Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another SoCal PD question

Hey all,
    I'm still looking around in Southern Cali looking for a good department to apply to. I get out of the Marine Corps next June and I really want to have a job locked on by then. I recently got a thanks but no thanks from Ontario PD after four months in the process and now I'm looking at places like Covina, Ventura, Long Beach etc. I don't want to have to pay my own way through the academy and I'm not certified so some of the depts I like are out of the question (Pasadena, Anaheim, etc.). I'm looking for a good size dept that keeps busy (But not horribly busy), pays well, and is around a good area to live. I really like Orange County and the IE, a lot of nice places to live and the cost of living won't kill you... still high though... Well, thanks for your time!
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

Douglas Adams, "Last Chance to See"

Riverside PD and SO are hiring. RPD pays good.
    Get low, get ground, get tactical! Sprawl! Sprawl! Sprawl!

Comment

Thanks. So what kind of dept is Riverside? I haven't heard much about them from LEO's in the area. And whats up with the sign-on bonus? For some reason I take that as a bad sign Thanks again.
      Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

Comment

There are a handful of departments with a sign on bonus. I would not assume its a bad thing. Do a ride a long and check it out. I haven't heard any negative things about them. Stay away from San Bernardino PD though.
        Get low, get ground, get tactical! Sprawl! Sprawl! Sprawl!

Comment

RPD, like every other agency, is in dire need of qualified canidates, hence the bonus. I have 3 friends whom I went through the academy with that work for RPD. They love it. The only thing I can see wrong w/ RPD is the fact that as a smaller dept (But not to small) promotions can be awhile.

Riverside Sheriff is huge. A large county and if hired, they will pay for your academy, and pay you 19 or 20 bucks an hour while you do it.
          The disadvantage is the time you will spend in the jail, but it is not as long as other area SO's. Right now its between 12-18 months.

The Advantages are:
          Good benefits, Large departments mean a wider choice of jobs/stations, good opportunity for promotions.
          Plenty of special teams/assignments

The department is also very Military friendly, in my experience.

I am currently in the USMC Reserves and I Live outside the back gate of Pendleton. If you would like more detailed info, PM me and I would be more than happy to talk to you.
          Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
          --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Comment

So what about Long Beach PD? Are they good to work for as far as pay, benefeits, morale, etc.?

Comment

Hmpf...San Diego SO!
              Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Hey Willow, I heard SDSD doesn't do jail time and that the county themselves handle it. Is that true?

Comment

Neg - SDSO runs the jails, and also Court Services (formerly the Marshall's) They offer the chance to go straight to Patrol, but I don't know the specific criteria - most of the deputies I spoke with think the jail time is valuable when they do make patrol.

http://www.joinsdsheriff.net/
                  Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Redlands PD is a good agency, and I haven't heard anything bad about Chino. Murrieta is a newer city and growing like crazy. Beaumont is one of the fastest-growing cities in the State and hiring several, but if you're looking for action, probably won't be there. It's still a fairly quiet bedroom community.
                    Three Stripes beats Four Aces.
                    Retirement: You've Won the War when you're Paid to Stay at Home.

Comment

Originally posted by DUI_eliminator
                      Try the City of Orange
                      City of Orange DUI Enforcement rules!!!

I've never heard any officers speak so well of their agency as do Orange officers.

The Donut Shop : A Cop-Friendly Forum

(Please PM me for faster admittance.)

Comment

That's right. Here's a link: http://www.cityoforange.org/depts/po...nt/default.asp

The Donut Shop : A Cop-Friendly Forum

(Please PM me for faster admittance.)

Comment

Originally posted by Crash91
                          So what about Long Beach PD? Are they good to work for as far as pay, benefeits, morale, etc.?

Long Beach PD has gotten ALOT better than in the "dark days" of the '80s and '90s- they are L.A. Counties "2nd city" and i have yet to meet any new officers or older officers that weather the past misery,claim otherwise-their pay is also starting to catch up and the city is yuppying up in many places( although there is plenty of 'hood still in the LBC)- manpower is about 900-1000 for a city thats nearly a million.The competition for LBPD has always been stiff and there academy,other than LASD and OCSD to the south, has been legendary for being tough on recruits.Starting is about $55K/yr to $71K/yr ( not bad) plus 3%@50.It all depends on what you want- you sound like you know So.cal9 you've talked about everything from joining OC,and SD county agencies to the inland empire Depts) IMO, LBPD might be good if you want a large Dept, chance to move up fast/get into specialized units,but avoid some of the political B.S. that faces LAPD,and sometimes LASD-plus you need to apply for a Dept that has accelerated,out of towner application process-my take is that you should find a dept that you can drive to in 30 mins, and where you can live close to for the 1st couple of yrs on the job-with LBPD and,LAPD and some other LA.Co and OC agencies,thats possible........
                          "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Originally posted by DUI_eliminator
                            Its the best kept secret in Orange County, I can't believe more people don't apply. I helped out with the physical ability test today. 60 people applied and only 27 showed up. I spoke to the Capt. and he told me they are looking to hire 10-12 officers immediately.

All I read on this site is how folks can't get a cop job. The City of Orange is hiring. Just go check the website.

The last time I ran across OPD personnel was when I was booking a fel.warrant suspect at LAPDs VNYs Div jail- It was a Sgt,and he was picking up an officer who had gotten into a "little trouble" with booze at a friends party out in the valley.The LAPD supervisors were very "formal",almost showing contempt toward him,but that OPD Sgt was very cool and took the info, then gathered up the officer and walked him out to the unit Same Sgt seemed MORE concerned about the officers' well being than any I.A. or disciplinary issues(even watched as an LAPD Sgt and several LAPD officers walked over and told that Sgt that his officer got brought in for a C.S. reason-the OPD Sgt seemed "keen" on taking this info down)Before he left from the lot,I saw a City park Ranger and two LAPD officers ask for a business card regarding possible recruitment,and that OPD Sgt politely gave them the cards and his info for contact. bottom line- While its important to get hired on as a police officer,its MORE important to go somewhere that values you as an employee ! salary and work conditions matter alot, and you have to find an agency that can give you that.

I think the problem is that most people go for the "brand names" and get caught up on being hired by DEPT "X" becuase Dept"X" has the media rep or flashy ads-everybody knows LAPD,many know LASD or CHP,some even know OCSD or Riverside SD-but that doesn't mean you can have the optimal opportunities at those agencies.I often tell people that crime is relatively the same throughout So.Calif,so its not like your going to be stuck in po-dunk place with no action.but far too many can't seem to get it through their heads,as they often think bigger is better .you say that 27 applicants showed up out of 60 who applied for a PAT for the job?bet they were mainly people who were locals or familiar with OC agencies- a smart applicant would want those odds anyday over being one in 100 every weekend like my agency or being one in 500 like at LASD for only 10 current open spots.last PAT my Dept had, we had people who showed up thinking our Dept was some sort of "F"troop and a slide to get into-quite a few (33 out of 80) couldn't get thru the one day expedited testing, and of those who passed 20 were pre service personnel(academy trained) who probably had never thought about hiring on with my agency originally until they compared work conditions and salary to their other "choices"-and this is for 75 -100 potential open spots from 2006 to the end of 2007!.you can even go up to area academies and offer them the application and a conditional job offer-and you'll find unemployed pre service types who'll say "no thanks",I'm going for so an so PD- good luck to them as I've seen that many who put their "proverbial eggs" in that one basket rarely make it.with literally 90% of the state hiring, i often laugh at those whose egos get in the way of getting hired on a job ,or who don't do enough research to really "see" whats out there first............
                            "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

I have only applied with LASD because I have quite a few relatives already on the department but if for some reason I am DQ'd (they are reviewing my Sleep Apnea condition), I will apply with OCSD, City of Orange, LBPD, and a LAPD. I heard it is WAY hard to get hired on at LAXPD, true?! The other thing that was nice about LASD was the expidited out of state process, 4 months and I was done with everything except now they want to go further into my medical condition. I think anywhere in So. Cal you will plenty of "action", it just depends on how hard you hunt!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10092 users online. 443 members and 9649 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X