300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Return From Retirement

Does anyone have any information on returning to police work after being medically retired? I know I have to see a Doc and get cleared then apply for reinstatement from PERS but other than that any info? How do PD's view your return? Are you are off limits because of the past injury and retirement?

All of that aside, have you been retired for more than three years?

If so, you may have to go through the POST requal 138 hour course.
    "Get this and get it straight! Crime is a sucker's road and those who travel it wind up in the gutter, the prison, or the grave. There's no other end. They never learn."

Comment

Check with PORAC before you do anything. The Government Code says that if PERS cancels your disability retirement and you have reached retirement age (50), you remain retired but lose the tax free status from your pension. OTOH, if you are under 50, the Government Code says you have a blanket right to immediate reinstatement to your old rank.

However, there was an incident in Northern California several years ago that left things in limbo. A Northern California PD Lieutenant who was under 50, had his disability pension cancelled by PERS. Prior to retirement he had been a real PITA to his department so rather than immediately reinstate him, they said he would get the next lieutenant's vacancy whenever it came open sometime in the future, provided he first passed a new background, poly (and maybe a physical agility). Obviously this was not an immediate reinstatement as intended by the law. PORAC took the matter to court on his behalf, the court sided with the city and bad case law was born. I believe the guy went several years without a pension or a job before he got reinstated.

PORAC sponsored legislation that said if this ever happened in the future, PERS would have to continue to pay an officers pension until he is actually given his job back. Unfortunately, I don't remember if it was enacted or not, so check with them.

Also talk to your workers comp attorney. While he is skilled at getting you a pension, he should be equally skilled in reinstatement rights.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Thanks for the info guys but I was looking for answers about how other departments would feel about hiring someone who has been medically retired then got cleared by a doctor to return to police work. I would never go back to my old department...to many problems.

Comment

Originally posted by SOCALCOP
          Thanks for the info guys but I was looking for answers about how other departments would feel about hiring someone who has been medically retired then got cleared by a doctor to return to police work. I would never go back to my old department...to many problems.

go to a local school PD as an admin.Sgt or dispatcher ,or find a state job- say DMH hospital Police officer,or ABC,or something-"dbl" dip for a retirement-why put yourself back into mashing a patrol car around at 2am?
          "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Originally posted by DOAcop38
            find a state job- say DMH hospital Police officer
            DOA Cop,

OMG, wash your mouth out with soap! Those guys work unarmed while in uniform and driving a marked unit in metropolitan areas. They are severely understaffed and take direction from civilian hospital administrators who know nothing about police work or the law.

Socalcop,

The fact that you are giving up reinstatement rights with your old agency and are looking elsewhere will be a big red flag. I have no doubt that your background investigator at the new agency will be told to take an extra hard look when checking with your old employer, to see if you were a problem child or retired to avoid discipline.

Medically, I think you will be looked at as damaged goods. Under law, a doctor certifying you as fit guarantees your old job back, but it doesn't guarantee you a job with a new agency. Even though you are healed enough to return, the fact that you did sustain an injury may make you more susceptible to being injured there again, than someone who has never sustained that type of injury before. While you old agency may be stuck with you as a matter of law, your injury history may be a valid DQ factor with a new agency.

If you are planning on having your own doctor certify you as fit just to get back in the game, I would give it some long and hard thought. You may find yourself unemployable in a sworn law enforcement position and with your pension + CCW gone, could wind up stuck with a private sector job that pays less than what your retirement did.

If you absolutely feel the itch to go back, return to your old agency, stay there and lie low for one to two years and then apply elsewhere. The fact that you are now working as a cop could help sway doctors at the new agency who might otherwise DQ you.

Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by L-1
              DOA Cop,

OMG, wash your mouth out with soap! Those guys work unarmed while in uniform and driving a marked unit in metropolitan areas. They are severely understaffed and take direction from civilian hospital administrators who know nothing about police work or the law.
              !

????? My cousin is supposed to be on the list to be hired (either Patton State,or Metropolitan); he had an older Filipino Sgt "sell" that job as laid back back and good OT( which I questioned ,being that its a "state" gig).I only posted it as an Idea based on what I was"told"-guess they are hard up for recruits too,so of course they'll sell the Dept.Not knocking the work they do( handling dangerous 5150 WICs) but I (wrongly) figured it would be a "less" intense type of duty........
              "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

The biggest problem is hospital administrators who tend to substitute their personal philosophy for the law or professional police procedures.

A good example was an incident several years ago in which a violent inmate escaped from Atascadero State Hospital, commandeered a vehicle and tried to run a hospital police officer down in one of the parking lots. In self defense, the officer fired shots into the vehicle but did not hit the suspect, who continued on into the city.

The hospital administrator fired the officer, claiming that he had no right to shoot at the vehicle just because the inmate was trying to run him down. The officer appealed to the State Personnel Board and eventually won his job back. In reinstating the hospital cop, the hearing officer wrote that he could not understand what kind of attitude the hospital administrator was trying to instill in her officers by firing a cop for defending his own life.

The officers have minimal 832 training and as a matter of hospital practice, anything beyond a minor incident gets turned over to the local PD or SO to handle. This prevents the officers from gaining any meaningful expertise in police work and creates the impression with peer agencies that they are generally incompetent by virtue of the fact that they turn everything over to the locals.

Comment

Wow, outside of basic, I was this close to going through the whole process with Atascadero. I am glad I didn't.
                  "Get this and get it straight! Crime is a sucker's road and those who travel it wind up in the gutter, the prison, or the grave. There's no other end. They never learn."

Comment

Originally posted by ejay
                    Wow, outside of basic, I was this close to going through the whole process with Atascadero. I am glad I didn't.
                    And then you became a TO???? Almost as bad. Oh well, at least you had the good sense to get out of that one, too. (GD&R)

Comment

Well, what shyed me away from the state hospital was the personality of the recruiter. The guy seemed like he was looking for a specific kind of person that wouldn't ask questions.

Comment

Originally posted by ejay
                        Well, what shyed me away from the state hospital was the personality of the recruiter. The guy seemed like he was looking for a specific kind of person that wouldn't ask questions.
                        Never mind (deleted). Misunderstood your message. (G)
                        Last edited by L-1; 09-19-2006, 03:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DOAcop38
                          go to a local school PD as an admin.Sgt or dispatcher ,or find a state job- say DMH hospital Police officer,or ABC,or something-"dbl" dip for a retirement-why put yourself back into mashing a patrol car around at 2am?

Whaaat?

Go to a school pd because they don't mash around in a patrol car at 2 am? Bro, I thought you knew better. You must not be talking about the L.A. School PD right? That's 24/7 in the ghetto. Not a good place for a medical retiree.
                          God made perfect cops.......The rest he put in cars.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8865 users online. 297 members and 8568 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X