Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody know any medical standards regarding asthma in CA Law Enforcement?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody know any medical standards regarding asthma in CA Law Enforcement?

I have a friend, who's military with asthma. Yes, if you're in the military, and they diagnose you, you can stay in. Anyways, I know POST basically states it is up to the individual departments. Has anyone known anybody on the job with asthma? My friend has it, doesn't use his inhaler, never been to the hospital,etc

http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/Respir.pdf

"No restrictions are necessary if the candidate is able to complete an acceptable level of exercise without clinically significant exercise-induced asthma and without use of as-needed bronchodilator medication, or use of medication on day of exam. However, the candidate’s ability to maintain adequate functioning when exposed to severe environmental/toxic conditions must be considered."

Comment

There's more to it than just that one paragraph. Read the entire publication and pay particular attention to the acceptable measurements during the testing process.

The best thing to do is print the publication out, take it to your pulmonary physician and ask him to read it carefully. Ask him to pretend he is the police department's doctor who is being paid to look out for their best interests and not yours. Then ask him if he would pass of fail you based on the criteria in the manual, taking into consideration what he knows of your condition. That will give you a ballpark idea as to where you stand.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

But it still depends on the department, correct?

Comment

That's an overly broad question. What do you mean? Does the department have the right to reject POST Standards? Do they have the right to establish standards more strict that those set by POST?

The department may establish whatever standards have a bona fide relationship to the duties of the position being sought. Those standards set by POST have been vetted as having bona fide relationship to the law enforcement profession so as to save each department the cost of validation and having to reinvent the wheel. Does that clear things up?

Comment

It kind of does, but its still greek to me( no offense). I read, and re read the post standards, and even contacted them. Basically they said it depends on the doctor, how they see it. My buddy does the military fitness daily, no issues. I've met a few cops who went thru the academy, and are still working patrol. I've even met a few texas troopers with asthma. The only thing is my buddy is really wanting to work in ca. I know Sac SO said it depends on the doc also.

Comment

So what happens when your buddy DOES have an attack...in the middle of a fight? There's no time out on the streets.
              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

yea, i got that, but he rarely uses it.

Comment

It's up to HIM, not you. You've posted that it doesn't effect him, but it apparently does. His asthma DOES effect his military service: they would do a MED Board and reclassify him if needed.

Comment

negative. so the way it basically works now a days in the army is.... they look at what the issue is, ask you if you want to stay, stay and reclass, or med out. He chose to stay in, with his same job( infantry). But I agree with you, it is up to him. I'm just trying to get some info. I'm not sure if he knows about this site or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Cavgod99 View Post
                      I have a friend, who's military with asthma. Yes, if you're in the military, and they diagnose you, you can stay in. Anyways, I know POST basically states it is up to the individual departments. Has anyone known anybody on the job with asthma? My friend has it, doesn't use his inhaler, never been to the hospital,etc
                      We screen out for weak blood lines.
                      Other officer: Oh that's right, I forgot, you're God's gift to police work.
                      Me: At least someone recognizes it.

Turns out basic police work isn't so hard, you just have to leave the station.

Comment

Originally posted by Cavgod99 View Post
                        It kind of does, but its still greek to me( no offense). I read, and re read the post standards, and even contacted them. Basically they said it depends on the doctor, how they see it. My buddy does the military fitness daily, no issues. I've met a few cops who went thru the academy, and are still working patrol. I've even met a few texas troopers with asthma. The only thing is my buddy is really wanting to work in ca. I know Sac SO said it depends on the doc also.
                        It's greek to you because you lack access to your friends medical records and even if you had them, you lack the medical expertise and training necessary to properly evaluate your friend's medical condition in relation to the medical standards for the job.

"They" are correct when they say it depends on the doctor. A licensed, medically trained physician will examine your friend's medical records and history. He will interview your friend. He administer pulmonary function tests of his own. Based on the combined results, he will determine whether your friend's asthmatic condition meets the criteria for disqualification under current POST rules and any additional medical requirements established by the hiring agency. It's that simple.

If this issue is of such burning importance that you must know first hand, go to medical school, become a doctor and specialize in pulmonary diseases. Then (with your friend's permission) examine his medical records, conduct your own pulmonary function tests on him and determine whether or not he meets POST criteria. When you done, come back and let us know the results.

Comment

Nope. Not going to have inhaler suckers in a CA unit. There are too many issues.

Comment

People are ignorant on here.

I have asthma, got hired easy.

I know fellow cops/deputies that have asthma.

The agency will put you through medical test to see how you respond.

One of my close buddies just lateraled to a department and they were concerned about it but hired him anyways.

Comment

thanks man, i understand both points of views. no worries

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9193 users online. 517 members and 8676 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X