300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious Question

This may sound silly but I am curious. I see more TV aerial coverage of car chases on Califronia Highways than anywher eeles. Is ther ea reason for this? Why are there so many car chaseson CA highway and how do they manage to get caught on TV?

For some damn reason LA cops and CHP let these JERK OFFS drive forever!!!!They let them get out of the cars and do a little dance in the middle of the street.They let them do whatever they want to until they finally wreck into someone,get out on foot or give up.I have never understood that.Every where else they try to ram their car off the road,if they stop and get out tehy get knocked on their *** and everyone else in the vehicle gets extracted through the small wing window!!!
    FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bigg Dogg
      For some damn reason LA cops and CHP let these JERK OFFS drive forever!!!!They let them get out of the cars and do a little dance in the middle of the street.They let them do whatever they want to until they finally wreck into someone,get out on foot or give up.I have never understood that.Every where else they try to ram their car off the road,if they stop and get out tehy get knocked on their *** and everyone else in the vehicle gets extracted through the small wing window!!!
      They get chased until they come to a safe area to try a PIT. When they get out we don't bum rush them like TX does because it's bad tactics.

Comment

So you follow them around like a parade for hours upon end???Thats not a pursuit,thats a parade!!Down in our neck of the woods,we get them off the streets as soon as possible to keep them from hurting someone.
        FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Comment

Because the media fly in helos.

Following a car by helo is safer for the type of traffic in SoCal. Safer for the public that is! You might be able to outrun the ground units but you are NOT going to outrun a helo.

Hmm, they never taught "ramming" in EVOC. Not every dept allows the Pit manuever!

And just when you pull the person through the wing window...you remember the "eye in the sky" is broadcasting it live on tv. opps!
          This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2
            Because the media fly in helos.

Following a car by helo is safer for the type of traffic in SoCal. Safer for the public that is! You might be able to outrun the ground units but you are NOT going to outrun a helo.

Hmm, they never taught "ramming" in EVOC. Not every dept allows the Pit manuever!

And just when you pull the person through the wing window...you remember the "eye in the sky" is broadcasting it live on tv. opps!

So which one looks better,let the guy run until he crashes into a family coming home from church or do as you are trained and get them stopped and extract then though the window,end the pursuit,make the arrest and get back to work intead of following some punk for 4 hours around the same few blocks in LA.
            FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Comment

Obviously the longer the pursuit goes the greater chances of an accident.

You must take into consideration, the violation which warranted the pursuit. Time of day, area, road conditions, weather conditions is also a key.

So I guess where you are from you can ram a car! What kind of control do YOU have when you ram a car? Does your airbags deploy or does your door get crunched and you can't get out?

The only parade I know of is OJ....and I don't know why they did that! But every dept is different with their pursuit policy. We can still pursue..other agencies cannot.
              This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

do as you are trained and get them stopped and extract then though the window,
                I always get a kick out of you guys running up on a fleeing felon and standing in front of his window while you "extract him". Ever think they may have a gun with them?

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2
                  Obviously the longer the pursuit goes the greater chances of an accident.

You must take into consideration, the violation which warranted the pursuit. Time of day, area, road conditions, weather conditions is also a key.

So I guess where you are from you can ram a car! What kind of control do YOU have when you ram a car? Does your airbags deploy or does your door get crunched and you can't get out?

The only parade I know of is OJ....and I don't know why they did that! But every dept is different with their pursuit policy. We can still pursue..other agencies cannot.

Actually I have never slammed a car or PIT manuvered a car.We always let a Trooper handle that.And I have never had to help a Trooper get out a unit from pitting a car.You try to do it on the passenger front fender of the patrol unit.The drivers door should be free from damage.
                  FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by hbliam
                    I always get a kick out of you guys running up on a fleeing felon and standing in front of his window while you "extract him". Ever think they may have a gun with them?

Trust me,Us guys out of Cali get a kick out of 20 patrol units following a car around the same block 20 times and letting the guy get out and play to the crowd and do a little dance for the camera.And by the way,we have guns too.Especially here in Texas and Oklahoma.AND WE USE EM!!!*said in a Ron White voice*

If you want to see how we stop pursuits,search for the OHP pursuit in OKC from a few months ago.They spun that guy about 7 times.
                    Last edited by Bigg Dogg; 09-12-2006, 03:37 AM.
                    FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Comment

Trust me,Us guys out of Cali get a kick out of 20 patrol units following a car around the same block 20 times and letting the guy get out and play to the crowd and do a little dance for the camera.And by the way,we have guns too.Especially here in Texas and Oklahoma.AND WE USE EM!!!*said in a Ron White voice*

You are really into that ONE guy that danced aren't ya? I would surmise that of the 1000 times more pursuits we have then you good old boys, we take care of business more often then not.

And you can have all the guns you want at the wing window...still bad tactics.

Comment

It's the same pursuit - they just show it over, and over, and over again!

I can't speak for the rest of Cali, but we have 5 network outlets here, and 2 have their own helicopters. The pursuit coverage provides them a welcome break from covering whatever traffic accident has backed up traffic for 3 hours.
                        Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

So which one looks better,let the guy run until he crashes into a family coming home from church or do as you are trained and get them stopped and extract then though the window,end the pursuit,make the arrest and get back to work intead of following some punk for 4 hours around the same few blocks in LA.
                          Oh, you didn't know? this is California! hollywoodland!!! And we are all part of the "action" -TV producers and writers that were once Police Sgts(joe wambaugh,Gene roddenberry) ,beautiful Pam anderson look alikes in suped up musclecar blk and whites,T.J Hooker and Ponch (Wil shatner and eric estrada) standing on the side walk with que cards as we pass,reminding us of the post pursuit "hood slides" and to watch and make sure our hair/make up is just right,or we'll have to start over again on the next "take"!

We have a very liberal court system out here (under the Fed 9th circuit) and the eyes of the major media is always on us.Plus unlike alot of texas- once you drive out of the major metro areas you are -guess where?-"back" in a major metro area,so PIT techniques and car blocks/boxing techniques ,like in TEXAS would only spell definite injured civilians as well as officers/suspects. i usually have "love" for you big dogg, and my roots as "ah'm texas born",but no offense-we use your veh.stop tapes and car footage as "how not to" training videos,i.e. the numerous DPS officers shot during ****poor vehicle stops and searches, or that last shooting incident where the officer(deputy) ALLOWED a man to get out of his car and approach with a rifle just becuase he-suspect -was an Old man;that ended in a dead officer,but any rookie here in Calif would have "DUMPED" granpa the moment he even put his hands on a gun.all in all !Texas L.E. tactics are better than the stuff they do back east or in many parts of the south , but I wouldn't compare them to Californias.also,alot of the tactics are based on what officers can and cannot do according to legal statutes and Dept policy,both here and where you are............
                          "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Originally posted by hbliam
                            You are really into that ONE guy that danced aren't ya? I would surmise that of the 1000 times more pursuits we have then you good old boys, we take care of business more often then not.

And you can have all the guns you want at the wing window...still bad tactics.
                            .. I can't help but when i've backed a unit or local agency in pursuit,even been in a few myself,i think of how to end it and whether or not its going to be a fatal OIS.when I see video footage of a pursuit from the midwest or south, i suddenly here myself clucking out the tune to "dueling banjos",or thinking about the "dukes of H***ard" theme- and just waiting to see the bad guy in his version of the Gen'rul Lee go flying 30 ft in the air or Sheriff Jimmy joe crashing in a creek -(thats "dat der' crik" for ya'll suth'urn boyz)
                            "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Originally posted by alpha1906
                              This may sound silly but I am curious. I see more TV aerial coverage of car chases on Califronia Highways than anywher eeles. Is ther ea reason for this? Why are there so many car chaseson CA highway and how do they manage to get caught on TV?
                              "Bread and circuses"-the masses in CA ,and now the nation-thanks to MSNBC, and fox channe;,drool when they see Calif car chases- it fills the news channels ,that would otherwise end in 10 mins ,or offers potential entertainment and ratings for the stations..

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12922 users online. 487 members and 12435 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X