300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hbliam
    The academy hours required, FTO training, advanced officer training, etc is for the most part considerably more in CA then elsewhere. ........Or compare it to our Reserve Training. The before mentioned guy had approximately 1100 hours of training (40 hours*4 weeks*7 months) and he's completely off training. A CA Level I Reserve in my neck of the woods has approximately 2000 hours of training to drive solo.
    You forgot to mention that the 2,000 hr is a MINIMUM, before you can hit the street as a line reserve, and often our Ca "reserves" are better trained than many major Municipal PD line officer in other states

Not to mention that 5 years of experiance in a major City PD (could be anywhere I would guess) is worth 20 years anywhere else. I did a ride along today in a sleepy little beach city that has a total of 32 sworn. 4 hours no calls for service. I asked how many they have a day and he said maybe 20 Citywide. I handle that many calls on a slow night...by myself.
    did you go to Hermosa Bch PD??? lololol!!! We recently had a 20 something reserve ridealong with us- he was"shocked" at how busy we were-go figure...They just barely got a raise, but are still behind alot of people.
    "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Originally posted by DOAcop38
      You forgot to mention that the 2,000 hr is a MINIMUM, before you can hit the street as a line reserve, and often our Ca "reserves" are better trained than many major Municipal PD line officer in other states
      Technically it's 664 academy and 400 FTO min. hours per POST but I haven't found a PD that does that.

The other thing that's good about working a large CA PD as a Reserve is they expect you to act as a regular unit which means when the 187 was in my beat I took it. Good training.

did you go to Hermosa Bch PD??? lololol!!! We recently had a 20 something reserve ridealong with us- he was"shocked" at how busy we were-go figure...They just barely got a raise, but are still behind alot of people.

Nope further south but I'm sure it would be much of the same thing. I've decided to stay put where I am.

Comment

Originally posted by alpha1906
        I am new to LE, so forgive my naivity. But why do you feel Tactics are not as good in the south as they are out in California? Not meaning to stereotype, but southerns are just as arnery as cowboys from Texas.
        The problem with CA is that pursuits are a spectator sport. If the summer olympics come here in a few years, they'll have pursuit competitions on the L.A. freeway. Want your fifteen minutes of fame on the evening news? Run from the cops in LA. And as previously said, the 9th Dist. Court of Appeals will vote against law and order absolutely every time. Then the public protests and has demonstrations if the suspect breaks a nail during the arrest. Sad situation.
        Three Stripes beats Four Aces.
        Retirement: You've Won the War when you're Paid to Stay at Home.

Comment

Don't forget that to maintain POST certification, you have to keep taking training classes.

Our department also has quarterly Quals for weapons.
          Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by willowdared
            Don't forget that to maintain POST certification, you have to keep taking training classes.
            Yeah, that's what advanced officer training is...POST mandates 24 hours every two years. We get 60 hours every two years.

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2
              Obviously the longer the pursuit goes the greater chances of an accident.
              So maybe you terminate the pursuit (as in, stop pursuing, not PIT or ramming) for all but the most violent offenders? At least that's the answer for our sergeant's test.
              My posts are sometimes educated, sometimes informed, and sometimes blowing smoke...but they are mine and mine alone and do not reflect on anyone else (especially my employer).

Comment

Originally posted by firemanjb
                So maybe you terminate the pursuit (as in, stop pursuing, not PIT or ramming) for all but the most violent offenders? At least that's the answer for our sergeant's test.
                A pursuit can be terminated at anytime by the officer or W/C. During the pursuit, you are required to give updates.

Part of our responsibilty is not to get tunnel vision and realize when it's time to terminate it. Just as important is the violation for which the pursuit. Are you going to chase "balls to the wall" for a traffic infraction? No!

It's all about common sense and making sound decisions...Because there's a possibility of bad consequences down the road.
                This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by hbliam
                  Yeah, that's what advanced officer training is...POST mandates 24 hours every two years. We get 60 hours every two years.
                  I wasn't sure how many hours sworn officers had to take. Dispatchers are also required to take the 24 hours every two years.
                  Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7946 users online. 223 members and 7723 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X