300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anti-speeding complaint??? (RANT)

Has anyone else ever gotten pulled into the Sgt's office to respond to a complaint from an OFF-DUTY officer (read SGT.) from another agency, COMPLAINING that you (who happen to be riding a marked police motorcycle) are tying up commute traffic by telling other motorists that the speed limit is 55mph in a 55mph zone?

I had a discussion with my supervisor this morning for just that reason. I can't believe that an officer from another agency had the audacity to call my supervisor, and COMPLAIN that I was tying up traffic by "riding 55mph" and hand gesturing to other motorists that the speed limit is 55 in that zone.

I guess the next complaint will be that I'm riding over the posted speed limit (speeding) so that officer doesn't have to worry about it ....

By the way ... if that officer/Sgt. is reading this, feel free to contact me next time instead of my supervisor ... your complaint is both inaccurate and makes you look bad. You know where I work and how to find me. If you continue to have a problem with me enforcing or educating the public on traffic laws and violations, leave earlier and you won't have to see me on the freeway.
    I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

You were right in what you did. Unfortunately, people like the off-duty sgt. are everywhere. Sounds like he was having a bad day, late for his coffee and donut, and you were his target. Sad, actually. Don't compromise your ethics to appease an idiot.
    Three Stripes beats Four Aces.
    Retirement: You've Won the War when you're Paid to Stay at Home.

Comment

Here's a question; why were you pulled into the sgt's office and why did your sgt even entertain the other alleged sgt and not tell him to go f himself?
      surly?? screw you....

Comment

Don't get all bent out of shape- As long as the "beef" doesn't go into your package, just chalk it up like any other ctzn gripe- you know that there are "HATERS"(ghetto vocab) even in the L.E. world! some local or area Cops may actually LOOK DOWN on your dept or be jealous of your organization(and you'd never even know it) ! Not every copper out there has that "brotherhood" attitude, and a Bev.Hills PD cop once called in and complained that my co workers and I had "no reason" to be out stopping folks on the 405 Fwy or redirecting traffic- he never stopped to see what we were doing,just called in the gripe mainly becuase he was late for work.He didn't know that we were backing a neighboring PD ( El Segundo ,CA PD) who had only 2 one man units and were attempting a felony stop on a Wanted/"armed and dangerous" vehicle with 5 occupants!Here in Ca. a Cop is a Peace officer anywhere throughout the whole state and can make an arrest at any time,irregardless of the jursidiction. but you should follow Dept policy and guidelines in regards to low grade crimes and traffic /motor vehicle violations out side your area of patrol.Even when on duty ,if I'm driving to and from an assignment and out side of my patrol area ,I'll only stop someone if they present a SERIOUS safety hazard,or if a crime is in progress-even then I'll request the local agency to handle,and detain suspects for them.......Otherwise continue to be a professional and fairly enforce the law.
        Last edited by DOAcop38; 08-18-2006, 06:48 PM.
        "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Originally posted by DOAcop38
          Don't get all bent out of shape- As long as the "beef" doesn't go into your package, just chalk it up like any other ctzn gripe- you know that there are "HATERS"(ghetto vocab) even in the L.E. world! some local or area Cops may actually LOOK DOWN on your dept or be jealous of your organization(and you'd never even know it) ! Not every copper out there has that "brotherhood" attitude, and a Bev.Hills PD cop once called in and complained that my co workers and I had "no reason" to be out stopping folks on the 405 Fwy or redirecting traffic- he never stopped to see what we were doing,just called in the gripe mainly becuase he was late for work.He didn't know that we were backing a neighboring PD ( El Segundo ,CA PD) who had only 2 one man units and were attempting a felony stop on a Wanted/"armed and dangerous" vehicle with 5 occupants!Here in Ca. a Cop is a Peace officer anywhere throughout the whole state and can make an arrest at any time,irregardless of the jursidiction. but you should follow Dept policy and guidelines in regards to low grade crimes and traffic /motor vehicle violations out side your are of patrol.Even when on duty ,if I'm driving to and from an assignment and out side of my patrol area ,I'll only stop someone if they present a SERIOUS safety hazard,or if a crime is in progress-even then I'll request the local agency to handle,and detain suspects for them.......Otherwise continue to be a professional and fiarly enforce the law.
          Wow, I just got teary eyed.
          "Get this and get it straight! Crime is a sucker's road and those who travel it wind up in the gutter, the prison, or the grave. There's no other end. They never learn."

Comment

I still think about it everytime I'm on that particular stretch of roadway, but I try not to let it get to me. I guess the way I look at it is, if you are off duty, in your personal vehicle, you are the same as everyone else out there .... meaning, if you want the "professional courtesey" granted, show some courtesey and respect for the marked units that are out on the street.

I usually don't take action unless it is something way out of the ordinary, or way out of line. I tend to believe that 80mph in a 55 zone, even on the highway, is a little uncalled for, especially when the vehicle you are gaining on is a fully marked police vehicle, regardless of what jurisdiction the marked vehicle is from. I hate when the first words out of another officer's mouth are "I didn't think you had the authority ..."

I'm glad to know I'm not alone, however, as a shift Sgt. from our department had the same thing happen to him on that same stretch of roadway, where the violator was doing 92 in a 55, after passing the Sgt ... who was in a marked patrol car. He got the "I didn't know ..." excuse too ... and the violator was a member of a local Sheriff's Dept.

It's funny how so many people (including LEOs) in California think that ONLY the CHP can make stops on highways ... oh well.
            I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Gotta love it.....it is going to happen no matter where you go. That same guy will be in the officer complaining that your agency doesn't enforce laws when his wife or kid are killed by a speeding driver....

Comment

The guy who complained is an idiot. Fortunately most cops aren't idiots. Screw him, your supervisor shouldn't have even mentioned it to you. Forget it!

Comment

I usually just chalk crap like that up to haters that are jealous of Motorcops. After all, not everyone can be a Motorcop.
                  God made perfect cops.......The rest he put in cars.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8382 users online. 198 members and 8184 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X