300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LA county probation question

I know deputy probation officers are considered sworn officers, what about Detention service officers? I mailed in an app a few months ago and got a letter today to take the written. I'll have my bachelors so if I do go w/ probation I'd want to become a PO later down the road

I'm also in the latter stages of getting hired by the CDC (CA Dept Corrections), any advice which one would be a better field to work in. (Although there are both very similar, if I went w/ the CDC it would be as an adult CO until I went to parole, LA county I believe you start w/ juveniles)

Originally posted by worf
    I know deputy probation officers are considered sworn officers, what about Detention service officers? I mailed in an app a few months ago and got a letter today to take the written. I'll have my bachelors so if I do go w/ probation I'd want to become a PO later down the road

I'm also in the latter stages of getting hired by the CDC (CA Dept Corrections), any advice which one would be a better field to work in. (Although there are both very similar, if I went w/ the CDC it would be as an adult CO until I went to parole, LA county I believe you start w/ juveniles)

"apples and oranges"- Corrections Officers deal with suspects in an institution,many of them the most violent and anti social folks in the world;they ave peace officers ,carry weapons ( sometimes on duty and off duty) and have positions such as SORT(PrisonSWAT unit) gang invs,warrant detail, FTOs K-9s,Dets.from there you can be a parole agent and chase those same a-holes around the various cities they go back to.Probation officer- has misd and felony charges under his control- the difference? People in parole from prisions are convicted and their rights are takne away,people on probation agree to having certain right taken away to stay out of jail.Probation officers are more administrative operations than parole officers,although various counties Probation officers have psecial warrant units and gang inv units.and only a few Porbation Depts allow their P/Os to carry on duty weapons ,so alot of times ,particularly if its L.A. you will be unarmed and dealing with a felon.The probation Dept operates juvie camps and they have a lower tier probation officer working those locations -residential officers or counselors. The Detention Officer- i don't believe is a ful status peace officer.If you want to be a probation officer -apply directly for the job via the county web site-www.co.la.ca.us
    "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Originally posted by DOAcop38
      "apples and oranges"- Corrections Officers deal with suspects in an institution,many of them the most violent and anti social folks in the world;they ave peace officers ,carry weapons ( sometimes on duty and off duty) and have positions such as SORT(PrisonSWAT unit) gang invs,warrant detail, FTOs K-9s,Dets.from there you can be a parole agent and chase those same a-holes around the various cities they go back to.Probation officer- has misd and felony charges under his control- the difference? People in parole from prisions are convicted and their rights are takne away,people on probation agree to having certain right taken away to stay out of jail.Probation officers are more administrative operations than parole officers,although various counties Probation officers have psecial warrant units and gang inv units.and only a few Porbation Depts allow their P/Os to carry on duty weapons ,so alot of times ,particularly if its L.A. you will be unarmed and dealing with a felon.The probation Dept operates juvie camps and they have a lower tier probation officer working those locations -residential officers or counselors. The Detention Officer- i don't believe is a ful status peace officer.If you want to be a probation officer -apply directly for the job via the county web site-www.co.la.ca.us
      do you know how difficult it is to get into parole? I've heard from some people you can automatically take the test after 2 yrs of being a CO, don't know how true that is though

Comment

Originally posted by worf

Probation Officer from Nor Cal. Yes, we're sworn peace officers with full arrest powers, probationer, parolee, or not. We're armed, on and off-duty. I can't imagine doing what we do unarmed, but I know there are a few counties in Califiornia that don't arm their PO's...INSANE. Every person I deal with is a convicted felon...many on parole. We toss trailers every day with our Sheriff's Office and local PD's...very fortunate to have a tight partnership with them. It's a win-win when Probation partners with other local agencies. We have P.O.'s assigned to several county task forces as well.

Good luck in your career! Probation Officer or Parole Agent, both great gigs. We work with our area Parole Agent all the time, great guy. He started within CDC as a Correctional Officer then applied for Parole. He loves his job. You're right about both jobs being very similar. Many of my felony probationers are also on CDC parole...they pick up new cases while on parole, ridiculous!! As a result, we conduct a lot of multiple agency searches and warrant services (Probation, Parole, S.O., etc.) As you know, Probation Officer does require a Bachelors Degree in most counties. Sounds like you'll have yours, very cool!

Hell, give Probation a shot. It's a great job. I've been a P.O. for 6 years, I've never had a boring day. I'm very fortunate to work for a Chief that understands the reality of our job and equips us accordingly. He wants us in the field every day putting the pressure on our little angels (felons). He's very law enforcement minded. I mention that because some county probation departments take a more "rehabilitation, social service" approach. I'm all for seeing my felons get their life on the right track, but reality is reality. Be careful where you apply. Like I said, you couldn't pay me enough to do what we do unarmed.

Good luck, be safe, and have fun!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11684 users online. 393 members and 11291 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X