to get an iPhone and cable for my apartment" I tried to get an iPhone and cable before I found my fix it tickets, about two years prior. I got neither the iPhone or the cable but the hard inquires are still on my credit report as I said.

                  • No invites received?

                    Comment

                    MR300x250 Tablet

                    Collapse

                    What's Going On

                    Collapse

                    There are currently 2746 users online. 153 members and 2593 guests.

                    Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                    Welcome Ad

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X