Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you want an entry level job in San Diego...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • If you want an entry level job in San Diego...

    ...the Sheriff's Department cannot hire enough deputies. Yes, almost all are for the jails, some for the courts, and a few for patrol. They have more testing dates and are doing more things to speed up the process. It's possible to be done in 4 months.

    I went through the process a year or so ago, and wasn't passed by the psych. I just started again... took the written on Thursday. FWIW, they want you to register, and I was on "standby", but got right in. The room can handle about 60 applicants, and it was maybe half-full. The PHS is (supposedly) available on the web site (I say "supposedly" because it's a .dot not a .doc and what I got looked like the last two pages, not the whole thing) You can (supposedly) download it now and fill it out. When (if) they call you back for orientation, you can call the next day and get an appointment with your BI and shave a good 3 weeks off of the process.

    About the downloadable PHS... I use Firefox and OpenOffice.org It's possible that someone with IE and Office might get the whole packet. If you do, could you let me know? Maybe I could download it from you.

  • #2
    I just tried it, it downloaded as a .dot.doc and I could translate it into my Appleworks program. (I don't have Word)

    Try it again, maybe there was a glitch while downloading?

    PM me if it doesn't work, and I can try to save it in another format and e-mail it to you.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by jnojr
      ...

      I went through the process a year or so ago, and wasn't passed by the psych. I just started again... took the written on Thursday.
      Curious, did you appeal your psych DQ?
      Focused Recruit

      Comment


      • #4
        Pretty much everyone in San Diego County is hiring entry level right now.
        Get low, get ground, get tactical! Sprawl! Sprawl! Sprawl!

        Comment


        • #5
          hmmm i tested for both...The pay sucks for Courts/detentions at $17 per hour ($15 while in academy). I was called back for the Law Enforcement position but LASD picked me up before that. They appear to be a really good department to work for and i would much rather live in Diego than LA. Oh well everything happens for a reason i guess.
          Good luck...their written test was a little harder than most other exams IMO. They told me i needed to score above 85% to be considered for the Law Enforcement position but even though i scored 83% they called me months later.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Stugotz
            Curious, did you appeal your psych DQ?
            Yes. My appeal (the one i paid for) gave me a green light. The third said no.

            I give the psych exam even less credibility than the CVSA. It's tea-leaf reading, pure and simple. I just need to go again and get a different doc, or a doc who's had a better day, or wear a green shirt instead of a red one.

            My BI was surprised, and said that I should try again. She thought that maybe the departments requirements call for more aggression, maybe, since Deputy Sheriff's ride solo instead of with partners.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by willowdared
              I just tried it, it downloaded as a .dot.doc and I could translate it into my Appleworks program. (I don't have Word)

              Try it again, maybe there was a glitch while downloading?

              PM me if it doesn't work, and I can try to save it in another format and e-mail it to you.
              I was asked if I wanted to "Update all links?" That sounded good, so I'd said Yes. I tried again and said No, and the whole thing opens. It's super-hard to edit with OO.o, though. I'm playing around with some things now. I may just head over to a friend's place for a few hours and just use Word

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by cspy26
                hmmm i tested for both...The pay sucks for Courts/detentions at $17 per hour ($15 while in academy).
                Yeah, but it goes up pretty quickly. I think it's actually right around $40K in the jails after Academy. And once you're in the County system, you can move around.

                Good luck...their written test was a little harder than most other exams IMO. They told me i needed to score above 85% to be considered for the Law Enforcement position but even though i scored 83% they called me months later.
                I'm sure there's more to it than that. I don't recall ever seeing a score, but I'm sure I was in the 90s. Their test is much harder than CDCR, but not as hard as any police exams I've taken.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by jnojr
                  Yeah, but it goes up pretty quickly. I think it's actually right around $40K in the jails after Academy. And once you're in the County system, you can move around.
                  $40K compared to $52-56K with LASD..it would take over 4 years of service with Diego to match LASD's starting pay. Also, if you have a Bachelor's Degree San Diego wont reward you (5% increase) until AFTER four years of service, which is total BS if you have your BS..HAHA (ok whatever i thought it was funny)...I think they could care less if you have a AA/AS degree (guessing).

                  JNOJR..that is one cool lookin DOG.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by cspy26
                    $40K compared to $52-56K with LASD..it would take over 4 years of service with Diego to match LASD's starting pay. Also, if you have a Bachelor's Degree San Diego wont reward you (5% increase) until AFTER four years of service, which is total BS if you have your BS..HAHA (ok whatever i thought it was funny)...I think they could care less if you have a AA/AS degree (guessing).
                    Well, I don't have a degree, and I own a home in SD. I wouldn't move to LA for $50K-ish... I get that now in my current work.

                    JNOJR..that is one cool lookin DOG.
                    Cassie isn't even mine She's a friend's. Here's my current foster, Libby:

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by cspy26
                      $40K compared to $52-56K with LASD..it would take over 4 years of service with Diego to match LASD's starting pay. Also, if you have a Bachelor's Degree San Diego wont reward you (5% increase) until AFTER four years of service, which is total BS if you have your BS..HAHA (ok whatever i thought it was funny)...I think they could care less if you have a AA/AS degree (guessing).


                      Ya the pay in San Diego is ridiculous, and the fact that they don't even compensate you for having any type of degree, especially a bachelors, is even more ridiculous. Almost every other dept compensates you for that, especially dept's up in LA.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        CDPO Orientation (san diego county)

                        Hey everyone

                        Im new to this forum.. I just got a letter saying that I have an orientation to attend Aug 16 for Correctional Deputy Probation Officer 1 here in San Diego. I just wanted to know if anyone has been through this orientation and what I should expect and what the orientation is all about.

                        Thanks

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by JaeDee555
                          I just got a letter saying that I have an orientation to attend Aug 16 for Correctional Deputy Probation Officer 1 here in San Diego. I just wanted to know if anyone has been through this orientation and what I should expect and what the orientation is all about.
                          You are very lucky to have posted here first!

                          The Probation Department asks for every job you've ever had, period. They said "it's required by Homeland Security". I figured calling bull**** would just get me thrown out, so I kept my mouth shut

                          Further, they give you one week to complete your PHS. That's right... one week. Start on it now... they use the one from the POST web site http://www.post.ca.gov/forms/2-251-phsPeaceOfficers.doc

                          Nice thing... they have notary publics there, so you don't have to go out and get things notarized on your dime If you can have your PHS finished and ready, heck, they might even take it and be glad that you're so prepared!

                          If you have any other ?s feel free to ask.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Orientation CDPO

                            Originally posted by jnojr
                            You are very lucky to have posted here first!

                            The Probation Department asks for every job you've ever had, period. They said "it's required by Homeland Security". I figured calling bull**** would just get me thrown out, so I kept my mouth shut

                            Further, they give you one week to complete your PHS. That's right... one week. Start on it now... they use the one from the POST web site http://www.post.ca.gov/forms/2-251-phsPeaceOfficers.doc

                            Nice thing... they have notary publics there, so you don't have to go out and get things notarized on your dime If you can have your PHS finished and ready, heck, they might even take it and be glad that you're so prepared!

                            If you have any other ?s feel free to ask.
                            Im working on my PHS but as for the orientation what kind of stuff will we being doing there? Is it just informational or are we going to be interacting with others? Or is it like a little pre interview? What I am asking is... What should I be getting prepared for in the orientation process?

                            Thanks for the info I really appreciate it

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by JaeDee555
                              Im working on my PHS but as for the orientation what kind of stuff will we being doing there? Is it just informational or are we going to be interacting with others? Or is it like a little pre interview? What I am asking is... What should I be getting prepared for in the orientation process?
                              It's just an orientation. They take your picture, notarize a couple of things, talk about the department and duties, give you your paperwork, etc. They also have you write a page right there, too... sort of a mini-essay. I can't remember what the topic was, and I'm sure it changes. But be prepared to write about something like "Why I want to be a Probation Officer".

                              I can't help you about after the orientation... the job history and one week caught me with my pants down. I got all the info and was printing it out at 4PM the day it needed to be turned in, and the frickin' printer ran out of ink By the time I got more, it was too late. I figured I'd be better off trying again later if I wanted to than coming in late.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 10027 users online. 441 members and 9586 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X