300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Palos Verdes Estates contracts for beef-up law enforcement at Lunada Bay

Lunada Bay surfers and visitors alike will see more law enforcement officers this winter.

The Palos Verdes Estates City Council on Tuesday approved a plan to contract with outside agencies to augment the city’s existing police force around the now infamous bay. The extra enforcement comes with a $50,000 price tag, according to a city staff report.

The bay has become synonymous with surfing localism after a class-action lawsuit filed earlier this year sought to designate a group of local surfers known as the Bay Boys as a criminal gang. The suit accuses the surfers of violent tactics, including throwing rocks and vandalizing cars, to keep outsiders away from the prime surf spot. The same suit accuses Palos Verdes Estates of not doing enough to prevent the behavior.

Since the lawsuit was filed, the California Coastal Commission has made multiple attempts to push the city to improve public access to the bay.

Tuesday’s vote allows City Manager Tony Dahlerbruch to execute an agreement with the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Contract Law Division and the Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy to provide extra law enforcement around the bay this winter, the general surfing season for Lunada Bay.

The few speakers to comment at the meeting Tuesday supported the proposal, although one woman also called it a “Band-Aid solution.” Most, however, said they supported the move to beef up public safety in and around Lunada Bay.

Andrew Nuckles recounted his experience as a child accompanying his father to Lunada Bay, where they were met with violent threats from locals trying to scare them off. He added that, while localism isn’t unique to Lunada Bay, he supported the increased patrols to try to curb it there.

“Going down and surfing in Lunada Bay and also in a couple other places on the Peninsula here, people have, like, attempted to harm me,” he told council members. “It really does happen, not just in bad surf movies.”

The city report references an “increase in media publicity about surfing” as an impetus for the desire to add more law enforcement to Lunada Bay. That publicity, combined with the normal uptick in visitors and surfers headed to the bay during the winter season, led to the plan to increase police presence at Lunada Bay for the rest of the year, according to the report.

The agreement with the Sheriff’s Department would include patrol deputies and an ocean patrol boat and crew. That agreement could provide deputies to patrol the bluffs, trails and shoreline at Lunada Bay as well as the surf area in the bay itself.

The conservancy would bolster Palos Verdes Estates Police Department’s ranks with park rangers. Conservancy rangers would provide foot patrols to cover Lunada Bay and other more remote areas of the city not accessible by Police Department officers, according to the report.

The one-time $50,000 cost to fund the contract would be covered by the city’s capital improvement fund, according to the report.

Now this one is interesting. Palos Verdes Estates has contracted with the Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy for police services. The problem is, the conservancy is a police agency that doesn't exist. If you look in Section 830 and beyond of the California Penal Code (which defines who is a peace officer) you will find that the Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy (a state agency) is not listed. Instead, they signed joint powers agreements with other local (and not state) park districts wherein they contractually agree to share certain authorities and responsibilities. Because local park districts are authorized by law to appoint peace officers, The Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy believes they can appoint their own state peace officers under the contractually shared authority of local government.

The nearest Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy property is over 26 driving miles away. They're going to send a someone with questionable police authority on 50 mile round trips to make periodic checks of a surf spot? Give me a break. It looks like someone's hand is in the till here.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I cannot fathom how $50k is going to pay for Deps and a patrol boat too...
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
        I cannot fathom how $50k is going to pay for Deps and a patrol boat too...
        Yeah same here. it might get a sheriff security officer. I'm guessing they ment $500k.
        I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Let's step back and look at this for a minute

Just ballparking it here, but the contractual hourly rate for a cop in So Cal is usually around $45 to $50 per hour. I'm betting that most of this money is set aside to cover the hourly cost for any response by deputies on a boat crew (along with boat coasts) when needed by PVE PD.

There are several people on a boat crew and a single response plus the pro rata cost of the boat operation will probably run around $500 per incident.

Realistically, it will take around 100 boat responses to eat up that $50,000 budget. Do you really there will that much of a demand for boat responses to burn through the entire $50,000 budget in one fiscal year? Next, note that this $50,000 was dog robbed from a capital improvements budget, so if it isn't spent, it will go back into improving the city's infrastructure.

I'm going to suggest this is all smoke and mirrors, done to give the appearance that the city is actively doing something about the issue when they are not. I'll bet the SO boat crew may get five or six call outs over the next fiscal year, (which they would have responded to for free under mutual aid anyway). At the end of the fiscal year, everyone will think the problem got a half a million $ of extra police coverage when it didn't, the majority of the money will go back to the general fund, be reallocated to a new capitol improvements budget, and no one will be the wiser.

Your government in action.

Comment

You hire the Dep at 3x the hourly pay rate. That's an industry standard to cover bennies, insurance, etc. Marine Ops gets expensive very quickly, and that 50k will be eaten up in a few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
              You hire the Dep at 3x the hourly pay rate. That's an industry standard to cover bennies, insurance, etc. Marine Ops gets expensive very quickly, and that 50k will be eaten up in a few weeks.

Down here most agencies charge the median wage for the job class X 1.45 to cover benefits. Usually comes out at around $50 per hour depending on the agency.

I would love to work for an agency that provides 200% your wage in benefits. what departments up there pay that?
              Last edited by L-1; 11-20-2016, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Not saying that. It's an industry standard formula to cover costs.

I get $60 an hour. Flat.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                  Now this one is interesting. Palos Verdes Estates has contracted with the Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy for police services. The problem is, the conservancy is a police agency that doesn't exist. If you look in Section 830 and beyond of the California Penal Code (which defines who is a peace officer) you will find that the Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy (a state agency) is not listed. Instead, they signed joint powers agreements with other local (and not state) park districts wherein they contractually agree to share certain authorities and responsibilities. Because local park districts are authorized by law to appoint peace officers, The Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy believes they can appoint their own state peace officers under the contractually shared authority of local government.

The nearest Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy property is over 26 driving miles away. They're going to send a someone with questionable police authority on 50 mile round trips to make periodic checks of a surf spot? Give me a break. It looks like someone's hand is in the till here.
                  *Feverishly checks the penal and government codes*

This appears to be correct. I learned something new today
                  Other officer: Oh that's right, I forgot, you're God's gift to police work.
                  Me: At least someone recognizes it.

Turns out basic police work isn't so hard, you just have to leave the station.

Comment

L-1 has been on this for a few years. I'm interested as well...can't WAIT to see the final imploding.

Comment

MCRA has a contract for a ranger services with Rancho Palos Verdes.

Here is one of the older contracts I could find for them. http://www.pvpwatch.com/documents/Ra...actRenewal.pdf

Comment

I fear it will be a long time until it implodes. The Conservancy got a Deputy AG to tell them they can pretty much do what they want and they have been going off the rails for years.

They wrote their own rules as administrative law and created their own administrative law court with their own Administrative Law Judges to hear cases, taking them outside the realm of the real justice system. Violate the law in their parks and you will get written a citation for violation of an administrative law that mimics state law. The matter will then be heard in their kangaroo court instead of a real one.

They even went so far as to install stop sign cameras in their parking lots and mail tickets to violators. Outside agencies see a marked unit with reds & blues and exempt plates and it never dawns on them to suspect these guys aren't the real thing.

Comment

This from MRCA website, click on the ordinance and it takes you to there full listings:

§ 1.2. Purpose.
                          (a) The Mountains Recreation and Conservation Authority employs park rangers who are peace officers pursuant to Penal Code § 830.31(b) to protect the parks and other
                          property of the Authority and preserve the peace therein. Authority rangers may, in addition to enforcing state law, local ordinances, this Ordinance, and conditions of use on parkland, may also enforce Public Resources Code §§ 33211.5 and 33211.6 for properties owned or subject to the management of the Santa Monica Mountains
                          Conservancy pursuant to reciprocal management agreement(s) with the Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy. The Authority also employs uniformed public officers pursuant to Public Resources §5786.17(c)) who are authorized to enforce the provisions of this Ordinance on parkland owned or managed by the Authority. In order to avoid confusion to
                          the public and to ensure uniformity of management, where such a management agreement applies, this Ordinance shall be applicable to parkland of the Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy. The Authority, pursuant to contractual agreements to provide park ranger services to other public entities, may also enforce this Ordinance on parkland or other property owned or managed by said public entities. This Ordinance may be
                          enforced by any duly authorized California Peace Officer, or by a National Park Service Law Enforcement Ranger as authorized by California law.

(b) Outside the Santa Monica Mountains Zone and Rim of the Valley Trail Corridor, rangers of the Authority must rely exclusively on state law and local ordinances that in
                          many instances do not provide sufficient protection for park visitors or the natural resources of parkland. The Authority finds that the adoption of the provisions of this
                          Ordinance will provide additional enforcement authority needed to provide effective management of parkland.

So L1 are the police officers at Meadows field in Bakersfield, Kern county, not peace officers because they are not listed on the POST Website? granted it's hard to find any info on the MRCA public safety side be it the Rangers or fire department. I've seen their rigs and looked them up. the site has no info on how to apply or job descriptionsearch. I think that's what causes all the mystery. in today's day and age one should be able to find out some information.
                          I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Originally posted by moparfan View Post
                            This from MRCA website, click on the ordinance and it takes you to there full listings:

§ 1.2. Purpose.
                            (a) The Mountains Recreation and Conservation Authority employs park rangers who are peace officers pursuant to Penal Code § 830.31(b) to protect the parks and other
                            property of the Authority and preserve the peace therein. Authority rangers may, in addition to enforcing state law, local ordinances, this Ordinance, and conditions of use on parkland, may also enforce Public Resources Code §§ 33211.5 and 33211.6 for properties owned or subject to the management of the Santa Monica Mountains
                            Conservancy pursuant to reciprocal management agreement(s) with the Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy. The Authority also employs uniformed public officers pursuant to Public Resources §5786.17(c)) who are authorized to enforce the provisions of this Ordinance on parkland owned or managed by the Authority. In order to avoid confusion to
                            the public and to ensure uniformity of management, where such a management agreement applies, this Ordinance shall be applicable to parkland of the Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy. The Authority, pursuant to contractual agreements to provide park ranger services to other public entities, may also enforce this Ordinance on parkland or other property owned or managed by said public entities. This Ordinance may be
                            enforced by any duly authorized California Peace Officer, or by a National Park Service Law Enforcement Ranger as authorized by California law.

(b) Outside the Santa Monica Mountains Zone and Rim of the Valley Trail Corridor, rangers of the Authority must rely exclusively on state law and local ordinances that in
                            many instances do not provide sufficient protection for park visitors or the natural resources of parkland. The Authority finds that the adoption of the provisions of this
                            Ordinance will provide additional enforcement authority needed to provide effective management of parkland.

So L1 are the police officers at Meadows field in Bakersfield, Kern county, not peace officers because they are not listed on the POST Website? granted it's hard to find any info on the MRCA public safety side be it the Rangers or fire department. I've seen their rigs and looked them up. the site has no info on how to apply or job descriptionsearch. I think that's what causes all the mystery. in today's day and age one should be able to find out some information.
                            One doesn't have to be certified by POST to be employed within certain categories of peace officer. Just have dat 832 cert.
                            Other officer: Oh that's right, I forgot, you're God's gift to police work.
                            Me: At least someone recognizes it.

Turns out basic police work isn't so hard, you just have to leave the station.

Comment

I am not familiar with Meadows Field and can't speak to their situation. However, PC 830.31(b) grants peace officer authority to persons designated by a local agency as a park ranger and regular employed and paid in that capacity. Conservancy Rangers are employed by the state and not a local agency and therefore are not covered by this section.

What has occurred is that the Conservancy has signed Joint Powers Agreements (JPA) with several local park districts who (among other things) are authorized to appoint local peace officers to protect their respective parks under PC 830.31(b). A JPA is a formal, legal agreement between two or more public agencies that share a common power and want to jointly implement programs, build facilities, or deliver services. Officials from those public agencies formally approve a cooperative arrangement.

In this case, the Conservancy has twisted the JPA to bypass the legislature. They have interpreted it as granting them the authority of the other local park districts who are signatories to the JPA, to appoint the Conservancy's State Rangers as local peace officers. The problem is, the Conservancy is not a local agency, it is a state agency and Conservancy parkland is not a local park, it is a state park that is separate from the state park system.

Now, appointing Conservancy Rangers as local peace officers under a JPA would not be inappropriate if they were patrolling local parks (although it would be an inappropriate gift of public funds). However, claiming the authority of local government under a JPA to appoint state employees as local peace officers (whose Legislated mission is to police local parks) and then have them police state parks instead, strains credibility.

The only glue that holds this together is that 20 years ago the Conservancy got a Deputy AG to give them an informal opinion that they could do this. When in state government you utter the words, "I got someone in the AG's office to sign off on this," no one questions what you do.

Moparfan - as a side issue, call the Conservancy Rangers up, ask them for two things and see what kind of a response you get. Ask them for their NCIC number and ask them to mail you a copy of their policy for handling citizen's complaints. I'm betting they don't have either.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6860 users online. 389 members and 6471 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X