300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So...What are the benefits of LAPD?

Hello all, I have been currently looking into lots of PD's/SD's. The first one I looked at was LAPD, and I was very close to applying, but after doing research, I can only find negative things about the department.

-Salary Doesnt Match the cost of living(Most have to life 2 hours away from where they actually work)

-Poor Advancement Rank wise

-Very poor retirement plan(if any)

There were also a few minor problems, but I expect their with every department.

Just curious though could anyone give me some reasons why somone would want to work for this PD?

its not all that bad.....(just let me get the signing "credit&quot

Benefits????? didn't you know!??/ you're SUPPOSED to work for free!!!LOLOLOL
    1) LAPD doesn't have the worst benefits-check again, they're benefits are quite comparable
    2)They work you to DEATH- but you can ppromote FASTER in LAPD than any other Dept around ( except for the "specialized"/district Depts like Airports PD,Port PD,L.A. School PDs)
    3) lots of areas of the city to work- all you have to do is put in for it.
    4) Plenty of "inside jobs"-when they say (250) they mean (250)
    5)the Badge-say you work for a PD in CA, everyone replies- LAPD? even locally! LAPD officers have the "hookup" with Hollywood ( from the creator of Star Trek to Joe Wambaugh, to even the notorious Mark fuhrman )and almost everything else-work it right and you will NEVER go hungry ,even after you retire,people will offer you a job and $$$$ gigs
    6)"yes" pay sucks for the first five yrs,unlike alot of other So.Cal agencies, but the $$ gets better particularly after 10 yrs to retirement

PLUS- dude you're in Michigan! Nice state,but weather is awful and there currently are little or NO police jobs for young and assertive people.good place to retire to if you are outside Detroit and like to fish or hunt, and occasionally go to Il,OH,IN or over to Canada! Mich cop jobs pay about $35K/yr to start and housing prices are at $200K? CA ,its about $60K/yr and housing is $500K-both are about 5X the salary so how different is it?Its all about what you want to do and the type of future you want-happy with suburaban and rural Mi? great! Want a very progressive and vibrant(but high crime environment?) come West ,young man, Come West!!!
    P.S. theres Always AZ,and TX too....
    Last edited by DOAcop38; 08-15-2006, 12:06 AM.
    "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Originally posted by DOAcop38
      Benefits????? didn't you know!??/ you're SUPPOSED to work for free!!!LOLOLOL
      1) LAPD doesn't have the worst benefits-check again, they're benefits are quite comparable
      2)They work you to DEATH- but you can ppromote FASTER in LAPD than any other Dept around ( except for the "specialized"/district Depts like Airports PD,Port PD,L.A. School PDs)
      3) lots of areas of the city to work- all you have to do is put in for it.
      4) Plenty of "inside jobs"-when they say (250) they mean (250)
      5)the Badge-say you work for a PD in CA, everyone replies- LAPD? even locally! LAPD officers have the "hookup" with Hollywood ( from the creator of Star Trek to Joe Wambaugh, to even the notorious Mark fuhrman )and almost everything else-work it right and you will NEVER go hungry ,even after you retire,people will offer you a job and $$$$ gigs
      6)"yes" pay sucks for the first five yrs,unlike alot of other So.Cal agencies, but the $$ gets better particularly after 10 yrs to retirement

PLUS- dude you're in Michigan! Nice state,but weather is awful and there currently are little or NO police jobs for young and assertive people.good place to retire to if you are outside Detroit and like to fish or hunt, and occasionally go to Il,OH,IN or over to Canada! Mich cop jobs pay about $35K/yr to start and housing prices are at $200K? CA ,its about $60K/yr and housing is $500K-both are about 5X the salary so how different is it?Its all about what you want to do and the type of future you want-happy with suburaban and rural Mi? great! Want a very progressive and vibrant(but high crime environment?) come West ,young man, Come West!!!
      P.S. theres Always AZ,and TX too....
      Thanks for the great response , to answer on a few things back..
      Do you know much about the airport PD? I haven't heard much about it till lately with the terroist getting caught in UK. Sounds kind of interesting also.

Yea I live in Michigan, and your right about everything, weather sucks, so does LE recruitment at the moment. I live in Portage where the PD starts and 46,500, but housing and apartments are very cheap here in nice neighborhoods, for example you can get a 3+bedroom, with a acre back yard, 2 baths, finished basement 2 story, for about about 150K here. You can get a very nice apartment for about 450 a month for a 1 bedroom, and about 700 for a 2 bedroom. So it sounds very good, but if you look at the PD, you wont see one person under 30.

I also checked out Phoenix, Santa Monica PD, Las Vegas Metro PD, and Nashville Metro. Only bad thing I see with Phoenix and Texas and such is 120 degree weather... I hear its not very fun to wear a sweaty vest, giving you nice rashes all day

I see you didn't deny about the driving 2 hours back and forth so I'm guessing thats true for the most part. For some reason It doesnt seem to really bother people in Cali, so i guess its just somthing you get use to.
      Last edited by Chadwick; 08-15-2006, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chadwick
        Do you know much about the airport PD? I haven't heard much about it till lately with the terroist getting caught in UK. Sounds kind of interesting also.

Yea I live in Michigan, and your right about everything, weather sucks, so does LE recruitment at the moment. I live in Portage where the PD starts and 46,500, but housing and apartments are very cheap here in nice neighborhoods, for example you can get a 3+bedroom, with a acre back yard, 2 baths, finished basement 2 story, for about about 150K here. You can get a very nice apartment for about 450 a month for a 1 bedroom, and about 700 for a 2 bedroom. So it sounds very good, but if you look at the PD, you wont see one person under 30.

I also checked out Phoenix, Santa Monica PD, Las Vegas Metro PD, and Nashville Metro. Only bad thing I see with Phoenix and Texas and such is 120 degree weather... I hear its not very fun to wear a sweaty vest, giving you nice rashes all day

I see you didn't deny about the driving 2 hours back and forth so I'm guessing thats true for the most part. For some reason It doesnt seem to really bother people in Cali, so i guess its just somthing you get use to.

I'm a reserve in a City that touches LAPD territory and in my regular job I make about as much as a full time cop. I am also going to more then likely be full time in the next few months (and then keep my regular job as it's easy and I can set my own schedule). Anyway...I live 8 miles from the station. 15 minutes or so. Very, very few of the cops on my dept. live far away.

Yeah rent and houses are higher here then in Michigan but what do you expect. Michigan sucks. Of course it's cheap. My winter coat here is a long sleeve t-shirt.

And yes DOA knows a bit about LAXPD...he works there.

Comment

Chadwick, how about you come over to my Yahoo group and download all my academy notes and hiring info. I think you'll find a lot of what you need on there.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/
          "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by hbliam
            I'm a reserve in a City that touches LAPD territory and in my regular job I make about as much as a full time cop. I am also going to more then likely be full time in the next few months (and then keep my regular job as it's easy and I can set my own schedule).

you SURE you want to go "full time"? I'm trying to get AWAY from it !!!!(If you need an employee in your pvt business thats used to verbal abuse, belittling treatment from a supv, and slave like work conditions- I'm your man- just as long as I can take afternoon lunch breaks longer then 30 mins and have weekends off )
            "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Yep- I KNOW Airport PD all too WELL - Pain in the Butt "baby sitting job" for tourists with occassional violent crime,and lots of OT$$$ to make(you can dbl your yrly salary easily if you pace yourself).Work environment is actually laid back and suburban like,when the media or political pressure isn't on (and that pressure tends to be hypocritical or panicked at best -current "Fear" of explosive liquid substances being snuck onto a plane? they KNEW that 30 yrs ago and trained us for that potential threat-but the airlines and gov't NEVER did an damn thing about it until it hit the news recently!!!)

Anyway,My best friend retired LASD and is going back home to Mi.- you sure can get a nice spread there.but you need to concentrate on your future NOW.My advice is to come on out here for a week,find a "cheap" motel or hotel(not to seedy a neighborhood though) and tool around in a rent a wreck or the cheapest rental you can find- pick a few depts,large and small( you mentioned Santa Monica PD, good choice for a med sized city Dept) then file at least 5-6 apps and head home until they notify you.Check locally to see if LAPd is in Mi. testing( they were over in Chicago,Il testing).check here in O.com or Ca.post.gov for agencies you like -LVPD and LAPD are the most aggressive of the lot for the west coast,but Agencies like San diego co.Sheriffs,CHP,L.A. county Sheriffs,even the L.A. Unified School PD are actively ramrodding applicants thru.

P.S. take Pkagels offer up- join the group-you'll be able to connect with other people ,maybe even find someone in your area that'll deadhead it out here with you to test also..........

Comment

Hello all, I have been currently looking into lots of PD's/SD's. The first one I looked at was LAPD, and I was very close to applying, but after doing research, I can only find negative things about the department.

-Salary Doesnt Match the cost of living(Most have to life 2 hours away from where they actually work)

-Poor Advancement Rank wise

-Very poor retirement plan(if any)

There were also a few minor problems, but I expect their with every department.

Just curious though could anyone give me some reasons why somone would want to work for this PD?
                Add to your list the fact that you have to sign a five year deal to stay with them otherwise you owe them for your training plus academy costs!

Comment

Originally posted by CPDjock
                  Add to your list the fact that you have to sign a five year deal to stay with them otherwise you owe them for your training plus academy costs!
                  Wow didn't know that, pretty much like signing up for the military then. =)

Comment

Originally posted by CPDjock
                    That's only if you take a job with another California police department within those five years.

And no, not all of us have to travel two hours to get to work. Sure some of us do, but not many. There are over 9000 people on this department and all of us are able to live in the area without living in poverty. In fact, most of us do pretty well.

Comment

its not like LA cops aren't getting paid a decent amount. If you have your BA its really not bad at all. Sure housing is expensive but shop around.

Housing is expensive no matter what part of the country you are at.

Comment

Originally posted by hart21
                        Sure it is. My 50yo 1200 sq ft house in Lakewood, CA was sold for 550k. My 5yo 3040 sq ft house on a half acre creek lot in an exclusive area north of Dallas was bought for 225. The same house in a comparable area of SoCal would be about 1.25 million or more.
                        "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
                          Sure it is. My 50yo 1200 sq ft house in Lakewood, CA was sold for 550k. My 5yo 3040 sq ft house on a half acre creek lot in an exclusive area north of Dallas was bought for 225. The same house in a comparable area of SoCal would be about 1.25 million or more.

LOLOLOL!! PK- living the "real middle class" american dream!!!! you know that Lakewood pad of yours is probably now worth $700K + now.my So.Bay townhouse is about$450K now (bought a 250K)-maybe i should sell and head to TX !

Comment

Originally posted by hart21
                            its not like LA cops aren't getting paid a decent amount. If you have your BA its really not bad at all. Sure housing is expensive but shop around.

true- nobodies "Starving out here on the job"- the problem? alot of officers live beyond their means- they can afford a chevy pick up or a honda 4dr sedan, but they buy "pimped" out Denalis or BMWs-then they work a crap load of OT, buy a very over priced house with a large down payment, then battle that mortgage by trying to work more OT$$ .come out here ,get on "the job", save your pennies and buy smart- you'll do fine after a few yrs.....
                            Last edited by DOAcop38; 08-24-2006, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Get your 20 and then move east and work some small town. You might buy some land out here now though.

Originally posted by DOAcop38
                              LOLOLOL!! PK- living the "real middle class" american dream!!!! you know that Lakewood pad of yours is probably now worth $700K + now.my So.Bay townhouse is about$450K now (bought a 250K)-maybe i should sell and head to TX !

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10521 users online. 396 members and 10125 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X